+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Failed Cormet hip resurfacing  (Read 3034 times)

RUSS H.

Failed Cormet hip resurfacing
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:21:13 PM »
     I had a Cormet hip resurfacing done 8 years ago (Dec 2008).  Last summer I started getting some little sharp twinges every so often.  It got worse as the summer went on and I had xrays in September which weren't really conclusive.  My surgeon wanted a blood test and MRI.  I had the blood test for chromium and cobalt levels. I skipped the MRI. (claustrophobic) The blood levels came back increased but relatively low.  I asked if I could hold off on a revision and stop all athletic activities ( exercise, golf and over 50 ice hockey) The pain only got worse and by January I was walking with a cane.  I saw my surgeon in February and we set up a revision to a THR on March 14, 2017.

Has anyone had the Cormet HR and experience any of these issues?  I was hoping to get more than 8 years out of it, although I had 7 good years.  I know they took the Cormet off the market due to metal on metal wear, metallosis and breakdown of bone .  Do I have a case against the manufacturer ? I'll be missing a good 4 weeks of work of which I am the sole producer and would want to be compensated for that if at all possible.

I'd appreciate any feedback before I go under the knife...again.   Russ H

Mike D

Re: Failed Cormet hip resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 04:08:31 PM »
Hi Russ,
Sorry to hear your Cormet device needs replacing so soon.
I don't know anything about your case for compensation but just wanted to say that i hope you don't see a revision to THR as a bad thing.
If you can have a large ball ceramic/ oxinium device, the restrictions are minimal and for most over 50's, nothing much changes as your marathon  running  and rugby playing days have passed.
I'll need my other side 'doing ' within two years and i hope I'll be a HR candidate, but if not, I'll have no worries at all about another THR.
Whatever your route, good luck. Cheers Mike.

Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Saf57

Re: Failed Cormet hip resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
Hi Russ--I'm sorry to hear of this. I have had the corin cormet 2000 device in my right hip for over 14 years, having been part of the original FDA trials for the device. I'm still doing well. Dr. Gross, who did mine, implanted several hundred of these during the trial phase, and published his results in 2012. I believe that survivorship rates were something like 93% at 11 years out. This is in line, or perhaps only marginally less than the BHR device(which I now have in my other hip).My own personal opinion is that the device is fine, although others might disagree. As many have said on this site and elsewhere, it's surgical skill, and being a good candidate, that are the determining factors for long term success. In any event, I hope that things work out for you, and best of luck to you.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear