+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hip resurfacing ronan treacy  (Read 4691 times)

jimmmy8

hip resurfacing ronan treacy
« on: November 19, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
having hip resurfacing with Mr Treacy this week any tips or advise regards to post op ie what to expect with pain and movement etc i know were all different bu nice to hear peoples experiences

blinky

Re: hip resurfacing ronan treacy
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 04:39:08 PM »
Your leg will feel like a log, not like a part of you, at first. But every day will bring progress.

Use ice to keep the swelling down. Some of us swell like crazy and that can be more of a pain issue than the cut soft tissue and sanded down bone.

Stay ahead of the pain BUT be prepared not to poop for a few days!

Best of luck!

gasyz

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »
I had a Treacy hip 14 months ago and must be one of the lucky ones,hardly any pain and mobile fairly quickly.Back to a manual job after 4 weeks.The worst things for me was sitting on the staples ( and having them removed) and sleeping on my back for a while.Also the stockings were a bit of a struggle.I just listened to my body and did normal (not impact) activities as and when it felt ok.

Rbhr 60/54
Ronan Treacy, 5th September 2015

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 04:34:22 AM »
I had a Treacy hip 14 months ago and must be one of the lucky ones,hardly any pain and mobile fairly quickly.Back to a manual job after 4 weeks.The worst things for me was sitting on the staples ( and having them removed) and sleeping on my back for a while.Also the stockings were a bit of a struggle.I just listened to my body and did normal (not impact) activities as and when it felt ok.

I was also with Treacy, 13 months ago, and would echo the above, expect teh Staples were not a problem at all. It felt a bit of a drama at the time but looking back it was seamless. I only need paracetmel for painkillers so want as bad as I expected at all.

Best of luck, you picked a great surgeon so have made the best possible start.

jimmmy8

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 05:53:54 AM »
thanks for replys, my op is tomorrow, so fingers crossed .ill keep you informed of my progress .

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 05:23:51 PM »
Good Luck on your upcoming surgery.  Mr. Treacy is an excellent choice.  Let us know how you are doing - when you can.  Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

jimmmy8

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
had my hip resurfacing 5 days ago , main problem so far as been feeling of sickness but pain hasn't been too bad , taking pareacetamol ,getting out of bed bit hard and now bruising coming out, not liking sleeping on my back all the time ,is it ok too sleep on good side  with pillow between my legs might try tonite..

gasyz

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
You'll be back to normal before you know it.looking back now I wonder what all the fuss was about.I managed to dislocate my knee and tear my mcl four weeks ago and I'm having more trouble with that than when I had my BHR.
Just take it easy and enjoy the rest.
Rbhr 60/54
Ronan Treacy, 5th September 2015

jimmmy8

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
just update on my rbhr  withRonan Treacy its now 9 days post op, feeling better, sickness gone , went out today for first time and walked just over a mile with crutches,  hamstring muscle feels sore and giving bit of pain, still sleeping on my back so sleep hasn't been great, still hurts to get off bed and is slow job getting on and off sofa, but improving so that's all that matters, if the aches would go and I could sleep better would be great , but I guess it is quite invasive surgery ,

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
Jimmy it can be slow at times but its worth it in the end. I have had both hips done by Ronan 1 5 years ago and the other just over a year ago. I have since becoming a bilateral won gold medals in judo competition. I can train as hard as I want and tonight at the boxing club I help out at dropped 2 of our heavy weights :) so just enjoy this rest time, get plenty of good nutrition down your neck and rest as much as possible and when your allowed get into the pool.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

jimmmy8

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 06:24:57 PM »
Thanks Danny for the encouragement ,I shall now walk at least a mile a day think its the most natural way to use the joint ,at least in the early days,i was thinking today although there is discomfort and pain its still not as bad as a bad cold or flu!

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »
Just find that line where the discomfort turns to pain and dont cross it mate as you set yourself back like that. I know I pushed too hard at times and then couldnt do anything for dsys so remember too much is counter productive. Bht youll get pleny of great advice abd support on here mate :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 04:18:43 AM »
Re the sleeping on your back, pillow between the legs and sleep on un-operated side is the answer.

But email Ronan first and check with him. That's what I did and pretty sure it was before 9 days post op. He is really good for replying quickly to emails for a busy man.

jimmmy8

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 06:31:46 AM »
just an update on my resurfacing with Ronan Treacy I'm now 24vdays post op ,stockings have gone, finished injections ,staples are out ,the nurse said it was the neatest she had seen  ,bruising  gone, pain almost gone didn't sleep properly for nearly 3 weeks but that seems to be changing ,and today going to watch West Ham !still on 2 crutches was told to keep with 2 for atleast 4 weeks  although I use 1 around the house , I think depending on how difficult the op was  depends how long you have to protect the  BHR and the  joint , the physio said she was told I was to stay on 2 for 6 weeks  when I asked Ronan he said at least 4weeks so to sum up so far it seems to be going well , I guess the real test is how it is when walking without crutches  but I can walk about 3 miles with them so at least my arms are stronger !!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Sounds like things are moving right along for you. Don't push too quickly - you will have a life time ahead of you for that.

Give us an update when you can.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

vonhouser

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »
Your experience sounds a lot like mine. I'm on day 11, waking with one crutch but I think it will be awhile before I have a normal gait and can walk without any. Waking 2-3 miles a day. Glad to know the not sleeping happens and that yours cleared up around three weeks. It's better every day, and I like the discomfort as bad as the flu analogy.

Looking forward to getting rid of then stocking and blood thinners!
49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz