+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: MRI scan after BHR  (Read 2700 times)

MattJersey

MRI scan after BHR
« on: December 30, 2016, 02:50:42 AM »
Hi all, hope all well and ready for an amazing hip-pain-free 2017.

I'm about 20 months post op, my right hip is great, golf is great ... but there is a but ...

In mid August I injured my left knee, an innocuous twist, a click, and then problems ensued. Just cartilage damage physio said, and it hasn't affected my golf, although I am now wondering if my golf is interfering with its recovery.

Up until about a month ago it seemed to be steady, albeit slow, improvement. I was rowing and got regular then got hit with a cold/flu which knocked me out for past few weeks. The original injury site is fine and the symptoms from it seem quite settled but I seem to have pains elsewhere in the knee from time to time, and at the moment pain behind the kneecap and below the kneecap if I tighten my quads. Especially when climbing stairs I notice.

So I'm wondering if I've got something floating around in there or loose. An MRI scan might be helpful I think, but that worries me. I know it is supposed to be just fine and there are specs of the MRI power up to which it is fine. But it still worries me.

Have any of the long term hippies undergone an MRI since surgery? I think that would reassure me. I'm writing to the surgeon's office too.

Any other knee advice also welcomed.

Thanks all.

Matt

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:52:44 AM by MattJersey »
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Granton

Re: MRI scan after BHR
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »
Hi Matt,

I have two BHRs and over the last year or so have had MRI scans of both knees. No problem at all.

For the first one they said to stop them if I felt heat in the hip, but it felt absolutely fine.

I hope you can get the knee sorted.

David
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

MattJersey

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 08:09:33 PM »
Thanks David, Pam at McMinn Centre also reassured.

Fingers crossed for knee.

Best to all for 2017.

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 04:42:33 AM »
 :) 8) Yo Matt.
Have you strengthened your hip after surgery correctly as it takes sometimes over 2 years to get the strength back in it correct?. Did you follow a program for how many months to get it back the same as the good one? This will give you knee problems if not sorted correctly still and feel like the knee is twisting up when the knee could be ok. Knees are terrilbe for clicking and popping. An MRi should be fine as the coil is placed under the knee not under the hip.
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:27:49 AM »
I had an mri on my right hip to confirm that there was zero cartilage left. I just had to tell the operator about my other BHR :)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 05:06:34 PM »

Matt, try getting on the foam roller. Roll the I.T. band, quads, hamstrings, and make sure you roll right onto the kneecap and sides so as to massage the tendons and ligaments surrounding the knee. When the knee gets a little angry it sometimes tracks a little off and a little loosening sets it right.

It might take a few sessions but you should see improvement.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

MattJersey

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 03:27:37 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I've been getting on the bike and do feel the strengthening of my left leg is improving the knee pain, so will work on that. And, chuckm, I will give that a try. Stretching in general is something I have been lazy about.

Hopefully get MRI done soon, or perhaps ultra sound, and see what that shows.

Cheers.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat