+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Gross-Outpatient Question  (Read 2283 times)

Dayton96

Dr. Gross-Outpatient Question
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:54:40 PM »
I had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross in March 2011.  I was in the hospital for two nights and then stayed at a hotel for another night, before driving back to Ohio.  I had a very good experience with the hospital and the staff. 

I'm getting ready to have by right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross and I understand most of his patients (including out-of-state patients) no longer spend the night in the hospital.  This kind of throws me, because I remember being very groggy the first 24 hours after my surgery in 2011.  I was also medicated and without pain.  The second 24 hours I was finally able to get up go to the bathroom by myself but was still pretty weak.

I'm hoping there are a few people out there who have recently gone through a resurface with Dr. Gross and can fill me in on what to expect the few hours before, and the 48 hours after, the surgery.  Also, does anyone know why he no longer has out-of-state patients stay in the hospital? 

Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Ljpviper

Re: Dr. Gross-Outpatient Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »
I had mine done last April by Dr.Gross. I stayed in the hospital one night. I believe only certain insurances qualify for outpatient procedures.

He likes to have patients out of the hospital as soon as possible to avoid risk of infection.

Good luck,

Larry

Dayton96

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Were you an out-of-state patient or a local patient?  If out-of-state, how long did you stay at the hotel before heading home?

einreb

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »
I know he's had success with the outpatient 'protocol', but I really appreciated taking it easy for a day in the hospital after my surgery.

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Ljpviper

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
Yeah I agree that would be rough to leave the hospital the same day. I left the next day and stayed an extra two days in SC before driving back to Miami. I was completely drained the first 4 days.

Thanks,

Larry

Dayton96

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
I'm curious what else has changed since my first HR.  Is it the same hospital?  Has the pain med protocol changed? 

jmorriss

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 09:37:56 PM »
Hello, I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross in August, 2016 as an outpatient.  My understanding is that this option is only available for those who have Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance.  I left the hospital the same day and checked into a nearby hotel.  That night a nurse came to visit me and then the following morning Dr. Gross stopped by.  The next day, I flew home.  For the outpatient option, you will need someone to accompany you and stay in the hotel with you.

Contrast that with the left hip resurfacing I had in January of 2008 by a different surgeon.  I spent two nights in the hospital and then went home.

I liked the outpatient option better.
Jay
Left Hip Resurfacing 1/2008, Dr. Matthew Squire
Right Hip Resurfacing 8/2016 Dr. Thomas Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat