+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing on left now right Side.  (Read 2135 times)

Kittykat4

Hip resurfacing on left now right Side.
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »
I got my left hip resurfaced on June 5th 2017. Even though I read as much as I could before no one ever mentioned it would feel like a bull constrictor around my joint, that is the tightness you feel. And when you do an activity or just sitting that tightness comes back even at 6 weeks. At week1 post op I walked with one hiking pole about five blocks and then my husband got the car, not to shabby.

I knew I had to make the surgery leg strong as quick as possible because I'm getting my right side resurfaced Aug 7th. I would say at week 5 gave up my walking stick, with good walking habits. First way to walk right ,was the PT said take a step pause three seconds then take the next step pause three etc. this does help but I read someone on proper walking after surgery which you take a step and focus on heel to toe on each foot and follow through, I'm doing quite good with that.

I do laps around my house on a gravel drive and started with a set of two, the later in the day, 2 more and a final set of two, to start with two hiking poles and by the forth week no hiking poles.im now up to 5 laps per set and 3 sets a day, I don't always do it but try to.

I can really feel the right hip which needs to be done as the one that aches and is holding me back now. The surgery hip will take time and it will be nice to be able to go on walks and hikes again. I like to lift weights, snow shoe and I'm thinking cross country skiing on my drive around my house which gets snow covered in the winter.

my hips were just getting worse and worse. I went with hip resurfacing because it can last your lifetime vs total hip 20 yrs.The doctor that did my first and is doing my second has done over 5200 resurfacings and is very meticulous which I can appreciate.

I'm on my third week of PT so 3 more to go before surgery on the right hip.i would say I was ready by week 5 to do the right side. Not that I am perfect in all function  but I could walk unassisted, the surgery leg is just as strong as right going up stairs and strength for using the bathroom, that's what matters. I catch myself going into limpee mode which is a side to side gate and I stop myself and then focus on walking heel toe with each foot I don't let myself limp but I have to concentrate my effort to not do that.

Shiggy

Re: Hip resurfacing on left now right Side.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
Glad to hear you are recovering so well.  I had my left hip resurfaced June 20th.  Recovery has gone pretty good, also, so far.  Like you, my right side is aching more and more and will need to be relatively soon, also.

Who performed your surgery and what device was installed?

Derek Murashige
LBHR, Dr Pritchett, 6/20/2017

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:10:19 AM »
KittyKat4
Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.  We each feel post op reactions differently.  The tight constricting feeling is a little different than some.  No 2 people are the same.  The only thing I would suggest is to take it easy.  If it hurts - don't force it.  Everything usually straightens out, but takes time.  Even though you have your second surgery coming up don't push the current hip too hard.  Remember you don't need it perfect.  People that get bilateral at the same time manage, so I am sure you will be OK with a few weeks recovery on the first.

Who was your surgeon? 

Take it easy and let us know how you are doing when you can.  Good Luck on the next surgery.
Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Kittykat4

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Tomorrow is my big day for the right side. My left is strong and no limp. I could not have two legs limping.At first I had to remind myself not to limp now I don't even think about it.So right hip Aug 7th.i could have done it sooner around week after July 12th but opening was the 7th of Aug. then I will be bionic Kat

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 05:03:42 PM »
Good Luck Tomorrow.  I know you will do well.  Just take it easy - like you could do anything else!  LOL

You will have 2 good hips again, soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karlos.bell

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:00:49 AM »
 8) Cool your doing well after 2 years my hips are still improving. Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz