+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I'd like a new Poll question: How long until you felt close to 100%  (Read 4019 times)

Joe_CA

I know this isn't an easy one, since it appears many continue to improve even 18 months later. I'm approximately 7 months out and still improving, so I can't really answer this one yet. But at what point (in months or years) did you feel your hip(s) were as good as they were going to get, without soreness or lack of strength?

Thanks!
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Joe_CA

Re: I'd like a new Poll question: How long until you felt close to 100%
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:07 PM »
I understand you may need to answer this one months after you have recovered, and that this poll question depends upon a variety of factors, including your rehabilitation routines.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:28:22 PM by Joe_CA »
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

John C

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:25:57 AM »
I was still definitely making improvements out to 18 to 24 months. During that last period the improvements that I was still noticing had to do with less discomfort when skating on skis (which involves a lot of glute maximus, medius, and minimus in both external rotation and extension), and less issues with trochanteric bursitis which had flared up occasionally during the first 12 to 18 months. I would say that after about three years I ceased to be able to notice any improvement.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »
I think it would be difficult to make a poll for that. 

I would just ask that folks post when they felt close to 100%    Also what they were able to return to being active and pain free.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:04:26 PM »
I think I am still improving and haven't topped off yet at about 20 months out.

There have been a series of times when I have thought "wow, I am back to normal" but then have felt even better a little bit later. (Or done too much and suffered a set back!)The first time I felt like my old self was about eight weeks out in a charity swim event. Even not flip turning or pushing off the walls, I swam well and fairly skipped out of there. The next time I felt like I was fully back was about a year out. For a good three month period it seemed like I could do anything I wanted: run consecutive days, do burpees, dance, hop on one foot, etc. Eventually I overdid it and had to pull back.

I've said it before: I feel pretty darn normal now, but have a few very specific weaknesses I have left to work on. Progress is still being made on those. The "done too much" line keeps moving out further.

catfriend

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
I think it's too tricky to answer. 100% of what, exactly? Before the dysplasia/arthritis sent me on a downhill spiral? Or from just before surgery?

I would say that my resurfaced hip feels like a completely normal and natural joint that was never diseased. It is so completely pain free that it's become difficult to remember just how much pain I was in prior to surgery. I no longer feel any limitations from the joint or the surgery. However, the surgical side is still weaker. I can feel a definite strength gap between the two legs. There are certain positions that are difficult for me to move the surgical leg into, or that don't go to the degree that the other side does. These aren't everyday movements, just fine motor skills used once in a while. For example, to do the yoga pose Vrikshasana (google an image) with my surgical leg as the bent/half lotus leg would be problematic. I would not currently be able to get my leg into that exact position, and I would have been able to at one time. I don't do yoga, so not being able to do this isn't exactly something I'm stressing over, not to mention plenty of people who never had arthritis probably couldn't do that anyway.

I am satisfied with what I can do now, and happy that my strength will continue to improve. As for 100%....well, I'm substantially better in so many ways than before I had the surgery, even if I have difficulty with certain fine motor skills. I'm definitely not where I was physically before the dysplasia/arthritis took me down. Since I'm several years older than when this all started would I be that person anyway? Who knows.

So, yeah, I don't think I can ever answer this question the way the OP wants. It's time to go out for my walk now, and that's something I had lost the ability to do before the surgery.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:49:42 PM by catfriend »

karlos.bell

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:11:27 AM »
 :) Hi Cat. I will never forget the chronic pain I was in for 8 years. It is unfortunately flash embedded in my brain. But I am grateful for Pat and this web site to start me on the knowledge of Hip Resurfacing. Are my hips better than my natural ones? Yes they are due I had deep hip sockets and never the range of movement I have now.
Did I have chronic arthritis? no that is why I never got help for years and years.

So some surgery works out better than you ever think. Would I want my natural hips back. No because of the issue I had. My strength will keep getting better and better I do not know when or where normal strength will be just I am dam lucky. May be at some point I will be able to travel (money) and meet fellow hippies would be great to see what there lives are like now.

My daughter unfortunately has a similar issue and at least I can guide her in life if she ever has to have hip surgery. I am hoping not but all indications are pointing that way.
Anyway keep improving and being positive.

Cheers K 8)
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »
I would say that, in some ways, I never got back to 100%.  What I mean is that I am one of those few (10%?) that could never return to running.  However, I could return to everything else pain-free, so who the heck cares.

Ignoring the running bit, I would say it took somewhere between 12 - 18 months to regain the quickness and explosiveness.  Now, over 8 years later, I've lost some of that to just plain age.  But, life's a journey, so I'm good with that.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

ahausheer

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 04:59:26 AM »
3 years. I'm a bilateral patient. Was surfing at 1 year though but had clear improvement to about three years in terms of strength and range of motion.

stevel

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 01:13:12 PM »
3 years.  The right hip no longer squeaked occasionally during hiking the mountains during spring grouse hunting.  Now I don’t even think about the hips since they feel so normal.  Only when I get my annual X-rays and blood metal levels which are due shortly.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat