+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: First skiing on new hip - experience  (Read 4281 times)

Robert224466

First skiing on new hip - experience
« on: December 03, 2016, 03:52:11 PM »
Hi,

I just went skiing for the first time this past week and was curious about others experience. Before surgery, I did a reasonable amount of skiing - probably 25 days last year. I'm pretty reasonable but a bit below expert. Usually I spend my days on advanced groomed runs. Some ungroomed advanced runs. And except for really nasty moguls, almost never fall. Like once every few days.

So, past Tuesday I decide to test out my new hip. Start on very easy beginner run. Five turns in and bam. I go down. Certainly not hurt. More just confused by what happened. I spent the rest of the day on beginner slopes just relearning how to turn, etc. I suspect that a) my muscle memory got reset and b) my right foot isn't used to pointing forward.

Anyone else experience this?

Robert

LMS

Re: First skiing on new hip - experience
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:28:26 AM »
Makes sense that you need to restart from square one.  Your muscles, as you were deteriorating prior to surgery, were compensating as needed to get the result you were striving for.  Now that the root problem is resolved, these muscles do not need to compensate anymore & need to relearn their new & appropriate roles.

Take your time, give them time to reset & relearn new & proper muscle memory & by the end of the season, you'll be back close or where you were.  Time & patience & ego aside is key for a long term success.  ;)

I was stuck at the intermediate level riding wise because of my hip & as it deteriorated, my body worked harder to try & stay there.  After my first scope, I got royally knocked down my "high horse" as my hip muscles no longer worked.  I was back to square one.  It frustrate the heck out of me because my head was still at the highest level I was at but my body wasn't.  I never did get back to that level.  But I finally had a THR this past June & I swore to take my time to rebuild, as it also felt different this time.  My root issue is gone.

I now have the all clear to get back in the saddle & am making sure I am taking the appropriate time to let my hip muscles relearn what they need to, to have a successful return & better outcome.  I was chomping at the bit to get back to where I wanted to be but in reality, I know my body will take the time it needs & I am listening to it.  :)

So have fun on the kiddy slopes for now, you want many winters of skiing fun. :)

Quig

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »
While I don't disagree a bit with LMS' suggestion to take your time and let your body re-learn how to use that hip, I have a different suggestion. Get back on that horse! If you had several unexpected falls in terrain you normally wouldn't fall on I'd say worrying might be in order. However, one easy tumble isn't reason for concern in my opinion. Crashes happen, don't over-think it!  8)

It's been a long time since I've skied so I can't use that as an example but I mountain biked A LOT before my surgeries and have been riding during my recovery. In the last several months I've had a couple little tip-overs and one damn good crash. Guess what, before my surgeries I'd have the occasional tipover and certainly had a couple good crashes over the years so I don't see any reason for concern.

Sounds to me like you're a very, very proficient skier, so trust your skills and instincts and your body's ability to relearn and you'll be back to normal in no time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:26:19 PM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

John C

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »
Hi Robert,
I had a similar surprise my first day back on skis, which was a real surprise. I grew up ski racing, competed successfully at the top level in Freestyle, and have been teaching full time out west for the past 45 years. I am usually on skis 8 hours a day for 140 to 150 days straight every season. At exactly six months after my resurfacing, I hiked up our mountain just before opening day of the season excited to try out my new hip. I started to make my first turn, and careened all the way across the run into the trees with no control; yikes! I stood there for a few minutes and gave myself a good pep talk. I then skied down the rest of the run with no problems, but very slow with a lot of technical awareness. When the lifts opened a couple of days later, I spent the first few hours on the beginner slope. By the end of that day, I was agressively skiing steeps in deep chopped powder and feeling pretty good. I will say that for me, the key was really focusing on precise technique with very focused body awareness. I hate skiing on auto-pilot anyway, but coming back from the resurfacing was a real study in precise technical awareness.
My only suggestion is that if you have not been a precise technician in the past, this would be a great opportunity to delve into that, rather than skiing on muscle memory. For me, that fits with how I think about skiing anyway, so it might not work for you, but it might explain those early falls.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

phillwad

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:29:50 PM »
Great information.
I really took my time as I think if the pair of new hips as a long term intestment.  I waited a full year before I was "fully back"

Now 5 years out I am really enjoying the freedom. Completed about 100 miles of cross country skiing this year - would be more if we had less rain and more snow!!

MattJersey

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 05:02:59 AM »
I'm heading towards three year anniversary, and I'm in the telecabin on way up for my next bunch of runs. This morning has been first proper skiing on my hip and it is great. Left hip and knee is another matter altogether!

#lovemybhr
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

blinky

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:54:58 AM »
Wow!
I haven't been skiing yet. I'll admit I am still nervous about falling.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat