+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Patient Traveling Solo  (Read 1334 times)

Nalumon

Patient Traveling Solo
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »
I am (or was) an active 47 year old woman contemplating traveling to India for a hip resurfacing and will be traveling alone. Wondering about the experience of others having the procedure without moral or logistical support, and what steps I might take to effectively manage the process.

Thank you in advance for your input!

MattJersey

Re: Patient Traveling Solo
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 04:49:43 AM »

Can't comment too much on the travelling solo stuff - I personally went in to Birmingham solo, but not quite the same as heading out to India! I spent 5 nights in hospital and I find it difficult to imagine much different to that, but there are a great many stories on here where folk are out and in a hotel on day 2.

If you're heading to Dr Bose in Chennai, I believe he uses S&N BHR, so this won't be an option as not available for female. Happy to be corrected.

Have you identified a surgeon/what device option is available?

M
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

blinky

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
Yeah, make sure you will be getting a resurfacing. Most women can't get a BHR because we are too small.

How long does Bose have you stay post op? If you stay about a week, you ought to feel pretty good by the time you go home. Two weeks? Even better.

I didn't fly solo, but did leave town quickly post op. My few tips would be: fly first class, use all handicapped services offered, including pre board, wheelchairs, elevators, and larger bathrooms. Can you get a flight on a plane with a seat that goes flat into a bed? That would help. Have your painkillers in hand just in case. If you leave after a week, you might not need them anymore, but be safe and not sorry. Bring ziplock bags to fill with ice. After the first few days, swelling is the biggest problem, so you will want to keep the leg elevated and the hip iced. In a flat bed seat, you could prop up the leg with pillows, ice the hip, sit back and watch movies during the long flight. Don't be afraid to ask for help on the journey home.

Bring a mindless diversion. Books on tape? Audible? Podcasts? Something to passively pass the time.

If you do it alone, come tell us how it went!

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »
I assume going to India is a cost-related thing.  It's been a while for me, but Dr. Gross in Columbia SC can do his surgeries outpatient and he operates successfully on women.  The outpatient aspect saves a TON of money.

However, outpatient and solo.....that would be really hard.  You need help and support for the first week at least.  I can't imagine doing my first resurfacing on my own, and outpatient at that.  Maybe my next one.  If you could arrange for a nursing service to be at the hotel with you for 4-5 days, it might work.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat