+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canada vs USA - I've got both sides now!  (Read 3088 times)

packman

Canada vs USA - I've got both sides now!
« on: October 05, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »
a little compare and contrast
Backing up to march 21/13 I had my right hip resurfaced with Dr Gross - I was in the Ontario queue for hip resurfacing but due to bone on bone debilitating my life the line for dr Schemitsch was well over 2 yrs in the Toronto area. I was fortunate enough to be able to afford dr gross but it was a quality of life / want to continue working decision - I remember asking Dr Gross how's the osteo arth in the left hip and he said you will prob be back in 4 years. Dr Schemitsch office called July/13 and said we now have a date for you Oct 21/13 - 2 1/2 years in the queue!
March/16 I retired from work - went to gym to get more active but after 1 week of workouts my left hip was bothering me. Never have had ANY 0 zilch nada issues with my right hip. Took a week off and resumed workouts- I knew my body right away. Let's get back in the Ontario Medicare queue depressing but left hip let's get X-rays - my diagnosis confirmed

Canada - Dr Schemitsch moved hospitals to London 2 hours east wait time for this elective surgery reduced now about 16 months. There are no doctors that I know of that perform resurface in the Toronto area. Tons do THR but ev1 told me too young and active for THR and I knew the advantages

USA - wait times 3 months
Canada - cost covered by OHIP Medicare system no patient charge
USA - I'm not covered by any medical insurance - significant out of pocket cost
Canada - BHR uncemented USA Dr Gross - diff device biomet cementless both posterior approaches
Experience - Dr Schemitsch over 500 excellent surgeon Dr Gross probably 8 to 10 times more leads in field but both are proven solutions
USA - incision sewed by stitches Canada - sewed by staples being removed by family dr next week
USA - progressive activity crutch cane walking did my own physio Canada - no wait bearing for 6 weeks crutches toe taps and limited exercise only
I will have more to come but bear in mind my right hip was way worse at pre-op vs left

Looking forward to progression and life as a bilateral
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Canada vs USA - I've got both sides now!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 07:42:39 PM »
Hi Packman

Congratulations on the second hip.  Great to have a comparison of 2 devices and 2 surgeons.

Thanks so much for posting.

I wish you the best and look forward to your updates.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

packman

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:29:24 PM »
Thx Pat
Staples out today - family doctor says I have healed very well back there with no blood seepage
This recovery going very well noticeably lower swelling
Of course the USA one had on day 3 -over 200 total yards of crutching, 2 1/2 hour car drive Columbia to Charlotte, 2 hr flight no biz or bulkhead class in cramped seat, unavoidable sitting in L position in airport wheel chair going thru security deboarding, clearing customs and then 45 minute airport to home Limo
If I had to do that over again I would have stayed in Columbia SC longer and travelled out day 9. When swelling risks much lower
4 week countdown to X-ray and further clearances for physio activities etc
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Shiggy

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:21:27 PM »
Congrats packman,  I just had my right hip resurfaced yesterday (BHR) in Seattle so I'm not far behind you in recovery. Hope all is going well.

Derek (Shiggy)

LBHR 6/20/2017 Dr Pritchett
RBHR 10/10/2017 Dr Pritchett

packman

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »
Hi Everyone
Just had my 6 week checkup with Dr Schemitsch
All x-rays were good - Goodbye crutches and I have been cleared for weight load on the left hip and transitioned to a cane (I suspect for 1-2 weeks) - Seem to need the cane for balance and to start trusting the left hip. I need to re-engage those muscles and walk / walk and walk and/or swim. I have a bit of a limp that based on previous experience with the right will disappear after some additional practice engagement of the muscles and weight load
I am going to try the foam roller for some progressive sessions starting tomorrow and expect it to hurt a bit - I am restricted from deep squats, deep lunges anything past the 90 degree mark such as leg presses to the chest until my next 6 week check up
As soon as I feel some comfort in walking I will begin no to very low resistance stationary bike or elliptical sessions at the gym
This is quite different from Dr. Gross's methodology of progress at your own rate / his general guidelines of weight load vs. crutch vs. cane vs. walking distances - I found the Cdn. 6 week recovery of no weight bearing very very boring with no sense of progression (I mean I didn't even test the weight load but could feel my hip/leg getting stronger) but perhaps that is BHR difference vs. Biomet device or just more Cdn. conservatism of avoiding dislocation / problems vs. the take more risk USA approach
I am looking forward to getting back to my pre-surgery condition of leg pressing over 500 lbs., and working with free weights for squats and lunges and building power for golf. I have to be careful though of not rushing it - time is on my side and we are all different
I should be golfing in January (not in Toronto unless indoor practice)
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Saf57

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »
Congratulations on your second hip resurfacing. A question--you indicate that your BHR was "uncemented". I thought that all BHR's have a cemented femoral component(as opposed to the Biomet that Dr. Gross uses). Is this not the case?

packman

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 01:35:47 PM »
I was told by my surgeon that the BHR was indeed uncemented - I will also defer to Shiggy for his experience with Dr. Pritchett that his BHR was uncemented
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Saf57

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »
The BHR has a cemented femoral component, although the acetabular cup, like most other manufacturers, is uncemented. I believe that only Dr. Gross uses(and is a strong proponent of) an uncemented femoral component, which he developed with Biomet.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat