+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Derek's Story  (Read 4733 times)

Shiggy

Derek's Story
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »
Hi All, 

I am 4 days LBHR/Pritchett post-op and doing well.  I have and am continuing to document my story here.  Other's stories helped me so much pre-surgery, I am hoping to pay it forward.  Feel free to contact me directly if you have anything you want to discuss about HR, surgery, travel for surgery, etc.

https://shiggyblog.wordpress.com/

Thanks
Derek Murashige
LBHR, Dr Pritchett, 6/20/2017

dmurashi@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:50:43 PM by Shiggy »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Derek's Story
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
Derek

Thanks for posting your blog and story.  I know many others will want to read it.

I wish  you the very best for a quick and easy recovery.  Take it easy for awhile.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
Derek -

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your story. I think that many of us went through a process similar to yours before deciding to have our resurfacing procedures. It's good to know that after all of your research, you reached the same conclusion that we have reached over the years, especially considering that there have been additional studies and further information has developed since we did our research.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Joe_CA

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »
Nice story Derek.

You really performed your due diligence on this, and thought of questions and concerns I didn't even think of prior to my surgery. It appears your hips were manageable (though painful) for many years, and within a few short months gave out pretty quickly. That's pretty much what happened to me last year.

And your blog is really well done. I will definitely want to continue to read your accounts of your recovery. Thanks for taking to time to develop your website. Since you have bilateral arthritis, I guess you plan on getting your right leg done soon? Is this something you've already discussed with Dr. Pritchett?

Good luck on your recovery.

Joe
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Shiggy

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 04:43:40 PM »
Joe,

After Dr Pritchett confirmed my dx of severe bilateral OA and reviewed THR and HR, he simply asked me which hip felt worse.  I broached the topic of having bilateral/concurrent HR surgery and he said he doesn't do those anymore. He mentions this in one of his online interviews somewhere saying that the risks outweigh the benefits.  Even if he did concurrents still, I would probably have opted to do one at a time anyway. I can't imagine the recovery of having both done at the same time. Kudos to those that have gone through that.  I then asked when he thought my right hip should be done. He told me, "your body will tell you when you're ready".   As I stated in my blog update today (June 26th) under Recovery,  my right hip is actually hurting more than my left hip due to it taking on the lion's share of work. With that, I am thinking of getting the right hip done before the end of the year.

Thanks,
Derek

Shiggy

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »
I had my followup appointment today with Dr Pritchett.  I've detailed it under Recovery, June 29th in my blog site (link below).  Includes x-ray image of my LBHR and incision immediately after the dressing was removed.

https://shiggyblog.wordpress.com/8-recovery/

Derek Murashige

blinky

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:43:07 PM »
This is great!

Please do get your wife to chime in. She may have some good hints for our caregivers.

Shiggy

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »
Hi Blinky,

My wife plans on posting her perspective this weekend.  :-[

Derek

Shiggy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
My wife and caretaker has uploaded her initial posts under A Caretaker's Perspective.  Here's the link:

https://shiggyblog.wordpress.com/9-a-caretakers-perspective/

Derek Murashige
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 6/20/2017

Shiggy

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »
More updates from my wife.  Deep insight into my behavior and hers leading up to the surgery and afterwards:

https://shiggyblog.wordpress.com/9-a-caretakers-perspective/

catfriend

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »
It's been interesting reading your story and comparing it to mine. Dr. Pritchett did my right hip last year, which I've detailed on this site. Even though it was only last year I have to go back and read my account to remember where I was in my recovery at this point out from surgery. You asked a lot more questions of Dr. P than I did, especially regarding the infection precautions and actual surgery. By the time of my consult with him I had done my research and was ready to go. Honestly, I was in such pain that if someone had offered to rip out my hip on the spot I'd have been grateful. Did you really only take Tylenol for post-surgery pain? That wouldn't have worked for me at all. I followed the advice given at the joint seminar of staying ahead of the pain by taking the oxcy. At this equivalent point out as you I was taking the occasional Tramadol as I had this one spot that would go ballistic every now and then. I'm also curious as to why you are still showering with Hibiclens. I used that stuff for the two required pre-surgery shower, but after it was back to my usual stuff. Since I'm in the same boat as needing surgery on my other hip in the not-too-distant future I asked about the retirement, too. His reply: "You never get tired of helping people get better." He enjoys what he does. He made it clear he has no plans of bailing anytime soon. If you're body is telling you to go a little slower, then go a little slower. It's the long term results that matter, and nobody else's recovery matters but yours. I believe your fever issue is addressed in Dr. P's FAQs: http://seattlejointsurgeon.com/patient-education/concerns-after-hip-resurfacing.php  Good luck with your continued recovery.

Shiggy

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »
Hi catfriend,

In March I was walking fine albeit with stiffness but not much pain.  In early April, things went down hill rapidly with my left hip to the point I couldn't climb stairs or lift my left leg into my vehicle without great pain. Then the business trip to Las Vegas. I don't know if I've ever been in that much pain so like you, I would have opted for surgery the next day if it were offered to me. 

Answers to your questions:

1) Pain management -  the narcotics make me throw up. Even the mild Tramadol preceded with the anti nausea med Zofran made me throw up in the hospital during OT. Luckily, the OT person was able to get me the blue puke bag in time. I felt so crappy on the narcotics I was determined not to take them. With that, I didn't have pain greater than 5 or 6 while on my feet and most of the time it was down around a 1 or 2 while resting and elevating the legs. 

2)  Hibiclens - In my follow up appointment 9 days post-op with Dr Pritchett, Susan removed my dressing and provided me with the do's and dont's until the incision was completely healed. She told me that if I had any Hibiclens left I could continue to use it to shower which I have been doing.  I think I am going to cease within the next day or two since the incision area is looking good.  I've been pretty stringent about disinfecting our home, especially the bathroom, that I don't think I need to use the Hibiclens anymore.

Question for you: Were you provided with a follow up appointment schedule? 6 months? 1 year? Of all the things I asked Susan and Dr Pritchett this is the one thing that I didn't ask.  I will send an email to Susan and ask her.  I will be very interested to see how the implants and my bone are looking down the road.

Thanks
Derek

catfriend

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »
I had my initial post-op at 10 days out, same as you. My next follow up was March 28, so about two months after the first follow up (surgery 1/19, first follow up 1/29). My bone and implant had fully fused. At that time I asked and was told I didn't need to come back for a year. However, I was experiencing quite a lot of pain with my other hip in the fall so I saw him then. Just prior to the one year mark I had an episode where my left hip (the other one that hasn't had surgery yet) collapsed on me so this spurred me to make an appointment. When I arrived they seemed a little surprised to see me since I had been in in the fall. I can tell you that when I saw Dr. P in the fall and we discussed my resurfaced hip that by that time it felt completely normal, like a natural hip that had never been diseased. I have the Synovo Preserve, not the BHR, so I have none of the clunking that others refer to. Since you have problems on your other side as well that may dictate your follow ups as well. If you haven't found my story on this site it's also at https://hipresurfacingwoman.com/ I haven't updated in a long time since I'm recovered (at least from the first one).

Shiggy

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
Catfriend,

I came across your story somewhere several weeks ago. I think it was on this site.  Reading your blog, however, provides much more detail about your story.  I'm amazed you did so many things, meetups, trips, etc. given the pain you were in. It made me recall the agony I was in during my business trip to Las Vegas. I'm also amazed that you endured recovery mostly alone. That had to be tough. Did you find employment? Sounds like you are in tech. I just left that sector having worked the last several years for Go Daddy. Sorry about the poor experience you had with your original doctor and the bogus dx of bursitis.  Waste of time, emotion and money.  Nonetheless, that's behind you and you are pain free now and doing well.  I may have missed it but have you scheduled surgery for your other hip?

Derek

catfriend

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
Sent PM.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »
What a great Blog and thoroughly helpful and informative account for anybody that has yet to have the procedure. With regards to my own research, I felt a little lazy after reading yours!

And I found the partners perspective section very interesting.

Good luck with the rest of you recovery and I will certainly keep reading.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear