+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Second Hip Resurfacing completed Aug 22, 2017 Dr. Pritchett  (Read 4211 times)

Glenn Urban

Second Hip Resurfacing completed Aug 22, 2017 Dr. Pritchett
« on: August 26, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »
Greetings. 

After posting a set-back for me about 5 weeks ago on left hip resurfacing (new pain after 3.5 months post resurfacing which was done April 2, 2017), I now have had my right hip resurfaced.

Pro's for 2nd Surgery -  Less pain, which could be due to better management of pain killers, or a smoother operation, I am not sure. Woke up with full feeling in both legs, unlike first surgery. Now the clock starts on recovery.

Negatives  - even with a spinal, sick for 8 hours after surgery with nausea. Sick on the flight home, but just once. Was miserable overall during flight. No nausea issues related to first surgery, so not sure what happened.

Thank you to all who have posted on this site.

And Thank You to Pat for producing this site.

Glenn

Glenn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Second Hip Resurfacing completed Aug 22, 2017 Dr. Pritchett
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 07:23:27 PM »
Glenn

Thanks for the update.

I wish you the best with the second hip.  Take it easy and all will be well.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Shiggy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:31:46 PM »
Hi Glenn,

Just checking in to see how the recovery is going with #2?

Derek

Glenn Urban

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
Update: Thank You for asking Derek :)

Flew back to Seattle to see Dr. Pritchett for the required incision review and follow-up X-Rays on Thursday, 9/7. Surgery was 8/22.  This time, I made sure to bring one crutch for moving around. Last time I went up in April for the left hip, I did it without a crutch or cane and it was a bad move. It is amazing how one crutch on your strong side makes hoofing around through airports so much easier. I didn't really have a choice this time, since I had not achieved the point where I could walk without these aids, which meant that I was at least 3 days behind the recovery of the first surgery. However, yesterday, one day later, I did try walking around without any help, and since I was only going to be going to and from the car to my office, etc, I spent my first day sans the crutch. Big time limp, but, it felt good to give it a shot. Today, it feels even better, and the limp has improved by almost 50% amazingly.

Driving already?  Yes. I thought that it would be at least a month before I could drive as this was my right hip, but, I was wrong.  With the use of a pillow for sitting, and my left leg used as a sort of brace to keep me comfortable (avoiding the 90 degree thing), it is a lot easier than I thought. No extended driving. My office is 10 minutes away from work.  No pain meds now during the day is the other reason I am OK with attempting it. Also, it is a pick-up, which lets me sit a little higher with better leg angles than my passenger vehicle. I would not drive my car, just the truck at this point.

Overall, the pain from the second operation is MUCH LESS from day one.  During the first hip recovery, if my left leg started moving toward the center of my torso a little too far, I would get that "shooting nerve pain", and you really appreciate a pillow between your legs for sleeping and you come to your senses real quick anytime that "event" took place. That shooting pain was the same pain that occurred during my relapse 3.5 months after the first surgery. And it happened multiple times after the first surgery in those first few weeks. This time on the right side, I have only sniffed that awful pain maybe once, and it was just a  sniff...nothing like the left hip.  In rationalizing why, it could be that the right leg and hip have been doing the heavy lifting during the left hip recovery, so perhaps my right leg was stronger that the left one was going into the second surgery, and it could account for the overall lack of pain.

Weight loss:  I never really looked at my weight during the first recovery, so I cannot say how much weight I lost during that go around. The surgery creates a significant loss of appetite, probably due to the meds. I thought for sure during the first surgery, the antibiotics were causing the sour stomach and lack of appetite, and my Doc actually let me stop a little early on the antibiotics the first time. This time, I believe I was prescribed a lower amount of pills and finished them off earlier and well, the appetite is still not there after being off the antibiotics for I am guessing a week...it has to be the oxycodone and the Tramadol, which I am only taking at night now. I have lost approximately 15 lbs so far, and I don't really have much more I can lose. I am 6'3", 179 now, and was 195 prior to the surgery.

The pain I experienced in my left leg 3.5 months after surgery has apparently disappeared.  It is doing the heavy lifting now for the right side, and all appears well.

As an aside, I viewed the video with Dr. Pritchett and Orland Williams, and, just to hear it more personalized, I did contact Mr. Williams a few days ago, via googling him on the internet. He was gracious enough to get right back to me, give me a little more detail about his recovery, and he really made my day, as sometimes when you are flat on your back trying to avoid slipping into what I would describe as a mild depression due to the surgery and the inactivity, hearing someone else give a glowing testimonial, and in this case having it personalized, was just the thing I needed. The optimism that grew from his email reply was perfect for me.

So, I am only taking one pain med at night currently, and walking without a crutch or cane - but only short distances - and the appetite is currently still about 50% of normal.

If anyone has any questions, feel free. Oh, and I did fly back from the surgery on Alaska in 1st Class, and the leg room was MUCH better compared to my first back and forths on Southwest during the first surgery. While it was more expensive on the follow up because I didn't have a clear schedule on the follow up date and time, it was reasonable when I booked it a couple months in advance knowing my surgery and fly home date. If you are tall and flying to a doc somewhere for the surgery, you NEED to book the return flight in first class, otherwise you are fidgeting the whole flight trying to avoid the 90 degree thing with your legs and it basically just sucks.

I can safely say I am very happy I do not have 3 hips. The nausea from the spinal the second time around and the 8 hours of heaving/dry heaving really put a  damper on this one. But again, the overall pain appears to be less, and now it is just a game of watching the calendar and looking forward to that 6 month point, where I can begin some light jogging on a school track, etc.

Thanks for listening :)

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THIS SITE AND ALL WHO WRITE ABOUT THEIR HIP RESURFACING EXPERIENCES.

Glenn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Hi Glenn

Thanks for the update.  Great to hear you are doing well.  It does take time - as you know.

I hope things continue to go well - I am sure they well.

Good Luck and keep up the healing!  Gives us an update when you get further down the road of recovery.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Glenn Urban

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 08:19:43 AM »
Six week update, second hip resurfaced. First hip was done April 2nd of this year.

Now that my 90 degree limitation is gone, I am at the gym, doing the stationary bike, stretches learned from first PT go round, and very light swimming, as well as typical free weight workouts...very light....

I have found that even a light workout on the bike and a very short swim, along with just a few sets of some free weight exercises can be a real killer as far as just getting pooped out.

I have lost 15 lbs with this surgery, and have gained only 1 lb back so far.  That is not due to working out. It is due to lack of appetite which is just starting to come back. I had a crappy appetite the first go round, but did not track my weight loss like this time, which makes me think I did not lose as much weight the first time.

After the workouts, I find that my left hip is in almost as much pain as my right. I thought that the left hip would have been well past the "monkey fist" time frame - at least to the extent I feel after these "workouts" - particularly because I thought with all the heavy support work my left hip had been doing for my right hip now that it is in recovery, that the exercises I was doing with regularity but stopped doing after the second surgery, would be a good substitute. I am apparently wrong about that.

I actually tried to refill my pain medication after feeling the effects of the workouts, but, turns out my out of state prescription is not honored here in California for my pain killers, which is fine with me anyway. The pain seems to go away after a good night's sleep, and I would like to get my appetite back to 100%. I am sure it is the pain medication that kills the appetite.

I am curious what the average hospital stay has been for those who have a doc willing to do both hips at the same time.  The new person posting here got me to thinking how much of a baby I must be, since I have now lived through two recoveries five months apart (still living through them I mean), and both my operations were outpatient.  While I have been worried both times about being careful with the recovering hip, those of you that have both done at the same time had to have endured situations that I can only imagine as being difficult. Which shows me again that this device is much hardier once implanted than I imagine. My hat is off to those of you who had both done at the same time. I went in to this whole thing wanting both done at the same time as well, but then was informed my doc does not do both hips at the same time anymore. All in all, I can only imagine that the first week is the toughest, but i am curious how long the hospital stay was in the case of a double surgery.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:27:38 AM by Glenn Urban »

blinky

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
Two years ago I had one hip done on Wednesday, the second on Friday, and left the hospital Saturday. Flew home Sunday. No complications and while the care I received in the hospital was outstanding, I was highly motivated to get out and get home.

I will say that we (me and husband) wondered if I would check out between the surgeries, leave the hospital on Thursday, but I didn't do that. I was too pooped and my leg felt too strange. But I was pushing hard to get released on Saturday and grateful the nurse helped me do that. Saturday night I got dressed to go out and eat at some nice place we wanted to try, but then as we were fixing to leave, I lost my nerve. I feared I wouldn't make it through the dinner, that I'd be too tired.

That flight back was pretty tough, mostly because I was so tired and so eager to be home. Husband had lobbied for me to stay another day or two in the hotel, but I insisted I didn't need to. I think I was right. I heal best in my own house with my own food on my own schedule. I wasn't in pain and knew I could figure out how to manage on my own turf.

It is very individual. If my husband had been the patient, we would have done the surgery in NYC with Dr Su and my husband would have been happy to stay in the hotel near the hospital for a week afterwards. He would have rested, worked on the phone, held court with some NYC friends, taken advantage of any extra PT or OT he could have had by being in town longer. I am the opposite. I just want to go home.

My appetite was also suppressed at first, possibly due to the pain meds. I was making myself eat the first few weeks in order to have energy. I didn't notice it on the scale, though, because my swelling was epic. When the swelling went down, I had lost weight.

Be patient with yourself. Try to eat more. Best of luck.

MattJersey

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 02:11:43 PM »
Blinky's call that it is individual is a good one. Reading that you're doing multiple workouts at six weeks (albeit light) gives me a couple of thoughts:

a. You're pushing too hard
b. Your expectations are too high for how quick your recovery should be

I have posted on here in the past that it is easy to be lured into thinking you should be doing a marathon at 3 months. Stories like that are super hero stories. We are all individuals, and I think we all just need to take our own time.

In 12 months, you will look back and see just how much progress you have made. And most of all, surely the primary reason for the surgery (rather than posting new PB run times), you will remember the pain before surgery. You no longer have that, and you can do soooooo much more than what you could just before your surgery and have no pain in your hips at all.

The fitness level, and the soft tissue pains ... give it time and it will all come good.

Matt
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

catfriend

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »
Glenn -

I, for one, would be happy to lose 15 pounds after surgery, or just pretty much anytime. Didn't happen for me.  :( I wasn't nauseous, and if I'm ever so slightly nauseous I usually feel better after I eat. If I'm taking opiates I stave off the nausea with food. Not much of a weight loss plan!

I remember when I first ventured outdoors after surgery that walking around the block made me feel like I'd run a marathon. When I was first walking at the gym (walking track) I was glad to sit down between laps. The first swim was weird, and I gave myself a few sessions to get back into it. But within a few weeks I built my strength and endurance back up. :)

I was surprised at how weak I was after surgery. You're probably experiencing the same. AS for your first hip being weaker now, I'm not surprised. It was still in the healing process when you had this second surgery, and the time you've taken off exercise, carrying around bags of bark, etc. has no doubt arrested - and probably even reversed some - the progress it was making getting stronger. I bet within 3 - 6 weeks you'll be feeling a lot better and stronger on both sides. They just need time to heal together.

In the meantime, my suggestion is to not overdo it in hopes of getting better faster, and to avoid raking up and carting around big bags of leaves, rock salt, kitty litter, bags of lead, etc. Walk before you run!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
Hi Glenn

Thanks for the update.  I am sure many will appreciate you posting your story.

Take it easy and Good Luck.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Glenn Urban

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:05:17 PM »
9 week update for second hip resurfacing and 7 month update on first hip resurfacing:

First, Thank You for the replies to my last update on this thread. I appreciate all of them and all of the posts I read on this site.

What is new: Did not refill my pain medicine after the first round after the second operation was done because after the first attempt, I was too lazy to get my general to fill the prescription. All good, a week later did not need.

No pain in either hip at this point for 99% of the time. I am back in that window where I think the operations have been a very good decision to make, and so far, they have accomplished what I had hoped.

The one drawback I posted about in month 3.5 after the left hip was done in April? No recurrence of the sharp, stabbing pains after doing too much physically. Second hip appears to be coming along at a much faster pace than the first surgery.  Getting out of a car that sits low to the ground, yeah, I kind of have to stretch out and move a little before the stiffness goes away. I do not get out of a car that sits low to the ground like a ballerina, that is for sure. More like someone trying to peel themselves out of a wooden barrel, for a visual. But once out, I am OK after a few seconds. The oil needs to flow to the joints. This is also my lower back having to adjust to my new gait (which I guess changed back in April after the first surgery, and was changing daily as that hip healed up to late August, when I had the right hip done, and so my gate was changed again...the stiffness in the lower back is by no means a constant...just really getting out of the car, in the mornings etc...it is only a small, small thing I have noticed and I expect it to go away also with more healing time).

I am doing PT on my own with the right hip now. I have the prescription in a file at home, but am not having it done. Some of you may say that is a no-no, however, I can do 95% of everything they showed me in PT after the first hip was done, on my own. I think that might be a sign that the right hip has really healed (is healing) much quicker than the left one did.

My routine is to hit the gym in the morning, get on the stationary bike, and do a short distance (2 miles) at various resistance levels, maybe do some upper body exercises, and then get into the hot tub and let the jets hit the hips to loosen them up more after the bike work, then do light stretching, then get into the steam room or the dry sauna (whichever has no one else in it) and do my PT sets.

I try to get in a long walk 3 times a week, and am adding to that as time goes on. Yesterday I used a ladder to hang Halloween lights, and today, the right leg was sore.  I did not think that would happen.

Both hips feel great, but, the range of motion is not back yet, but it is not terrible. From what I have read here, that will take some time. I was never very limber to begin with so I do not have fantasies of becoming a yoga master. But I do want to get back to at least where I was. Pick stuff up off the floor...that is still a challenge. Much easier to find a chair, or a box, or the wall to lean against to get to the ground, and get back up.

That is it for the update. If anyone reads my stuff and is thinking of having this operation done, I would go for it as long as you feel comfortable with your choice of a surgeon. I flew out of state to see Dr. Pritchett and so far, I am a satisfied customer.

The End.

Glenn Urban

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
8.5 Month Update Left Hip, Almost 4 months Right Hip:

Big believer in Dr. Pritchett's skills as a surgeon.

No pain.

The situation with my recovery is now so good, I have to stop doing what I normally do when trying to get from Point A to Point B around the yard, etc...move at something faster than a shuffle and slower than a jog. Remembering how at 3.5 months after left hip resurfacing I had a setback due to moving objects around, I have abstained from doing anything similar, or anything that might be against doctor's orders. My rehab consists of walking, swimming, stationary bike, and particularly stretching in the hot tub at my gym, which seems to do wonders. The swimming and stationary bike are by no means on a regular basis.

The calendar has a mark on February 22, when my right hip will have had six months to repair itself, and my left hip will have had pretty much 11 months. I will start jogging and playing half court basketball at that point.

My neighbors ask me about my surgery constantly since I was the 53 year old guy walking around like he had a back problem, when in fact it was my hips. Wish I had found out about this surgery sooner. I tell people I don't even know I had the surgery at this point in the recovery process, except when performing certain tasks, like trying to bend down to pick something up off the carpet, or pick up after my dog.  It can be a chore...but it is getting better. If there is a car bumper or chair nearby, I am golden.

Good luck to all, keep the stories coming please, and Thank You so much Patricia for this site.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Glenn

Sounds like you are doing great.  Thank You so much for sharing your story and updates.

I wish you the very best.

Pat
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Glenn Urban

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 08:39:28 AM »
10 months left hip, 5 right hip.

Going to gym this a.m. to shoot baskets by myself. Just shooting around and running after the ball is enough to work up a sweat these days. Been doing this for about a week.  Running after the ball is not really correct...jogging to the ball is more like it. Shooting jumpers.  Had a pain in the right hip a few days ago that I had never experienced before...very mild...but it did repeat a moment later, so I stopped. Tried again a day later...no pain...I know I am one month shy of the 6 month mark, when the odds of something going wrong are pretty low, but, from what I read on this site, a lot of people are a lot more active than me at this point in their recovery, and they seem to do well. And the Doc OK'd it, so, I am IN.

I have noticed a little bit of pain here and there while walking say at night to go somewhere, but it is rare, and it has to be expected after so long not doing anything as mild as shooting a basketball in a gym. Interestingly, it is most often in the left hip. Still doing a little stationary bike work, and using the StairMaster...now more shorter workouts that are more intense. The hot tub is a daily ritual after the workout..actually used it before working out a couple of times and found it was very helpful. Getting warm water to hit each hip seems to work wonders for me as far as getting rid of stiffness and getting the blood circulating around the incision site.

I told my brother, who is contemplating having one hip done, that I was almost laughing while I was shooting buckets... it is so good to be able to dribble a basketball up and down the court, and to chase a loose ball around the gym. He is still waiting to see how my entire recovery goes I think. 

So far, so good.

blinky

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
I am happy for you. Yes, I remember the joy of being able to do things I loved again.

Glenn Urban

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »
Thank you Blinky...I did about ten "fast jogs" up and down the basketball court today, and then hit the treadmill and actually ran/walked a 1/2 mile distance, then did a quarter mile full run at an 8 minute mile pace. And that was enough for today in the running category. Used the Stairmaster for 5 minutes. Swam just a little bit. Did some free weights just a little bit. Then hit the hot tub and stretched the hips and legs out. For many, that may not seem like much, but for me..after YEARS of pain in the left hip, then the right hip going down the same path, I am just in a STATE OF EUPHORIA over my progress. Without a doubt, hip resurfacing is to me a modern miracle. Like I said, so far so good, and hope it stays good.

I would like to express my gratitude to you and others here who have been regular commenters on posts that I have placed, and also are regularly giving feedback to others. IT HELPS ME AND OTHER READERS.  I read a ton of posts before making my decision to get resurfacing. This site is a huge tool for people.

And now, I am getting to that point where I am building up, slowly, to running again. Playing basketball again. I have promised myself I won't do anything but up the activity gradually. Shooting buckets by myself is pretty good for now. I don't need to jump out into a full court game anytime soon, but I have read some stories of some guys who were playing full court and running at the 5 month mark. And even sooner..just seems too soon to me, but, my activities are probably a no-no for others here as well. And it won't be me necessarily fighting the urge to do more. At 54 and not being able to run for so long, my own stamina is what is going to keep me from over-doing it. It is easy to cut back on a work out when one is sweating profusely and panting like a long haired dog in the summer sun. Again, Thank you to you and others such as Catfriend, MattJersey, Shiggy, others...and Pat of course.

Never thought I would be so happy to be pain-free like I am today, and actually starting to think about running 40, 50, 70, and 100 yard sprints. I actually didn't really believe it was in the realm of possibility...I read such feats of recovery on this website, but, deep down, I was not sure because...because I have not gotten to that point yet. I am still not 100% sure I will be doing those sprints. It seems like a dream actually..but what happened on the treadmill this morning 5 months post-surgery on the right hip, and almost 10 on the left...I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. One device - in each hip - is allowing me to set the clock back 6 years and more on my body.

Now, that is the end of a real snor-fest of a post. My giddy-ness has the best of me. And pretty soon, this little Buddha Belly that has become my newest sidekick since the 2nd surgery will be leaving.

Pretty amazing.

Thank you again to you and others who actively give feedback.

Glenn

Glenn Urban

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 01:33:20 PM »
13 Month Update Left Hip, 9.5 months right hip:

Both hips have their moments where you feel the golf ball or the "monkey fist" and it typically happens to me if I have not been soaking both hips in the hot tub once a day with the jets hitting them for at least a few minutes each. Big believer that it helps the circulation around each surgery site.

Had to put the jogging idea on hold for a couple of months as I had Achilles tendon pain in both ankles, likely from shooting buckets on the basketball court and I am thinking wearing running shoes was not a help.

Started a very, very limited jogging workout yesterday.  Found it interesting that I was not worried about my hips, but about my ankles.

Short workout, lots of walking and just a little short jogging thrown in. No pain. So I stopped after maybe 10 minutes. That suited me :)  Will gradually, slowly, add to my length of workout.

Great site, Thanks to all. Would do both surgeries again based on current status.  (Knock on metal that it never has to happen again for me :)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat