+-

Advertisement

Poll

How much pain did you have before surgery?

Almost nothing
1 (1.9%)
Pain after extreme sports activity
2 (3.8%)
Pain on and off on regular basis
23 (44.2%)
Extreme pain with difficulty standing, walking, sitting or sleeping
18 (34.6%)
Pain all the time
8 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Pain Level Before Hip Resurfacing Surgery  (Read 4893 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Pain Level Before Hip Resurfacing Surgery
« on: November 28, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »
Poll about pain level before hip resurfacing surgery.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:28:04 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

Re: Pain Level Before Hip Resurfacing Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »
I wasn't sure what to choose on this question. I was in pain pretty much all the time, but not terrible pain. It was like background noise, static. I could tune it out.

vonhouser

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »
Blinky,

I know what you mean. I think those of us that successfully deal with pain for this long have learned to tune it out. It's an important coping skill. But it makes it hard to be objective.

I mostly just wanted a sense of how much pain people had before, and then in the other poll how long it was before their experienced relief.

49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »
I had good days and bad days, but I was in pain 24 hours a day. Just lying down or sitting it was a continual deep ache. If I tried to cross my ankles/legs, or roll over in bed, it felt like my hip was being ripped apart. I was taking 200mg of Celebrex/day at this point. If I didn't take it at all I was in pure agony.

One day last December I woke up one morning and didn't feel any pain. I was so relieved. Then I moved. :(

Relief was immediate upon having surgery. Now, ten months later, my right hip feels like a normal hip that never had arthritis.

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
Chronic pain both hips for 8 years.
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
Increasing pain until the last year (of 7) was almost continuous with dislocation of the hip several times.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

greggf34

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
This is complex.  Anytime I was standing I had pain.  It changed day to day and depended on activity levels.  I limped all the time to protect it.  Some days I would say mild, other times by evening I could barely walk.

ahausheer

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
With any weight bearing I had a sold 6-7 level of pain all day and 100mg of Tramadol barely touched it.

It should be noted I had quite good cartilage spacing. The source of my pain was completely absent on xray and never conclusively found and one surgeon actually turned me down because of it. 

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
Hip #1 in 2012:  I was in-and-out of pain.  When it first started, I would ache for a few days, then it would subside for months.  It wasn't until I joined a tennis league when this started to shift.  It wouldn't always happen, but when it did, I would be in pain from 1-4 days, then no pain for a month or two.  It slowly shifted to where the pain would be longer and the pain-free moments would be shorter.  As I got closer to a decision, I would be in horrible pain for 7-10 days (couldn't sleep, walk, sit, etc...), followed by ever shorter periods of no pain.   Funny thing is, the day before my surgery I ran 4 pain free miles.

Hip #2 in 2020:  I went from only occasional pain to 24-7 pain, and it stayed for 3 months.  That's when I scheduled my surgery.  Then, starting in July, it subsided to the point that I wasn't in much pain at all, and it stayed at that level right up to surgery.  However, I had completely modified my activity level to cut out anything that might set it off.  So, really I was only out of pain because I wasn't doing much.  Biking was the only exercise I could do.  No HIIT training.  No boot camp-style things.  No jumps, no squats.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

jwall07

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 06:17:03 AM »
Constant dull pain. Extreme pain running downhill and I had bad falls twice when running:  shooting pain in hip resulted in sudden collapse on “bad” side.
Dr. Gross, 5/2019

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat