+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Progress updates w/ Dr Barrack - 2017  (Read 1995 times)

Vogelweid

Progress updates w/ Dr Barrack - 2017
« on: May 18, 2017, 04:55:50 PM »
Background:
General groin discomfort in 8/2015.  Ran 11th full marathon 10/2015, 3:06 PR.  Age 45 at the time.  Nov 2015 finally went to have an MRI which revealed a torn labrum resulting from a bone spur and mileage (Avg 1800 miles per year, 2 marathons per year, ).  Hip arthroscopy in May 2016 revealed material arthritis.  Returned to jogging / running 3 months post op.   I wanted to continue rehabilitation to determine how severe the arthritis would impact my running.  I was able to return to my conversational pace with runs up to 10 miles.  However, I never was able to push my legs back into mile repeats (5:45 - 6:30 min mile pace).  I also had a lingering high hamstring discomfort on the opposite leg which I know is somehow related to the injured leg (ex: poorly firing glut med).  I had PRP and stem cell injections on both legs to no avail.  The whole injury forced a migration into swimming and some moderate biking (triathlons possibly?).  Sadly, I now enjoy swimming (not natural) with a Tri group (1:40 per 100 for 400, 2:05 per 100 for 2100).

May 2017
Hip re-surfaced, released next day.  Used walker for 7 days and switched to a cane.   By day 10, I was walking with a cane up to a mile at a time, 2-3 times per day.  By day 14, I started to alternate walking with and without cane (6 steps without cane, 2 steps with cane).  Followed the PT protocol while also using bands for upper body and core strength (basically any exercise without causing adverse hip discomfort).  By day 15, I started to drive to the gym (short distance) to to slowly transition back into workouts - basically PT drills at the gym supplemented with core/upper body machines.  Groin and incision sides still pretty stiff / sore.  Returning to work day 21.  More updates to come.   

Nov 2017
Nearly 7 months post op.  Started running 3 days per week at month 6.  I tried running at months 3, 4 and 5 yet the post run discomfort was too much (pain as your guide!).  As a result, I kept testing it each month until my post run hip discomfort was negligible.  Started at 1/4mile repeats jogging, 1/10 mile walk (1/2 forward, 1/2 backwards).  Graduated up to 1 mile repeats w/ 1/4 mile walks.  My progression from 1/4mile to 1mile repeats was based on hip stability improvement (foot strike on the ground).   I still have some / infrequent high groin and front hip discomfort during the runs yet they primarily subside post run.  I limited my top speed based on foot strike stability (6:45 - 7min per mile) and distance to 5-6 miles per outing.  I've increased miles and pace every 2 weeks.  I'm not sure where it will take me yet I continue to focus on injury prevention, muscle assessment and recovery.  I had 2 months of chiropractor / Active Release and Graston at 2x per week.  Now transitioning to 1 per week.   It made a huge difference in scar tissue removal and properly firing muscles.  My 6 month checkup revealed no issues mechanically.  I feel 65-70% recovered as compared to pre-op speed and strength.  I've been swimming 3per week, 2000yards per swim, strength / stretch train 4 per week and bike / elliptical 3 per week since month 2 post op.  The 6 month mark coupled with deep muscle repair via chiropractor was a step change improvement.  I caught myself peaking at race results for events in 2018.  Fingers crossed!!!

Dec 2018
It's been 18 months post op.  I continue to have groin soreness (psoas tendon).  It's the same level of psoas soreness since month 6.  I've had a psoas injection at month 12 and a steroid by mouth at month 18 both of which only helped for a couple weeks.  Chromium level within range (1.7) yet the cobalt registered 1.5 which Barrack considered reasonable considering I have a metal on metal BHR.  I've tried the ibuprofen to no avail.  I continue to apply physical therapy exercises including stretching and foam rolling daily.  Discomfort ranges from 3-5 on a 10 point scale (10 the worst).  Any attempts to run will inflame the tendon for several days.  I strength train 4 days per week (45 - 60 min per session, swim 2-3 per week (45 - 60 min per session) and elliptical/bike 3-4 per week (60-75 min per session).  We also confirmed favorable acetabular cup adhesion to the bone.   Barrack has given up and routed me to general hip orthopedist.  This is very frustrating.  Any other tips or guidance from others highly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 11:00:34 AM by Vogelweid »

blinky

Re: Progress updates w/ Dr Barrack - 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »
Welcome to the other side! Best of luck to you.

My only advice? Listen to your body and give it a chance to heal. You might have to take a step back in order to surge forwards.

I look forward to reading about you running fast again.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Progress updates w/ Dr Barrack - 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
 Vogelweid

Thanks for your update.  I hope everything continues to improve and you will be running a marathon sometime in the future.

Give us an update when you get time.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat