+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 and Half Year Progress.  (Read 2471 times)

shoraztri

2 and Half Year Progress.
« on: January 06, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »
Hi All Fellow Hippies,

Hope that 2017 sees us all cranking along and enjoying our lives with our new hip/hips.!!  :D

Its now 30 months Post Op, [7/7/2014] and everything is just great with my hip. I have no worries or problems doing Triathlon, so long as I keep it to Standard Olympic Distance/Sprint Distances only.
Swimming and Biking pose no issues, but once I start running in excess of 12km, whammo, the pain starts to arise. Any thought of doing a Half Ironman is "out the back-door". I find I can manage 3 Run sessions per week of about a 5km, 8km and 11km.

What does help alot is that virtually all of my running is done on grass or a soft type surface. All in all, life is treating me and my HIP brilliantly, so fingers crossed it stays this way and I can keep competing on the Triathlon scene.  ;)

Cheers to ya All,
Kiwi Bloke from Down Under.
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

MattJersey

Re: 2 and Half Year Progress.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 03:29:55 AM »
Great news shoraztri, I think your happy state owes a lot to your training discipline and patience. Long may it continue!
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
Kiwi Boy

Great to hear.  Glad you are really back to being active and normal!

Keep up the good work.  Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how well you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

phillwad

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
I agree that running on grass or trails really help. I try not to run on the road. 5 to 10km is about my distance also.

Maybe I am just getting older!

petemeads

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
Hi Shorty, just a short note (prompted by Matt Jersey's latest post) to say 2016 was the best year for ages for running, biking and climbing but my surgeon's prediction of 2 years life for my second hip was pretty accurate - started limping badly after a ten mile hike on December 4rh, recovered well enough to run my 250th parkrun on Xmas day but have now abandoned running, seen my surgeon for X-rays and am waiting for a date hopefully in May for my next BHR. Would rather have waited for Oct/Nov but walking badly is making other joints & spine hurt. Funny thing is I am setting PBs for cycling with minimal pain from the hip. Will let you know how I get on, hoping very much for same again!

Edit: Date set for May 2nd, in the afternoon - that was quick. Just a couple of weeks to get nervous..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:06:16 AM by petemeads »
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

MattJersey

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
Fingers crossed for a successful op Pete. Are you seeing same surgeon as first?

petemeads

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »
Yes, Christopher Kershaw. He did a fine job on my left hip and the hospital is 10 minutes drive away. I did ask him about the different sides and which was more awkward - apparently the acetabular reaming is easier on the right side but the femoral bit is harder..
The only slight worry is he has only done two or three BHR since me as there is little demand for it around here (compared to 300 total hips in the same period). Still confident in his abilities though.
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

MattJersey

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 02:24:28 AM »
Presumably your op is on private healthcare?

I wonder about my next one, two issues:

a. Will Mr McMinn still be operating in two years? Surely retirement can't be too far away.

b. Now self employed and no employer funded private healthcare. So, do I dip in my pocket for private (£14k) or look for some alternative? Here in Jersey we have a surgeon, Colin Dunlop, who does the procedure and I know folk who've had it with him. However, I think he is primarily a THR expert and I believe absolutely top of the game with that procedure. I've not been able to learn anything more on Mr Dunlop, how many BHRs total, how many last year ...

I am leaning towards private with Mr McMinn, but it's a lot of money ...

petemeads

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 02:59:55 AM »
Yes, I stayed with BUPA after retirement but it is getting pretty expensive due to age and loss of 'no claims' bonus - though still cheaper than two self-funded BHRs of course!
Ronan Treacy still does NHS work I believe, I had wondered whether I should see him because of his experience and success, many on here have used him. Worth asking the question? Every bit as capable as McMinn himself, a friend of mine had his BHR fitted in 1997 by Treacy..

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat