+-

Author Topic: Metal-on-Metal Devices and Neutropenia  (Read 2005 times)

Paprika

Metal-on-Metal Devices and Neutropenia
« on: March 16, 2017, 04:32:56 PM »
Howdy again!  I am a 61 y.o. woman with "bone on bone" osteoarthritis of my left hip and a chronically low white blood cell count.  My recent research indicates that metal-on-metal resurfacing (like with BHR and Biomet devices) poses additional risks for folks with autoimmune disorders like me.  So, I am considering meeting with Dr. Pritchett to discuss the suitability of the Synovo ceramic coated device.  A number of you have posted about your positive experiences with Dr. Pritchett.  Anything additional I should know about him or the device? Thanks

catfriend

Re: Metal-on-Metal Devices and Neutropenia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 02:40:53 PM »
The device Dr. P uses has its own website: http://www.synovopreserve.com/
I'm sure you've seen his website: http://seattlejointsurgeon.com/

I don't know what I can tell you that I haven't already said before. I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. P on January 19, 2016. At this point - and for quite some time - my new hip feels completely natural, like my own hip that never had arthritis. It's very difficult to explain when you're in the midst of bone on bone pain (I know). Hence, completely satisfied customer here. I intend for him to resurface my left hip when the times comes. My dealings with him have always been professional. I have seen some people comment that he wasn't very conversant. That wasn't my experience, and I wasn't hiring him as a conversationalist, anyway.

I think I mentioned this before, but my complete story is on this site and at hipresurfacingwoman.com. PM me if you have any additional questions.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:41:36 PM by catfriend »

Pappy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »
I am a 61 year old male. I live in Minnesota.7/01/10 Dr. David Palmer resurfaced my right hip with BHR, instead of good bone fixation Palmer cemented the cup. 2/16 the cup slipped out of place, this was amazingly painful. Palmer and two other surgeons said only femur amputation to a total hip was available. Dr. Pritchett said he could revise to a synovo highly cross linked poly cup and save my femur. 7/19/16 he performed the revision. 1/24/17 Dr. Pritchett resurfaced my left hip, BHR used. I traveled to Seattle both times, Dr. Pritchett and his staff were professional, all I ask for from anyone. I now look forward to skiing with my grandchildren, hunting,and  dog training. Dr. Pritchett gave me a pain free active life.

Robert224466

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:49:46 PM »
I'll also chime in with a very positive experience with Dr. Pritchett. I'm a 52 yo male. He resurfaced my right hip also with the Synovo preserve device in July, 2016. At this point, I'm 98% of normal and no pain and no restrictions. I don't think about it anymore. Dr P isn't exactly chatty but he answered all my questions and was very professional. No complaints at all and if my other hip goes out, I'm heading back to Seattle to have him do it.

Best,
Robert

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 12:32:42 PM »
 8) Sounds all good guys.
 Just remember surgery is always a risk. Even the best at times get it wrong. But saying that, the percentage is probably smaller.
Having an experienced resurfacing surgeon do the work is always the best bet from what is experienced on this web site.
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Paprika

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »
Thank you for the very helpful responses.  This is an invaluable forum because folks like you take the time to provide information about your personal experiences. 

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats