+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: A new beginning  (Read 4426 times)

petemeads

A new beginning
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »
My Left BHR has done me proud; over the last 30 months I have run 90 5k parkruns, a couple of 10k and managed half-marathon distance in training. But my right hip was always going to need attention, estimated to be about now! The turning point was last December where I ran well on the Saturday but barely limped back to the car on Sunday after a hilly ten-mile hike. Something felt different, and permanent. Ran on Xmas day to complete my 250th parkrun (and claim the tee-shirt) but terribly slow and awkward. Then had a brief remission in February and managed a handful of decent runs before the feeling of permanence became permanent... All this time my biking was unaffected and distances and speeds were increasing nicely as the weather improved, which seemed a bit strange but did compensate a bit for the limpy walking, limited to short distances.
Saw my surgeon on 12th April, agreed to give me another BHR, appointment made for 2nd May, same hospital etc.
Not too many worries about the procedure, not looking forward to the first few days of recovery though..
On the day, problems getting the spinal block inserted correctly and me getting very faint but ok eventually, into theatre and all going well up to cementing femoral cap - the head broke as the cap was being tapped into place (nobody said anything at the time but I knew the cement was mixed and its setting time expired, also I was offered an extra sedative and oxygen). More sounds of sawing and broaching etc and after nearly two hours into the recovery room to be shown my femoral head with its shiny new cap in my surgeon's hand. He was apologetic but said that the Zimmer ceramic/poly/titanium THR he had fitted would allow me to continue all my activities as well as my BHR has. Must admit being a bit depressed about the prospect but did the research, found hiprunnner.com and got some reassurance and finally decided a quality THR might actually be better for an old man with weak bones - positive mental attitude!
Anyway, recovery​ is going well (but I had remembered the pain with rose-tinted glasses!) and at Day 9 I am slightly ahead of schedule, mainly because I have no restriction on weight-bearing this time around. Hoping to be jogging again in a couple of months but no rush, have static bike to keep fit on and the sun is shining!
Will update as milestones are reached.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:06:51 AM by petemeads »
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: A new beginning
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »
Pete   I am glad to hear everything is going well.  Sad to hear you did not get a hip resurfacing, but many here that had THRs will tell you they are back to being active and out of pain.  That is what is important - keep going, do what you want without any complications.

Take it easy.  As you know it is 2 steps forward and one back.  Never a straight line, but soon you will forget about it all and get on with an active life.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

MattJersey

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
Loving the positive mindset Pete. I am off to research that myself now. Good luck with recovery, steady pace wins the race and all that, as you know from experience.

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 04:09:36 PM »
This may sound kind of creepy but I think I would have asked for my broken femur head and its new cap for a souvenir.

petemeads

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 12:29:08 AM »
He said he had given one away before (that the patient had broken off at 6 weks) but the smell after a couple of days is horrible! I must admit to being disappointed though, creepy or not...
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

blinky

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »
The smell? That's interesting. I wonder if it could be cleaned somehow...

It would have made a nice cane handle or paper weight. Door knocker?

catfriend

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »
Could always seal it in a jar of formaldehyde or whatever it is they use to preserve specimens.

shoraztri

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 03:43:54 AM »
Hi petemeads,

Sorry to hear of your latest "escapade". Im sure with your positive 101% attitude you will adapt to your new THR and be back on the "horse" a bit further down the track.
I certainly have enjoyed our messages and support for each other, plus the encouragements and goals dreams that we both aspire too.
Keep up your new found enthusiasm and zest to improve. It will happen !!! ;D
Cheers,
 Kiwi Boyo Down Under.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 03:44:40 AM by shoraztri »
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.
Fem Head 50.  Cup Size 56.  D.O.B. 03/1952.

petemeads

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 05:38:29 AM »
Hi Shorty, great to hear from you - hope your season has gone well!
With any luck this is just a temporary setback - recovery seems to be going well, maybe better than first time, and am already walking 5k (current pb 63:00) and static biking 20k (40 mins) and able to walk without crutches (but with better form if I use a single crutch). Surgeon has been very positive about continuing as before so hopeful of a decent autumn and a brilliant 2018!

Cheers,

Pete

shoraztri

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
Hi pete,

Thanks for the reply and news. Our season is over,{March} so its a "downtime/rest " period now. Will crank up the body in about 6 weeks to prepare for World Champs in Rotterdam. ;D 
Am having a few serious problems with the knee now , bugger, so running has dramatically dropped off. The Hip is brilliant though, so will load up on the Swim and Bike.
All the best for a top re-hab , and returning to some better form than now. Am sure that you will be back firing on all cyclinders in time.
Cheers,
Shorty  :)
LHBHR. 7 JULY 2014. DR. HUGH BLACKLEY. SOUTHERN CROSS HOSPITAL, NORTH SHORE, NZ.

petemeads

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »
Just had my 6 - week check up with my surgeon. He is very pleased to see me walking well, my range of movement and general good recovery. I was pleased to find the new THR is fully ceramic, not ceramic/polythene as I had assumed from the Zimmer website. He smiled when I said I was going to the climbing wall tonight now driving restrictions are lifted, and was still smiling when I told him I had run 5k (very slowly, 31:43) last Saturday. I can bike outdoors now but have to be careful - intend to remove clips and fix normal pedals for a while to reduce the risk of a stupid fall...

Update: decided just to slacken pedal clips to minimum as being safer. We shall see!

Ran another 5k 17th June, wished I hadn't  - slightly quicker but much less pleasant due to general unfitness and a niggle from the new hip, and it was very hot (for England). MrsPete had a poor run as well so we finished together (ladies first, of course)

Onwards and upwards, but with a bit more care...

Pete
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:06:29 PM by petemeads »

shoraztri

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 12:43:15 AM »
Hi Pete,
Nice to see your little up date, and that you are still active and "pushing the barrow out" so to speak.
Patience is the answer, and although we all are chaffing at the bit to churn out a few kms, this patience soon rewards us well after on.

All the best in the re-hab.

Will update my progress soon as tomorrow IS THE BIG 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!. All good and fantastic presently with the hip, but cannot say that for the rest of the body- bugger.

Cheers,
 Kiwi boyo.  :D :)

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:31:12 AM »
Hey Pete,

I remember when we met you said the other hip would need doing and that seems to have come round so quick. Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned but this is always a risk and glad it all seems to have worked out judging by the speedy recovery!

Good luck with the rest of the recovery and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Alan.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal