+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running again!  (Read 1471 times)

Paprika

Running again!
« on: November 08, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »
Since Dr. Pritchett cleared me to run on October 10, I have been gradually upping my mileage.  Yesterday (Nov. 7), I hit a new post-surgery PR of 4 miles - 3200 meters non-stop @8:45 pace, 2X400 and 2X200 intervals and another 2000 @ 9:05 pace! I run on a rubberized high school track about 3 times a week and always start and end with 1200 to 1600 meters of walking. 

It hasn't all been smooth sailing.  During my second week, I began to feel pain on the inside of my left knee (left hip was resurfaced) when my left foot hit the ground.  I cut back and ultimately stopped running for several days.  Then, instead of going from my walk straight into intervals (as I had been doing), I started running at a slower pace for 1 mile or more prior to intervals.  This transition has really helped with my running form and left leg strength.  Also, my PT has me doing a series of left leg strengthening exercises, as well as running with my glutes instead of my quads.

The next step for me is to gradually acclimate to running on asphalt, which is the surface on which a lot of outdoor races are run.   'Would love to hear from my fellow surface hippy runners who have made this transition!

Tri Hard Alan

Re: Running again!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:32:36 AM »
I think you are doing a lot of things right already. To be up to 4 miles already is great.

The tips I would add after being through the process:

• Don't rush to up the milage. Every time you increase stay there at that new mark for a while, let your body get used to it fully.
  • Concentrate on good running form, ie the classic good sense stuff like landing mid foot, under the hips, upright slightly leaning forward. When I race and get tired and the form ragged, that's when the hip complains.
  • Do the majority of running on soft surfaces, grass, track or treadmill. TBH, this applies to everybody, not just Hippies. Only do a minimal amount on asphalt.
Good luck and look forward to hearing about your progress.

blinky

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
Go Paprika!

I agree you are doing things right and also concur on not pushing the mileage too fast. Don't be afraid to stop and hang at a certain level for a few weeks. Let the soft tissue catch up.

To get to asphalt? Gradually. Maybe one day a week a short run on the road. If you are training for something, increase the distance slowly.

I have been running on roads and tm with concrete being my nemesis. I feel it when I run on sidewalks.

Paprika

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
Thank you, Alan and Blinky for your very helpful advice!  Yesterday, I ran 5K on an asphalt trail near me.  First I walked for 12 minutes, then I ran 9:22, 8:56 and 8:52 per mile, after which I walked for another 10 minutes.  Today, I am tired but not particularly sore.  I will continue to focus on form and not up the mileage too quickly.

blinky

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
Those are great times.

Thinking back, I did need a warm up in the early days. I couldn't roll out of bed and hit the road any more, I had to be up and walking around awhile before I could run.

Also glad to see you are working on strengthening other parts to support the running. I agree with that, too, and would suggest you keep doing that, and be aware that you may have to move to different parts as time goes on. Glutes today, could be lower abs tomorrow. You are doing a good job of listening to your body.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear