+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 8 Month Progress Report.  (Read 3144 times)

Quig

8 Month Progress Report.
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:19:07 PM »
Time continues to positively fly by and I am still incredibly pleased with my new chrome parts.

Starting about the 6 month mark I began increasing the intensity of my mountain biking and spin bike training. While I'm definitely not back to 100% strength I feel like I'm heading in the right direction and feel like my progress is accelerating. I'm deliberately trying to not overdo it so each ride I'm holding back a bit but less and less as time goes by....

At this point I've backed off the gym a little in favor of more specific bike training. I'm riding more, and harder and also hitting the spin bike for over an hour of intervals a few times a week. I'm really enjoying the progress and the exercise! Last weekend I jumped on my hard tail mountain bike and went for a long cruise to see how my body would react to many hours in the saddle. I did a bit over 52 miles and about 2700 feet of climbing and sampled all kinds of terrain from paved roads to dirt roads to almond orchards to canal banks to foothill trails and bike path and everything in between. I didn't push hard and spent nearly 5 hours on the bike and could not believe how good I felt. I considered it a test run and a very successful one at that. I'm still holding out hope to participate in a very, very difficult 100+ mile gravel race in February and after this ride I'm convinced it is quite possible I can get myself into enough shape to be able to do it.

I cannot be happier with how I'm feeling and my decision to have my hips fixed! I hope everyone else is doing well also!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 04:05:04 PM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

LMS

Re: 8 Month Progress Report.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:31:13 PM »
Awesome!

Quig

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
Awesome!

Thanks. I'm really enjoying getting back into shape. Did another pretty decent mtb ride today and it went great. I hope your recovery is going well also.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 08:36:42 AM »
Quig - a 57 miles bike ride sounds awesome!  Keep up the good work.  Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Joe_CA

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:08:05 PM »
That's great Quig. I can't believe you're already biking hardcore distances. No doubt you'll be in shape to do any level of riding you want to in the next couple of months. So, if you had to assess your strength level now at the 8 month mark, what would you guess?

Keep up the great progress.
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Quig

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 12:25:12 AM »
That's great Quig. I can't believe you're already biking hardcore distances. No doubt you'll be in shape to do any level of riding you want to in the next couple of months. So, if you had to assess your strength level now at the 8 month mark, what would you guess?

Keep up the great progress.

Thanks Joe. I would say I'm back to 80% or so right now as far as biking and improving quickly. In the last 6 weeks or so I've REALLY turned up the frequency and intensity of training and finally my body feels ready and is responding in a way I'm incredibly pleased with. I could not be happier with the progress.

How are YOU doing? Everything going ok?

Joe_CA

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 09:46:59 PM »
I'm doing great Whig. I plan on posting my story very soon. And 80% strength at only the 8th month is awesome. Shows that hard work before and after the surgeries truly pays off.
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Joe_CA

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 09:50:35 PM »
Sorry, Quig not Whig. Lol.
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Quig

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:57:38 AM »
I'm really glad it went well and that your'e doing great Joe. Looking forward to reading about it.

LMS

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 04:04:38 PM »

Thanks. I'm really enjoying getting back into shape. Did another pretty decent mtb ride today and it went great. I hope your recovery is going well also.

That's great!  My husband has been after me to join him cycling & it never interested me but I think this year I'll give it a try.

Progress with the new hip is awesome but I've been a baaaaad hipster & stopped doing my physio after the 4th month check up & so uhm... yeah, gained back 8 of the 15 lbs I'd lost. :-X   I need to *cough cough* get back to exercising & watching what I consume (I started drinking pop again... I'm horrible!)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat