+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing after failed FAI Surgery  (Read 8554 times)

Shotohips

Resurfacing after failed FAI Surgery
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:10:51 PM »
Hello All,

I am a 35 y/o male who is 1 year 4 months post-op from arthroscopic surgery on my left side and 1 year 6 months on my right side. Right side is doing well, but the left has given me continuos problem. Recent MRI shows osteophytes on my femural head.

My question is has anyone had experience with having resurfacing done after FAI surgery? I had both cam and pincer osteoplasty done and I am scared that the bone shaving done may rule me out being a resurfacing candidate.

At this point, I am willing to travel anywhere to be pain free and get my active life back.

Thanks!

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Right Conserve+, 12/12/17
Dr. De Smet

Quig

Re: Resurfacing after failed FAI Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »
I can't comment on having had any surgery prior to my resurfacings but I know there are plenty of others here who have. It will not have any impact on you being a candidate for resurfacing.

I just turned 40, had mine done at 39 and have been suffering since about 31 so similiarish to your situation it seems. I cannot say enough good things about the results of my surgeries and I'm still recovering and improving. 

Get into contact with the surgeons you see on this site, the more experienced the better and see what they can do for you. I don't think you'll regret it.

Good luck.
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Shotohips

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply. I am currently in Chamonix, Fr trying my best to enjoy the mountains, but I am quite limited.

I have a plan to reach out to Dr. Gross, Dr. Su, and Dr. De Smet. 

All the best!

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

Quig

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:43:21 PM »
You're welcome. You've come to the right place, you'll find an incredible amount of info here and plenty of very very helpful people with experience with exactly what you're going through. 

Sorry to hear your hips are badly affecting your trip! I've been there, I totally get it.

You're looking in the right direction for sure. I had narrowed my search to Dr. Su and Dr. Gross. I went with Dr. Gross and couldn't be happier with that decision.

Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »
 8) Yep Hi Shoto I sent you a message so I hope you have received it.
Yes the bone shaving can make it worse for the resurfacing surgeon however De Smet has had experience at me and I was very very difficult case as expressed in the message.
If your dominant  pincer type as I was your internal and external rotation will suck I mean suck..... mine now is about 80 degs before and after the FAI surgery it never changed much this was a massive indication I was not normal.
So keep at asking the questions...
Age - Gender - height - frame size. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Shotohips

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 07:03:07 AM »
Thank you so much Karlos. Your message was very kind and insightful. I have reach out to Dr. De Smet, he has already responded to me. I have to send him X-Rays to discuss further.

My FAI surgeries were quite complex as well. Each surgery was just over 3 hours long. I had huge cam deformities, complete labral repair with graft, and acetabular (pincer) resection to address the chondral damage. When I decided to go this route, the surgeon I chose had over 2000 hip arthroscopies and from what I understood at the time, it was the best decision. Knowing what I know now, I would have never gone through with it. It is easy to say this after the fact, but I am so much more limited now then I was before!

Anyhow, trying to stay positive. I have great people around me and this website is such a resource! What this website has done to share experiences and help out is exactly what the world needs! Thank you to all of you for your contribution! I will continue to post updates and more about journey to continue the sharing.

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

karlos.bell

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:34:49 AM »
 8) Nice Shoto.
Cam deformities are normally ok reduced. 1 has to be careful if and when this is done then ---- resurfacing is  that loading on the femur is not fully functional until about a year later due this may be the weak spot. The joint will take it but be careful. Ok also from what I know they in some countries do not touch the ace tabular socket anymore due once they muck around with this it is all over rover,,,,
They make it worse.... So if any one is getting FAI surgery done personally now from what I have seen do not touch the socket only reattach the labrum and remove the cam otherwise they make it worse.
hence mine was a strong pincer or socket FAI I was screwed......... Deep sockets..... But there is light at the end of the tunnel........ Resurfacing "if it is done well"....
Hope it all goes well.... :) Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Shotohips

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 09:03:21 PM »
Quick update here while I can't sleep (2:45AM here), but at least I got my german shepherd puppy sleeping next to me :)

I had two cortisone injections today. One in the intra-articular and another in the psoas bursa. Hopefully some comfort to come from this. I got them done in Geneva, Switzerland; not cheap as I don't have Swiss insurance! On another note, the fluoroscopy showed the narrow joint spacing and new osteophyte since my surgery 16 months ago. It also showed the acetabular resection and a subchondral cyst on the femoral head. I am ready for surgery! I am just worried about all the bone shaving done that may affect a resurfacing outcome.

On a extremely positive note, I emailed Dr. De Smet two days ago and he responded in less then 24 hours. He said previous ahtroscopic surgies usually don't affect resurfacing, but wants to look at x-rays to be sure. We had a back and forth and all responses were within minutes. Next plan of action is to get new x-rays in France and send them to him. New x-rays will be going to Dr. Gross and Dr. Su as well.

As I keep on trying to sleep, all I remember is my previous surgeon telling me that the scope surgery was a medical no-brainer. This is someone I had done my homework on, had 2000+ scopes, and wasn't in-network!

If anyone is wondering what I am doing in Europe, I'll be more than happy to share..

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

Ljpviper

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 01:41:08 PM »
Shotohips, I got about the same from my hip scopes roughly 2 years then they failed. Dr.Gross has done many patients with failed scopes.

Good luck,

Larry

karlos.bell

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »
 8) You be fine with the bone shaving just a point to  make don't over do it when you get better... take it easy.... You be fine.
The point with FAI an some other hip conditions is they never get worse they issues just go around and around and it limits your functionality in life...
Typically this is what I experienced "it never got worse" But it was bad enough to put me on crutches for 8 years of my life lose a job and create havick for my family as you were now disabled.
I had pictures to the normal surgeon that had cartilage still in my hips so no one was ever going to touch me like that except De Smet. I used to get "your got young man hips"
Good luck Shoto.

Cheers K
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Ljpviper

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »
I think there is a lot more controversy now in the scope world of what can and cant be fixed in your hip. I frequent some of the other forums and it seems scopes could solve about anything even minor arthritis with the microfracture technique in the past, but surgeons are taking a step back.

I believe they are seeing more failures with the patients with even minimal arthritis. Also, even some of my CAM impingement grew back, so it makes you wonder how effective these FAI scope procedures are if you have large CAM impingements and your hip is torn up, even if you are young.

Interesting topic.

Larry

Shotohips

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 06:32:08 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Larry and Karlos. I am looking forward to getting out this cycle. I am really working hard to maintain my very active lifestyle. Like many others, my life revolves these activities and its really engrained into who I am. With that said, I hope I am lucid enough to learn from these experiences and hopefully apply these experience to make me grow as person.

Regarding the scope topic, knowing what I know now, I would not advise it to anyone who has sever case of any impingement or any kind of cartilage damage. I would take how I was feeling before the two surgeries over how I am feeling now any day. I did my right side 1.5 years ago and the left side 1.25 years ago. Prior to the surgeries, I was doing long hikes, multi-pitch climbing, and long days out on my road bike. Now, I haven't even gotten close to that level. I have had setbacks after setbacks. Although, I would say I have learned how to paraglide in the last 4 months :)

Larry, did your scope surgeries include any resecting of your acetabular? My surgeon resected parts of my socket 5mm back. I am concerned this will affect the amount of bone I will have around the new cup, also making me use a smaller one as well. Anyhow, I am very early in the process. The first surgeon should get my x-rays next week.

Thanks again for your input everyone. I am very nervous and scared!
Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

karlos.bell

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 06:26:32 PM »
 8) Shoto don't be nervous...... Be cool calm......... Ok yep I had all of what you have had done. Resecting .... cam. pincer resection right and left anchors etc..... Bla bla... I was a most difficult patient took hoursand hours of scoping. Did it work nope it made me worse...... Ask De Smet about the patient from New Zealand he  will say it was difficult but he made silk out of a sours ear........ Awesome for me..

I do know about all the differences with FAI and your are fighting a losing battle if it is quite bad. As in not normal angles, not normal depth of socket, your activities.... to do with it all.

Resurfacing gets you back on the road again stops knee pain, feet pain, back pain. I can vouch for that.

Don't Panic it takes along time to come right but it will happen... If you have an experienced Resurfacing surgeon.
Cheers K

2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

a sensation

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 12:16:36 AM »
I had failed scopes, I am just over a month post-op on resurfacing with Dr. Pritchett.  My recovery has been slow or normal.  I had some serious adductor issues as which might be slowing me down.

He did not mention any issues due to the bone shaving of the FAI.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Shotohips

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
Thanks for the messages. I sent both of you a PM.

A.S. - hope you have a speedy recovery. I currently have a bad case of psoas tendinitis and bursitis partly because my adductors aren't firing properly. I have been working on this for a while and I definitely want to have this under control incase I am a candidate for the surgery.

I am living Chamonix, FRand it is dumping snow! It's so hard!!

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

Ljpviper

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
Shotohips, I don't think he touched the acetabular area, I could be wrong. What a an ordeal two surgeries for nothing just like me.

good luck,

Larry

vonhouser

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »
I can totally relate. I had an FAI scope, and two scopes for labral tears. After the first on the labral tear felt better, but my SI joint got really bad. After the second one, I was never able to walk normally again. For three years I limped around in horrible pain, couldn't stand for more than a few minutes, couldn't walk more than a couple of blocks.

Finally I had the resurfacing with Dr. de Smet in December and I'm past that! I feel great, and am getting ready to start seriously riding, and rowing next month.

One of the things I never understood was why it got so much worse after the second surgery. de Smet said that when you have dysplasia (I was born with it) and you do a scope, it often makes the dysplasia worse. It made total sense to me. If you read the literature, scopes for impingement and labral tears work about 50% of the time, and when they fail, it's usually because arthritis is present.

Hopefully this helps. I don't know if resurfacing is what you need, but the surgeons will. Another guy who had surgery the same day I did had FIVE previous scopes, because he was in his 30s and no one wanted to do a hip replacement. He's doing great as well.
49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

Shotohips

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 04:49:52 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing well! It is very encouraging to hear this.

What do they do with the anchors that were installed for the labrum repair?

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

Ljpviper

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
Shotohips, one thing I recommend is be really slow on your HR recovery. I noticed the psoas on former scope patients is especially finicky. I just got a psoas injection Monday, and know another recent HR patient that also has some PSOAS issues.

Maybe its all the surgeries, who knows just go slow, trust me does not take much to aggravate even with a perfect resurfaced hip.

Good luck,

Larry

Shotohips

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 02:09:03 AM »
Thanks, Larry. My psoas and bursa are already completely inflamed on my left side. I just got a cortisone injection in the psoas bursa and it has helped 40%, but the tendon is still inflamed. Basically, rest is the only thing that makes it feel better me.

This is one of my concerns, I do not want to go into surgery with tendinitis already present. I am a long way out before I get operated, so hopefully this will be put to rest prior the surgery.
Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat