+-

Author Topic: Femoral Fracture 12 weeks post op  (Read 2182 times)

Alan B

Femoral Fracture 12 weeks post op
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:16:57 PM »
I had a second BHR in December of 2016.  The first was performed in 2011 and has been good in all respects for me. I returned to the same surgeon for this second BHR. I learned today through the results of an MRI that I have a femoral fracture in my hip from this second operation in December.  I was dealing with some pain when bearing weight on this leg. But there was no immediate or memorable painful experience.  It was not diagnosed through an x-ray last week which leads me to believe it is located within the cross section of the femoral component.  The Doctor after seeing the images is taking a position of keeping weight off it for 6 weeks.  Has anyone experienced anything similar and can share experiences.  I am 51 and really did not do anything that would have been traumatic to the joint.  Any sharing that could help would be appreciated.  Has anyone had success with this course of treatment.

Best, Alan

Mike D

Re: Femoral Fracture 12 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:49:53 PM »
Alan,
There's a very similar case on here from around the time i had my THR in 2012.
A guy called Jason who i think was Mr Mcminn's patient, crushed his femoral head.
He got away with it after resting up if I remember correct.
Maybe do a member search for him and get the full story?
All the best with your recovery, cheers Mike
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:26:08 PM »
I am sorry to hear you have problems.  I think I have read of a couple cases where someone had a femur fracture and stayed off it for a period of time and it healed.  I wish I could remember who and when, but I can't.  If your surgeon thinks it will heal, it is certainly worth trying to keep the weight off and give it time to heal.  Good Luck.  Let us know how you are doing?  Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

moe

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 11:54:01 PM »
Hi Alan, sorry to hear about your fracture. I had a serious bike crash 3 years ago, had to be rescued out of the woods. I had a fracture in the head of the femur, very painful, 10+, did I mention how painful it was? It showed up in x-rays and MRI. Spent a few days in hospital and doc advised non weight bearing 6 weeks, went from a walker to crutches to a cane. It healed nicely and I am back to 100%, I was lucky to save the BHR. Your situation is different in that you had no trauma, perhaps it did not heal completely and is more like a stress fracture.

I would do as your surgeon says and hope for the best at this point  Toe touch only on that leg.

Good luck and keep us posted, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Alan B

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I remain cautiously optimistic, and also feel letting heal is best approach for now. I am one week on crutches and the pain/healing is very slow to improve which is probably not a surprise.  It is certainly not getting worse.  I will keep everyone posted as things unfold. 

Best,

Alan

Alan B

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 02:12:43 AM »
I wanted to report back on my situation.  I had a stress fracture that extended across the femural neck. It did not extend completely across.  I have been on crutches for almost six weeks and it is slowly but surely improving and seems it will heal with time. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
Alan  Great to hear your fracture is healing.  I am happy you listened to your surgeon and stayed on crutches.  I wish you the very best and TAKE IT EASY.  Hopefully, you are well on your way to healing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

moe

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 05:21:48 PM »
Alan, good to hear that you are healing. These early weeks and months are really important to go easy. The bone will heal if given the chance.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

petemeads

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »
Today I managed to avoid the chance of a femoral fracture during recovery, it happened during the surgery - I was given a Zimmer ceramic THR instead. Bilateral at last,  but not as expected!
Age 68, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK

blinky

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »
Well, drats!

Heal up quickly and tell us how the two hips compare. I hope they both feel great.

catfriend

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
petemeads -

Bummer! You'll have to let us know what happened.

petemeads

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »
Hi blinky/catfriend  - I'm back home now and starting active recovery, taking 25 mins to  walk 1km, and things are looking OK.
Same surgeon as last time, happy to attempt BHR again, but different anaesthetist who took 2 goes to fit cannula to wrist and 2 goes to get spinal block  inserted which had me fainting and (nearly) requesting a general. Op went  well up to cementing the femoral cap in place then the ball fell off with the hammering. Plan B put into effect and a swish ceramic/crosslinked poly/titanium alloy THR was fitted. Surgeon apologetic but I think he has probably done me a great favour as a strong THR is better than a BHR  that failed out in the wilds somewhere. Activities can proceed as before, including running and climbing, and longevity should  not  be an issue at my age. Knowing it will take full weight already does make me more confident about this next phase which seems to be slightly advanced compared to last time. Will start a new thread, and will also join hiprunner (the THR community) now I am eligible!
Thanks for your good wishes, Pete
Age 68, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK

Mission Statement
Surface Hippy presents information about hip resurfacing. It does not provide medical advice.
It is designed to support, not to replace, the relationship between patient and clinician.
Advertising - Revenue from this site is derived from commercial advertising and individual donations. Any advertisement is distinguished by the word "advertisement"
Privacy - Surface Hippy does not share email addresses or personal information with any group or organization.
Content - Surface Hippy is not controlled or influenced by any medical companies, doctors or hospitals.
All content is controlled by Patricia Walter - Joint Health Sites LLC 2005 - 2018 Web design by Patricia Walter.

Hip TalkModeration

Authority

The Hip Talk Discussion Group or forum is moderated on a Daily basis by Patricia Walter.

The moderator and forum members are not regarded as health professionals.

Complementarity

The information provided on this forum is designed to support, not replace, the direct relationship between patients and health professionals.

Privacy

We remind you that this forum is public and any message can be read, used, reproduced and cited by all.
You do have the option to delete your messages. However, under exceptional circumstances, you can contact the moderator to do so. Thus, please take care regarding the information that you post.

The moderator and members should conduct themselves at all times with respect and honesty.

By using our forums, you agree to post information that is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and is of your personal experience. If the information you post is not personal experience, we request you to provide sources (references, links, etc..) whenever it is relevant and possible.

You are not allowed to post advertisements, whether in the form of text links or banners, for example.

Please keep your comments positive and polite. If you have a disagreement with another forum member, moderator or the site owner; please use the the private message feature of this forum or email the member. We try to avoid emotional conflicts on the discussion group and we will do so by removing posts and banning those that cause problems.

The moderator reserves the right to delete any messages deemed inappropriate without notifying the author. In cases of abuse, the moderator reserve the right to ban a member of the forum. In both instances, an explanation will be provided if user requests.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Advertisements