+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Weakness & stiffness 9 months post op  (Read 2546 times)

LMS

Weakness & stiffness 9 months post op
« on: March 19, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
I'm 9 months post THR (left) & though the pain is gone & am back to normal activities (yay!), I'm finding that I am still stiff in the hips & SI area and as well, weak when it comes to bring the leg over.  For example: bringing leg over the saddle/horse, or hoisting myself up on anything over 1' high.  I haven't tried this on my bike (husband wants me to go cycling with him).  I have to crawl up on my knees up on a trunk & use my horse's rump to counter balance, there is no strength at all in the hip for that motion.

Is this something that in time it will all come back eventually?  Any exercise recommendations?  How much can I push the hip?  I'm afraid to compromise it or, dislocate it.  Before this all started going downhill, I had a very good physio & ballet warm up I used to do, which kept me limbered which helped.  Actually the doctors that would evaluate me said that these were helping because most people in my situation tended to be very stiff.  Now I'm lucky I can touch my knees. 

Thank you  :)

LMS

Re: Weakness & stiffness 9 months post op
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »
Bump.  :)

blinky

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:16:09 PM »
I am going to say time will help.

I was able to sit cross-legged at nine months without doing any stretching. I couldn't do it at six months, then all of a sudden I could. Could I have hiked up my leg to get on a horse or a bike? IDK. I can do it now---and I hadn't really tried to do that until today fwiw---at about seventeen months.

For strengthening, are you doing the usual bridges and clams? How are they going? Are you ready for the ab/adductor machine?

lizard

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
I am only about 10 weeks out but have noticed similar things, like my external rotators are super weak!  Dr. Gross did my resurfacing, and I am still following his exercises.  But there was nothing that I felt really addressed the external rotators.  So I asked for a PT request.  It has definitely helped.  And I'm doing yoga too bcs my flexibility has not recovered (I know it hasn't been long since my surgery, but I feel like it was forever ago!). So I don't know that I'm religious about deep squats, etc.  I can tell when I've pushed it bcs it hurts some, and I think it's muscle/soft tissue but it's hard to tell bcs it can be sharp, and I get scared sometimes, but I do really feel like my strength is improving and my flexibility, so I guess I'm willing to put up with a bit of pain now and then.  I AM religious about no impact, so I guess that makes me feel like I'm being a good girl.  In summary, I'm guessing if you keep at your "normal" activities, your body will eventually compensate, but if you want to improve more quickly, a PT consult (who has worked with THR patients!!) would help.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat