+-

Author Topic: Contemplating Revision  (Read 1292 times)

pamela1130

Contemplating Revision
« on: November 15, 2017, 03:01:43 AM »
Hi: My question is when do you know it is time to have a revision.  Long story short, had my resurfacing done in 2009.  Had on and off trouble since.  Vicky Marlow (R.I.P.)  graciously helped me and had my x-ray looked at by various doctors and everything was placed fine.  Had a psoas release this past Feb.   Helped a little.  Never really had range of motion, can't sit crossed legged, can't tie or put on shoe without struggle, pain picking up leg, etc.  Saw my Dr. last month and he said x-ray shows the bone is starting to wear away.  This is where the cup sits on the bone.  At the time I really had no pain and felt fine.  He said we would watch and wait then to see how it goes.  He has asked me over the years if I wanted a revision as I had been to him several times with different complaints.  Anyway, since I went to the doctor I have been exercising more and the pain has increased.  I feel in my heart that a revision is inevitable.  I am not in excruciating pain but I am very frustrated that I can not do things with my leg that I want to.  My husband last year had a THR and he does much better than me and feels like he has a new leg. One part of me wants to just do it and get it over with and move forward but the other half of me is very afraid.  I guess I'm asking how do you make the decision.  What do you base it on.  Thanks for any insight.  I am 63 years old. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Contemplating Revision
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »
Hi Pam

I am sorry you are having problems with your hip resurfacing.  Seems like you have had problems on and off ever since it was done.

I can't tell you when to have a revision.  Have you tried to contact any of the other really experienced surgeons via email and get a consultation?  They might give you some useful information.

I remember reading, you are a small woman - I think.  That has been a problem for some. 

It is terrible that you have not been able to get on and have a pain free, useful hip resurfacing.  You are obviously still not enjoying your activities and having pain. 

I think I would seriously try to find out more about what could be wrong and what could be done.  I definitely would suggest getting some more input if you could. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

pamela1130

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:13 AM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me.  I can't believe you actually remember me when I found this site after I jut had the resurfacing.  I am very grateful to you.  Pam

einreb

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:38 AM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me.  I can't believe you actually remember me when I found this site after I jut had the resurfacing.  I am very grateful to you.  Pam

Pam,

I'm sorry to hear that you are hurting.  I also think that 'being afraid' is quite reasonable.  To add to Pat's comments and what Vicky likely would have guided you towards is getting input from a very experienced doctor.

If for whatever reason, the answer is a THR revision... it would certainly be a long term positive.  You would have the initial setback of the surgery but please remember that recovery pain is something that will diminish quickly rather than weigh on you like you're dealing with now.

You mention the 'bone wearing away', is that on the femoral side or acetabular?

-Bernie
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:19:10 AM »
Hi Pam

I have to be honest.  At age 73, I don't remember well - but I knew enough to go back and read your past posts.  I do care about the people on the discussion group and try to give good advice when I can.

I hope you can get some additional input and get some relief.  As Bernie said, there are many people with THRs that lead very active and pain free lives.

Here are a few of the revision stories that might interest you:

http://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-stories/thr-and-revision-stories/

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter