+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing and pelvic pain, UTI, cystitis, etc.  (Read 2439 times)

Dessay

Resurfacing and pelvic pain, UTI, cystitis, etc.
« on: December 01, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »
Hi all! Some useful info:

As a result of any hip prosthesis, muscle imbalances occur, we know that from experience on this forum and others.

But what females need to be aware of (and I guess males too!) is that those muscle imbalances can wreak havoc on our urinary and defecation systems, to the point of discomfort, pain and symptoms mimicking UTIs and tailbone trouble.

My hip was done in April, and I spent 2 months on crutches and another month on a cane, and kept using the cane periodically until I felt better. When I finally started walking unassisted, it took about 3 weeks for pelvic symptoms to set in.

For the last 2 months, I thought I had chronic UTIs or maybe even cystitis. I finally went to see a urogynecologist, and she diagnosed massive pelvic muscle imbalances that are pulling on my urethra, of all things. I was getting the usual discomfort, pain, etc. tailbone pain as well. Sex seemed to be a trigger as well- the friction would always cause flares. My husband was bummed, indeed!

So I'm getting some pelvic floor physical therapy for 3 months to sort things out, and she also prescribed an internal cream from a compounding pharmacy that's doing wonders to alleviate my symptoms in the short term until I can retrain my muscles.

Dr Gross' office is a little behind the curve here- they just told me to take ibuprofen and sit on a donut. He's a surgeon, and his job is to cut, so I get it, but I didn't want to stop with a band aid.

If you're having urinary, defecation and other pelvic issues after hip prosthesis, I strongly urge you to check this out!

All Best to everyone!

Cara
Right Biomet Dr Gross 3/30/16  42mm

blinky

Re: Resurfacing and pelvic pain, UTI, cystitis, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »
Thank you for posting this!

There are all kinds of issues we as patients must figure out that are not on the doctors' radars. That is why this forum is so helpful. Patients should get together and exchange experiences and concerns and solutions.

(My husband had cancer more than twenty years ago. He had some lymph nodes removed and went through chemo. The cancer treatment was a great success and the cancer never came back---yay! But losing those lymph nodes set him up to have all kinds of issues with swelling in his leg. Thankfully, he met some other patients during his treatment  who were further along and they counseled him on what to do to manage the swelling. Dealing with this issue from the start, he hasn't had any serious problems with lymphadema. )

catfriend

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:58:28 PM »
Wow. I hadn't heard of that possibility. It makes me wonder how common it is. Maybe Pat should do a poll on this?

I didn't have this problem, but I always say everybody's recovery is different. I'm glad you've found help for this issue. You've definitely had a hard road.

Dessay

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 08:49:24 PM »
Hi blinky and catfriend-

Blinky- oh my gosh, I'm so glad your hubbie is ok. My mom had 17 nodes removed from her armpit during her mast, and her arm is huge now. It's so sad. I'm so glad your hubbie didn't have issues there. Does he do drainage massage?

Catfriend- my symptoms really weren't even that bad, but something just didn't "feel right." I didn't know some gynos practice urology and I also didn't even know pelvic floor physical therapy is a "thing." I hear it can help prostatitis for guys, too!
Right Biomet Dr Gross 3/30/16  42mm

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »
Yes, pelvic floor PT is definitely a thing. A PT that I saw for my ankle injury 4 years ago now has a practice devoted to this. From her website: "The muscles of your core and pelvic floor hold your organs in place, maintain bladder and bowel continence, keep you balanced over your feet, and contribute to sexual function and pleasure." It can be an issue after pregnancy, injury, or disease. Or, in your case, post-surgery. I'm glad it's working for you :D

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear