+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: ACETABULAR FRACTURE  (Read 1902 times)

john2465

ACETABULAR FRACTURE
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:06:13 PM »
i had an acetabular fracture in 1994 and internal fixation and reduction to correct.  my hip is getting worse as time goes passes.  i am considering hip resurfacing instead of thr.  does an acetabular fracture present problems for a successful hip resurfacing?

thanks

John`

Vicky

Re: ACETABULAR FRACTURE
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:42:18 PM »
Hi John,

Only a doctor can really tell you that for sure.  I know that patients that have had femoral neck fractures that have had pins placed in their hips have gone on to develop AVN and then had their hips successfully resurfaced.  I have not heard of acetabular fractures before though.  I would make sure you get your x-rays to some of the top doctors to find out and not just go to any surgeon that is new to hip resurfacing.  The acetabular side is the same with THR as it is with a resurface in most cases so I don't see why that would preclude your from resurfacing, but then again, I am not a doctor.  :-)  How old are you and where do you live?

Vicky

john2465

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:09:57 PM »
Thanks for FYI Vicky.  I am a 43 year old male located in South Jersey.  I'm ready to go out of network to get best care available. 

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »
Then I highly recommend Dr. Su at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.  He is not that far from you and one of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the world IMO.
At your age, you have to try to get resurfacing and not a THR if at all possible, you are WAY too young for a THR.
Vicky

john2465

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 04:42:28 PM »
Dr. Su was #1 on my short list.  HSS has a great reputation.  I'm glad to know I'm on the right track.  Thank you so much for your input.  It means a lot to have someone with whom to discuss these issues.

john2465

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 05:25:32 PM »
Yes. Last week i watched the Dr. Su and the really top notch patient advocate who interviewed him ;-).  I also watched Dr. Bose perform surgery with BHR on youtube.  Trying to get myself in the right frame of mind to go forward with it.  I have a solo legal practice and am trying to figure out my downtime.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 05:36:03 PM »
  ;D  Dr. Bose is a master at what he does.  I feel so fortunate that I had him as my surgeon.If you are looking at both Dr. Su and Dr. Bose, you can not go wrong with either one.

Vicky

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat