+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Year and a half update  (Read 3109 times)

blinky

Year and a half update
« on: May 08, 2017, 10:29:47 AM »
So many inspiring updates, I will add mine:

The short version is that everything is going well. I am running every other day up to 10K. My paces are getting faster. I swim four times a week and my strokes feel more natural and fluid, including the undulation of breaststroke and fly. I walk, lift, bend, jump, leap, do all the things a person does in every day life without a thought about my hips. There are still niggles and weaknesses and I do warn security of my metal hips when I go through a metal detector.

The long version is that my running times have dropped from 12 mm to 10:20 mm. I have run two days in a row, but don't think it is a good idea to do this consistently, at least not yet. I am about ready to see if I can increase my distance to ten miles over the course of the summer. My right knee is a weak point. It swells on the outside when I overdo things whether through too much running or too much lateral motion. It does better when I ice and when I take the time to lift weights to strengthen my quads, glutes, ab and adductors. I haven't really worked on getting faster, it has just happened. As my glutes get stronger, I think I will continue to improve.

Swimming and spinning continue to be fine. As mentioned, I am more supple so I can undulate better in some strokes.

I have done some Zumba/dance classes and have taken some Boot Camp/CrossFit type classes with people half my age. Those classes have been eye opening because 1) I can do them, can keep up with the young folks and 2) I find some weaknesses. My first time in the fitness class, I struggled to do those mountain climbing exercises you do that work on lower abs. I couldn't find my lower abs! (Rest assured I found them.) I was pleased at my ability to jump on one leg and to hop laterally, however.

I am nervous about riding my road bike. I ride the cruiser around town, but am afraid of falling on the other bike, which puts me in a more aggressive, aero position. To see if I can overcome this fear or if I need a new bike (!), I put my road bike on the trainer and am riding it in front of the TV. We will see.

I will confess that I haven't been as focused on running/swimming etc. My kids have left home and my husband and I have the chance to travel. With new hips, there have been no limits on what we can do. We walk for miles in NYC, take trains to the airport because I can take the stairs and carry my luggage now. (The cheapskate in me loves to pay $12 for the train vs $70 for a cab/Uber) I have been hiking and snorkeling and have jumped off high points (high enough to think "why and I doing this?") and hit the ocean below.

I have had a variety of experiences with airport security, including one screener who insisted I just take my hips out! (Her English wasn't very good. She kept asking if they were sharp, too.)

I do think I am still improving and look forward to updating you all in another six months. For example, we are back in NYC. A month ago after walking as much as we were walking (30k steps, according to H's device), I was happy to put my legs up. My right knee needed a rest due to those weak rotators. Now it isn't an issue.

Best of luck to you all.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Year and a half update
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 10:54:48 AM »
Blinky  Great to hear how well you are doing.  Thank You for posting an update for other perspective and patients to read.  It is so encouraging to read how well most people do.

Have fun.  Good Luck.  Hope to hear from you again when you get an update.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Ljpviper

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:51:17 PM »
That's awesome Blinky, sounds like your doing really well. Glad to hear.

Larry

Paprika

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 05:29:40 PM »
Thank you for your inspiring update!  I am a runner who had my left hip resurfaced by Dr Pritchett three weeks ago. I would love to hear about your progress toward running during the first year after your surgery.  Is that posted somewhere? If not, can you give me a brief synopsis?

blinky

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »
Paprika, more than you ever wanted to know here: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php/topic,5724.0.html.

Basically, I was told to wait six months before running so I waited. I let my soft tissue heal and my bone grow into my prosthetics. (There was a lot of walking and swimming in the meantime.)  Then I started to follow a resurfacing to 5K plan posted here by Arroyo. (I bet you can search for it on this site.) It built to the 5k distance over about three months. I did have to step back from time to time when my body couldn't keep up with the plan---my right side external rotators sometimes needed more time.

I ran a 10K a little more than a year post op, maybe 13 months out. I was ecstatic. That was my reach goal and I made it! Since then I have been traveling quite a bit and consolidating my gains before surging forward again.

Best of luck. Be patient and listen to your body. Be ready to stop and work on weaknesses before moving forwards.

Joe_CA

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »
That's great news Blinky. It's almost unbelievable that a reasonable expectation for this surgery is to make a complete 100% recovery (or as close to it as you can get), with little to no permanent weakness/soreness/reduction in ROM etc. But your account is proof that a great outcome can happen, in time. This is even more amazing since you underwent bilateral surgery only 18 months ago.

These types of stories are the best things to read on this website, and the goal of each of us here. I hope to be as fortunate.
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Paprika

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:46:27 PM »
Thanks for the info. I very much enjoyed reading your longer account.  Also, I was able to find the running plan under "Arrojo". Best wishes on continued success in your recovery.

catfriend

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »
blinky -

Glad everything is still going well for you! :D

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat