+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing with Professor Cobb 2017  (Read 2719 times)

fastboy64

Hip Resurfacing with Professor Cobb 2017
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
An osteopath recently hypothesised that the osteoarthritis (OA) in my left hip was probably caused by a leg length discrepancy from birth – my left jamming down first would have taken its toll and eventually caught-up with me over the course of my 50+ years! Whether or not this theory is correct, it is true to say that I started to notice persistent groin (adductor) tightness from 2008. From much further back to 1991 when I started running, I had noticed that niggles and injuries nearly always occurred in my left leg. I have found it very interesting that different professions rarely cross-reference to consider all the evidence … so you inevitably get conflicting diagnoses and therefore often contradictory treatment plans.

From 1991 to 1996 I went from scratch to training for and racing in 4 big city marathons (New York, London, Berlin & Chicago). I ran 2:57 in September 1995 in Berlin at the age of 31, but then started to get problems and full-blown injuries which meant I ended-up walking the second half of the Chicago marathon in October 1996.

For the next 13 years I kept getting injured and so failed to train consistently to race to my potential – this was incredibly frustrating as my big passion in life was to train hard for and compete in marathon races around the world. I became a walking directory of physios and wider therapists – none of whom were able to offer a diagnosis and treatment plan to get me training and racing consistently.

More through persistence on my part and good luck rather than good management, I finally managed to get myself into shape to race another marathon.

In 2009 I placed 222nd finisher of over 6,000 runners at the Rotterdam marathon in a time of 2:55:45. I had actually managed to improve my PB despite being 13 years older. An improvement I mainly attribute to lifestyle changes impacting on work, sleep, nutrition and smarter training. All this despite what I later knew to be a rapidly deteriorating hip!

In 2012 I came within 52 seconds of this time at the same event in Rotterdam. After the race I had to lie down on a bed for hours with a strong aching pain from what I perceived to be my adductors. I knew something was wrong and needed an explanation. Knowing  the problem is such an important step forward … you become empowered to investigate what best to do, you can plan your rehabilitation!

I was finally diagnosed with OA in my left hip in February 2013.

The diagnosis was a shock and devastating for me and led to a period of readjustment as well as research into the impact of OA as a long-term condition on quality of life for athletes wishing to continue to compete.

My research led me to try and self-manage to offset surgery. I tried all sorts of things including glucosamine and chondroitin supplements, copper heels, acupuncture, steroid injections, prolozone injections & intensive therapy and massage – all ultimately to no avail. If you were to ask me what made the biggest difference, I would say acupuncture actually got me significantly better for 9 months or so!

I stopped running in April 2014. I remember my last run was on Easter Sunday 2014 – the run itself was OK but I was in pain for about a week afterwards and just knew I had to stop. That same month I decided to learn to swim and so started lessons just before my 50th birthday. I progressed to completing open water swim races – a mile in 28:49 in July 2016 and a 4K in 1:29 in August 2016 – not fast but a benchmark from which to improve! Interestingly I noticed that swimming long distance in open water really made my hip hurt – it felt like it ‘froze’ / locked-up and ached increasingly over time spent in the water. This did not happen in the pool, I think because the act of kicking of the side every 25 metres actually tractions the hip and so stops the ‘freezing’ / locking / aching that I would get in open water.

With a definitive diagnosis and growing awareness the OA was only going one way, I got a referral to the care of an orthopaedic surgeon at Addenbrooke’s hospital in Cambridge, UK. I attended as an outpatient in January 2015 and was told I would need surgery any time from 6 months to 5 years depending on the progression of the OA in my hip. Options for surgery were explained including a total hip replacement (THR) and a Birmingham Hip Resurface (BHR) - the latter offered by Addenbrooke’s for younger, active hip OA patients. In May 2015 I had experienced sufficient deterioration and daily discomfort to take the decision to go onto a list for a BHR procedure due October 2015.

I had done extensive research about the relative merits and risks of BHR over THR and came to the conclusion that for my personal priorities and lifestyle, a BHR procedure offered the best outcome for me. Performed by a skilled, well-practised surgeon, the weight of evidence shows that patients rehabilitate back to near 100% mobility and functionality in the hip. This outcome would enable me to continue to do what I love to do - train and compete in endurance sports – realistically perhaps not as a marathon runner, but potentially competing in shorter road races, open water swim races as well as aquathlon events.

In the summer of 2015 Smith & Nephew, the manufacturer of the BHR implant, took the decision to recall all kit for procedures for small hips (femoral head of diameter less than 50mm). Following an MRI scan at Addenbrooke’s in December 2015 my left hip was estimated to be around 46mm. This meant I could not have a BHR procedure – I was once again devastated by this latest news. I decided I was not ready for a THR as this would likely outcome in reduced hip mobility and functionality – something I was not prepared to accept at my age and levels of activity. My research showed that there continue to be a range of different implants designed and manufactured for hip resurface procedures that were available, some on the NHS.

I was becoming desperate to proceed as soon as is possible with an alternative resurface procedure option. I was recommended Professor Justin Cobb at Charing Cross hospital (Imperial College London) as an expert proponent of resurface procedures. What is more, Professor Cobb was about to start a clinical trial of a new ceramic resurface implant device which was reputed to avoid the risk of toxicity from metal-on-metal implants such as the BHR device. What is more this new H1 ceramic implant is designed with a contour to avoid psoas impingement and has a special coating to encourage bonding to bone.
What finally convinced me that this was absolutely the right option for me was the extent of preoperative planning undertaken by Professor Cobb and his team at the MSK lab at Imperial – they 3-D print the instruments bespoke just for your surgery! The precision of their work is outstanding and is what I believe will deliver amazing outcomes for patients.

I was on the very first list of the safety group for the clinical trial – I had my operation on 26 September 2017. The procedure took just 90 mins and I had a spinal block (epidural) plus a sedative. My new hip feels superb. I was walking 5k in well under 50 mins just 2-3 weeks post surgery. I have since been working on strength and conditioning for the operated leg and am now back swimming and on my elliptical cross-trainer 6 weeks postop.

I feel incredibly positive about the future and look forward to training and racing competitively in the not too distant future. I predict that the new H1 hip resurface implant will prove to be a big success and radically improve the lives of many – thank you Professor Cobb!

David Brewer
10 November 2017
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:59:14 PM by Pat Walter »

blinky

Re: my hip journey so far ...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »
So you got a ceramic hip! How exciting. I look forward to following your story.

evant

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
Enjoyed reading your detailed post. Well done getting over the devastating hurdle of withdrawn small BHR's. It must be comforting to know you'll be closely monitored by Professor Cobb and his H1 ceramic team for the next 10 years. Loved hearing of your strong recovery post-op.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

petemeads

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:29:44 PM »
Hi David, thanks for posting the story of your journey so far - looking forward to regular updates!
Tri Hard Alan and I went to the Musculoskeletal department of Imperial College last summer and met Professor Cobb and his team members and were very impressed with their facilities and techniques. The ceramic resurfacing was discussed but despite checking their website regularly I found nothing to suggest that trials had commenced until after my operation in May this year so I am a bit disappointed to have missed an opportunity. I went for another BHR (48mm, small) and ended up with a ceramic THR as my femoral head broke off. I expect this could have happened with the H1 device anyway, or perhaps they would have been wary of my bone quality and not taken the chance.
Anyway, I am pretty happy with my THR, I was jogging at 6 weeks and running reasonably well at 6 months and have a fair bit more range of movement than my BHR leg. Happy the new joint will not wear out or shatter but a bit nervous having a stem in my femur..
Not intending to go back to marathons but maybe halves in the next year, 5k parkruns are my current objective!

Cheers, Pete
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »
Some very fast marathon times, impressive!

As Petemeads said having see the facilities and the 3D printing I will be interested to hear how you progress.

Good luck!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip Resurfacing with Professor Cobb 2017
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 01:01:04 PM »
Hi David

Thank You for posting your story.  I know many people will be very interested in it since you are in the trials for the ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing device.

I hope you don't mind, but I changed the title to better explain your great story.

I wish you the very best and am looking forward to any updates.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DaveR

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 02:49:19 PM »
David,

Thanks for the posting.  I have been following the CoC H1 for a while, and have corresponded with Professor Cobb.

As an aside, found your story of problems with your left side an interesting reminder of troubles with my left side.  Have been an ultramarathoner (e.g., Western States 100 and Badwater 135).  Have had problems with left SI, left knee and left foot.  Turns out left leg is about 4 mm longer than right, not much, but after long miles, especially on roads, it adds up.  Also have FAI (femoral acetabular impingements), two different kinds (pincer and cam), in left hip joint, which altered motion of left hip (wondered why my left hip flexors jave always been tight).  This lead to OA only in my left hip, while the right hip looks wonderful.

Have been a Nervous Nelly about doing a CoC.  One very prominent hip surgeon (one of the most praised on this site) told me that the H1 looked very risky to him (no reasons given, however).  With ceramic THA, fractures and squeaking are problems.  Seems for a CoC HR not so.

Wondering what problems if any you have had.  Any squeaking, vibrations, etc., etc.? 

Please keep us posted on your progress, every couple of weeks or so, if you don't mind, early on, then every month, until 1 year.  Would appreciate it very much.

Dave

fastboy64

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 03:52:32 PM »
Hi Dave,
No problems at all at 3 months postop - I am completely satisfied with progress.
My strength & conditioning routine seems to be paying dividends and I am back to full on training in the pool.
I have decided to wait until 6 months postop (Easter) to start running - I will follow the Dr Su PT programme and make sure I run on grass.
I'm impressed with your ultras and can certainly appreciate how small biomechanical inefficiencies can magnify through performance. I would certainly go for surgery in your case.
I would love to know what the surgeon perceives the risk to be? Prof Cobb and his team are a class act and inspire confidence.
I'll try to post regular updates - 2018 will be a big year - I have entered aquathlon races in May and July.
Best
David

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »
Sounds like you are doing great.  Thanks for the update.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

DaveR

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
David,

Wondering how you are doing at this point.  Would you kindly provide an update?

Regarding not running for a while post surgery, wondering what restrictions Dr. Cobb has recommended. 

There is an elite ultramarathon runner, who had a BHR done by Dr. Su, who did his first marathon post-surgery at 4 months, and a 100 miler at 7 months.  No negative after effects. 

Thanks,

Dave

DaveR

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »
David,

Further note: realize that I never answered your question about what risks Dr. Su saw with the new CoC device. 

The statement was indirect, from his PA, who said Dr. Su saw doing the new CoC device as risky.  No reason was given. 

Likely, IMO, he meant just that it is new and unproven; a lot of hip implant devices over the years have been recalled due to unanticipated problems.

Interestingly, Dr. Amstutz feels it is risky as well, simply based on the notion that the 10 year trial has not yet been completed.  We simply do not know how well it will work out, no matter how well researched it is is.  It is interesting that Dr. Amstutz's design, the Conserve Plus (C+), was withdrawn in the U.S. by the regulators, even though it is still in use in Europe in a modified form (has an HA coating on the cup so as to encourage bone to integrate ... so as to prevent aceptic loosening).  The U.S. version did not have this coating (the H1 does), and there was more cup loosening than with the BHR (not much but statistically significant).

Dr. De Smet, who is a big fan of the C+, nonetheless has said that he thinks CoC will be better and "the answer."

Regards,

Dave

Saf57

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 11:08:10 AM »
Article from the past week on the H1:https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180207102308.htm

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat