+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ITP (Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura) from chromium cobalt levels  (Read 2561 times)

Gerald Spaniol

I have not posted in awhile.  I had resurfacing on the left hip in 2010 and right hip in 2011.  In 2012, I contracted ITP.  I often thought that the surgery caused it.  Recently my GP said he had a patient whose platelets where down to 20,000 and he had severely elevated levels of chromium/cobalt.  Has anyone anywhere developed ITP or a blood disorder with low platelets from high chromium/cobalt levels?  It is very important for me to find out.  Drugs are keeping me alive.  Thank you anyone. 

Jerry

woldaudio

Jerry,
I have not had my chromium levels checked but I think they are high. I have bilateral hips and bilateral shoulders. In Oct of 2016 I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. Can't say if there was a cause an effect.  My cancer is different than your disease but I can't help but wonder because I was very healthy and in great physical shape. Also, I am responding to treatment with only the minimal chemo. I am going to ask my oncologist to check the chromium levels and try to find out how many people who have had implants developed MM. However MM is a "blood" disease so the two are "related" but different symptoms and treatments.

I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
Jim Wold

Shiggy

Jerry,

Your post caught my eye because I had ITP about 6 years ago, well before my hip resurfacing. A course of steroids corrected the issue and I've been fine since. I've had some issues with auto-immune disorders over my adult life so I am hoping elevated cobalt/chromium levels aren't a trigger.  In all the research I've done I haven't encountered any articles about an association between elevated metal levels and low platelets.  I hope you recover quickly and the ITP goes into remission.

Jim,

There are a number of studies on the web showing there is no increase in cancer risk for MoM implants compared to non MoM implants. I hope this holds true for your situation as well as the rest of us with MoM implants. More than anything else I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Derek

LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 6/20/2017

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hi Jerry

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your hip resurfacing and ITP.  I don't have any advice for you since I am not medically trained and have not read anything about ITP.

I just wanted to say I hope you find a solution and your condition gets better soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gerald Spaniol

Hi Pat:

Thank you for replying!  I contracted ITP in 2012 and take a weekly shot of a drug called N-Plate as well as oral cyclosporine.  It took awhile, but I am stable now, but the drugs probably don't extend one's lifespan.  I can live as I am, but certainly would love to find out if there is a correlation.  Thank you for the best wishes.  God's Blessings to you as well.

Jerry

Gerald Spaniol

Jerry,

Your post caught my eye because I had ITP about 6 years ago, well before my hip resurfacing. A course of steroids corrected the issue and I've been fine since. I've had some issues with auto-immune disorders over my adult life so I am hoping elevated cobalt/chromium levels aren't a trigger.  In all the research I've done I haven't encountered any articles about an association between elevated metal levels and low platelets.  I hope you recover quickly and the ITP goes into remission.

Jim,

There are a number of studies on the web showing there is no increase in cancer risk for MoM implants compared to non MoM implants. I hope this holds true for your situation as well as the rest of us with MoM implants. More than anything else I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Derek

LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 6/20/2017

Jim:

Steroids, unfortunately, did not work, nor did Chemo, or a spenectomy, etc.  My current drug regimen is working well, however.  Remission would be a blessing.  Thanks!

Gerald Spaniol

Hi Jerry

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your hip resurfacing and ITP.  I don't have any advice for you since I am not medically trained and have not read anything about ITP.

I just wanted to say I hope you find a solution and your condition gets better soon.

Pat

Pat, my resurfacing is doing fine.  I am still skiing every year, so that is a good thing.  Thanks.

Jerry

Gerald Spaniol

Jerry,
I have not had my chromium levels checked but I think they are high. I have bilateral hips and bilateral shoulders. In Oct of 2016 I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. Can't say if there was a cause an effect.  My cancer is different than your disease but I can't help but wonder because I was very healthy and in great physical shape. Also, I am responding to treatment with only the minimal chemo. I am going to ask my oncologist to check the chromium levels and try to find out how many people who have had implants developed MM. However MM is a "blood" disease so the two are "related" but different symptoms and treatments.

I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
Jim Wold

Hi Jim:

I pray for you also that you respond positively to your treatment and that you recover soon.  God Bless!  I was also in great shape and had never been in a hospital until my surgery in 2010.  The sequence of events was strangely coincidental.  I am going to post on an ITP website also to see what ITP patients have to say.  I am now 64 and skiing great but dealing with ITP as well.  Take care!

Jerry Spaniol

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat