+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 Months to Go! Question  (Read 2048 times)

Gretsch6

2 Months to Go! Question
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »
Hi All - I have decided to have my right hip resurfaced this coming Feb.  I was going to have it done lat Sept but postponed....cortisone (my fourth in 4 years) was still working and I wanted to coach hockey one more season.  I have a question.  I have OA in both hips.  Right is much worse.  My surgeon said that once I have right hip resurfaced, my left may feel better.  Anyone experience this? I did experience this with my last cortisone injxn.  First three cortisone shots were done on both.  The last one was done on right only and it seemed to relieve my left side. 

I am looking forward to getting this done. After about 4 years of dealing with OA,  I know its now time.  I can handle the aches....the lack of range of motion os the most frustrating and challenging aspect of this problem!   I am 49 year old former hockey player.  Very active.  Lifting weights, running ( no more however), biking, golfing ( a challenge as My club requires walking only).

Wish me luck! 

MattJersey

Re: 2 Months to Go! Question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 12:05:38 PM »
Seasons greetings to everyone, happy hippy Xmas.

Good luck on your forthcoming op, although you shouldn't need any luck as the experienced surgeons seem pretty adept at producing great results. Who are you using?

Regarding the "other hip" question, I hope the theory works out. Personally speaking I was unaware of any left hip issue really prior to my right BHR. However, in the 20 months since surgery it has been telling me it was working hard for the 20 years carrying the dodgy one, and wouldn't mind the same miracle cure! I suspect I will end up with a number two within a few years from now, but based on my experience to date it would probably be best done sooner!

Best wishes for a great outcome with your Feb appointment.

Matt
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »
Good luck with your upcoming surgery.  When the body has a joint problem, the rest of the joints, muscles and ligaments are working unbalanced to make up for the problems.  Many times the other hip, knees and back have problems, too.  It will take time for them to get back to normal after hip surgery.  Until the hip is healed and working well, everything else might still be out of balanced and in pain.  It is important to give our bodies plenty of time to heal.  It is a long process.  The longer your hip was not working right - the longer your whole body has been out of balance.  Always wait and see about associated problems until your hip is well healed.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:59:37 PM »
 8) Yo good luck Gret.  :D
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

surfhippy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
When I had my right hip resurfaced, the doc (Gross) said my left hip looks about 3 years away from surgery. I'd have to say he may be right due to how active I have been now that my right hip feels great after 7 years of pain, and now my left is trying to keep up. I assume your doctor stated this because of the pressure on your left side compensating for the bad right hip. I say get the right done,do your rehab, and really work with a pt getting your body in balance again. This will allow a great recovery and will unveil any other issues your body is having. I'm a year and a half out and still working on a balanced body. Gladly my left doesn't hurt often, but I do notice it now my right is fixed. Good luck, and I bet one of the things you will say when you are healed is, I wish I would have done it sooner. Cheers!
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat