+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Metal Iron Levels.  (Read 3650 times)

karlos.bell

Metal Iron Levels.
« on: April 19, 2017, 02:38:19 AM »
 8) :) Hi surface hippies.
Got my iron levels back.. after 2 years.
Cobalt = 0.191ppm Chromium = 0.147 ppm
191 nano ppm or 147 nano ppm.

Perfect result normal is 4 ppm that would be approx 20 times that to be normal.

Pleased and hope they last the rest of my life.

I tend to think this is going to be the least thing in life to worry about

Thanks Dr De Smet.

Thanks Pat and all others.

Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

livendive

Re: Metal Iron Levels.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »
Nice to hear.  I haven't had mine checked yet, but am thinking about it.  Both of my hips are 2 years old now (29 months right, 27 months left) and I'm getting ready to add more metal to my body.  I'm expecting to get a shoulder within the next 6 months (ream & run, so just the ball side...the glenoid gets reamed to produce a metal-on-bone joint), and two artificial cervical discs probably next year. I have pretty pronounced skin sensitivity to metals. Even though I'm convinced by the research showing that the body treats implants differently than dermal exposure, I'm concerned that there might be some tipping point concentration at which the immune system takes note of internal metals and reacts accordingly.  It would suck to get everything wrong with me fixed only to have my body suddenly start rejecting all 5 new parts at the same time.
RBHR 5 January 2015
LBHR 2 March 2015

karlos.bell

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 02:59:16 AM »
 8) cool liven dive. Yes you are right I would assume eating metal would be different than unexposed body parts to oxidize. Best that can be done at present. I have the spinal Kinetics disc's from a motorcycle accident years ago they have been excellent as well. I walk very well now. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »

What are the risks from high metal levels if you are healthy and symptom free? I've never had mine tested and don't really care to unless I feel pain or start experiencing unexplained health issues.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

blinky

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
I would think there could be a toxic build up of heavy metals that would damage your organs. It would happen slowly over time. Think of lead poisoning. Is there a way to remove the metals, a chelation for chromium and cobalt the way there is for lead? I don't know.

I am no expert. I just did a quick google search.

Why not have the blood test? Could be you have no issue and so nothing to worry about. If your levels are high, you can investigate further and see what if anything you have to worry about.

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 08:59:46 AM »

I have done research and nothing suggests problems anything like that. But I did most of my research several years ago and I thought perhaps there are new studies out there that contradict previous studies.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

blinky

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »
I don't know of any.

From the old studies collection, wasn't there an issue with cobalt or chromium added to beer to give the beer a better head that made people sick? http://www.amjmed.com/article/0002-9343(72)90136-2/abstract

I found this, but it seems to express surprise that there was an issue.

chuckm

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »

Everything I learned about elevated metal ion levels from hip resurfacing is that everyone tolerates the ions differently. Some people are perfectly fine with elevated levels while some have symptoms below acceptable levels.

Recently I learned of a woman who had her hip resurfacing revised to a total hip replacement because her tests showed she had elevated metal ion counts.
But, she had NO symptoms.

I can't tell you if she was following medical advice with the revision or if she just decided herself to have the revision.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

karlos.bell

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »
 8) My research told me 2 years 5 years and 10 years. Then 15 years. Then 20 years.
That was the Dr said (De Smet)  you should do.
I would care if they are high due is it wear or is it I cannot get rid of the cobalt or Chromium.
High blood serum levels can be caused by bad fitted joints (metal  matter)which in turn can damage tissue around the joint. So one should keep an eye on it.  8 ppm is high and you will get tissue disruption apparently. Remember is that for 1 hip or 2?

The bad press about Metal on Metal is almost non existent in my case that is what I am pointing out.

Cheers K :)
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

gwittorf

Re: Metal Ion Levels.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
I have a seizure disorder and am trying to find any studies that address the effect of increased co and cr ions and the impact of that increase on someone with a seizure disorder.

So - do increased ions increase the likelihood of seizures?

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat