+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leg size and muscle changes.  (Read 2385 times)

Joe_CA

Leg size and muscle changes.
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
Anyone else who has had hip resurfacing (or THR) notice the size of your leg(s) have noticeably changed, even in the early stages post-surgery? I'm about 10 weeks out, and my upper thighs are probably 2-4 inches thicker in diameter. This is just a guess, as I have never measured them before or after my bilateral surgeries.

I mentioned earlier in another thread that I had let my hips deteriorate for so long, that it appeared I was becoming bow-legged. Now I don't know if it was truly this, or simply the fact that my inner thighs appeared to have atrophied over the years due to the structural changes from arthritis. These muscles in my legs have recovered really quickly, which is somewhat strange since I'm only walking and doing stretches that should only be strengthening muscles in my outer/front of the hips.

Anyway, I guess I haven't used these muscles for many years, and they've recovered pretty fast. I'm rather impressed!
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Mike D

Re: Leg size and muscle changes.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:29:38 PM »
Hi Joe,
My thigh size has increased quite a lot since my THR in 2012 but it took about 18 months before i noticed the increase.
Like you, I did lots of walking and always felt the muscles being worked but it never seemed to get any bigger.
Playing walking football has really helped though, and it's now very close to being the same size as my other leg.
It sounds like you're doing all the right things, keep it going!
Cheers Mike.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Quig

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:08:14 PM »
This sounds like very good news Joe!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

John C

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 09:40:47 PM »
I have not noticed any changes in thigh diameter. However, it has been interesting to note that even after almost 9 years, my resurfaced leg is still only about 75% as strong as my non-operated arthritic hip in terms of reps to failure. In fairness, I have never given the resurfaced leg extra work to build it back up, but instead just work both legs out with the same exercises and resistance. When doing single leg reps, the resurfaced leg always fails at about 75% of the reps of the arthritic leg. I don't notice the difference during my sports activities, but only when doing workouts in the gym.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:06:33 AM »
 8) My strength is building on week by week I do not know when it will stop that in it self is a reminder that there were issues.
Combine that with the correct absorption of food and I cannot tell when it is going to stop getting better. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz