+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: OPINIONS FOR LONG RIDE HOME IN A CAR -POST-OP  (Read 1762 times)

tommyhip

OPINIONS FOR LONG RIDE HOME IN A CAR -POST-OP
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
I will be having a resurfacing in the next few months. I hate to fly so I am driving down approx. 12 hours with a friend. I am required to stay overnight and then I can leave the next day. APPRECIATE anyone's input or comment on riding in a car - front seat or back - for 12 hours one day after a posterior resurfacing. Of course my friend will be driving. THAN YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Quig

Re: OPINIONS FOR LONG RIDE HOME IN A CAR -POST-OP
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
You'll still be on enough pain meds to knock you out for the majority of those 12 hours. It won't be a pleasant trip, but totally do-able. I'd say the wildcard is the type of vehicle you'll be in. I'd suggest something roomy and easy to get in and out of. Other than that, you'll do just fine.

Good luck.  8)
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

packman

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »
I’m sure it’s doable
My first resurfacing - I stayed in a hotel the night before my morning surgery - then two further nights in Columbia followed by 1.5-2 hr drive to Charlotte followed by airport clearances and plane ride to Toronto and limo drive home - total time about 4-5 hours
My advice - front seat the larger the vehicle for clearance the better - suv sequoia Tahoe Hyundai sante fe expedition etc Avoid sitting at right angles recline!!
Your leg will feel like a complete log - lifting it is incredibly painful as the muscles are completely torn so getting in and out of a low level car is tough
Consider staying the extra night - you could have an adverse reaction first day to pain meds dizziness nausea - my 2nd hip op I had some dizziness such that crutching the next morning did not feel good. The extra day gives you a lot more strength and clarity
If you can take ice or even a machine (don’t know if they have one that can run off a socket in the car go for it subject to room)
Try to move around a bit-  car ride should be better than plane due to reclining
I had a lot of swelling when I got home my first time likely caused by unavoidable wheel chair thru airport security and border customs
My second one has been a breeze by comparison
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Granton

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »

I would not recommend.

After both surgeries I left the hospital four days after surgery and had a journey of four to five hours. The surgery had gone really well in both cases.

I was told to stop and exercise it for a few minutes every hour on the way back. I felt pretty shaky by the end and on the second occasion I experienced really painful cramp.

The next day? Sounds brutal to me.

David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 05:10:11 AM »
I agree with Granton, an extra day could make a world of difference.

I drove from Birmingham to London, about 2 hours, and that was 5 days after op and we stopped once to stretch legs and I still found it an unpleasant experience.

Also make sure you get some instruction on how to get in and out of the car. I didn't get this and it was bloody painful first time. Technique wise you need to think lady in a tight, short skirt  :D

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
I had mine done by Dr. Gross, and drove home the next day (though it was only 3 hours or so). 

Take....the....pain....medication....on....time.  Do NOT be a hero. 

You'll probably have one pill you take every 12 hours, and a different pill you take every 4 hours.  Take them ON SCHEDULE.  If you wait until it starts to hurt, you're in big trouble.  And, no, I'm not a huge pill advocate, and I was done with pain medication except Advil after 7 days.  But, those first 4-5 days are rough, and there's no need to be in pain. 

Also, definitely get out and walk every 2 hours or so.  You are at risk of blood clots, so you'll need to move.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Joe_CA

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »
Hi Tommy,

I would also recommend staying one extra day in the hospital. But what you're planning on doing has been done. What I'm concerned about is the chance you'll experience what several of us encountered with our procedures - the dreaded "spinal headache". If you get a spinal tap (as opposed to general anesthesia) there is a chance you could get these headaches, and they aren't fun. The chances are you probably won't, and I believe if you do get them they don't present themselves until several days after your operation.

To be safe, the only thing I would recommend is riding in a vehicle which allows you to fully lay down, whether that be in a car with large backseat area, or a front seat which reclines fully. The ability to lay down flat alleviates most of the symptoms of the spinal headaches. I had a 2-hour car ride and a 5 hour flight 4 days after my bilateral surgeries. I couldn't lay down, and I had a semi-rough time of it (others had worse).

Good luck.
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

tommyhip

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 09:34:23 AM »
Thanks for all the input on the LONG RIDE HOME question. Just a quick note to say that I DID IT - 15 hour ride in the car with three five minute stops. If I had to do it again I would likely stay another night. But there is no substitute for being in your own home and your own bed. I didn't realize what the meds were doing for me until I tried to stop them all together on day three. Big mistake. Had to go thru day five and then all was bearable. Thanks again.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear