+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: NEW IMPLANT !!!  (Read 6984 times)

tommyhip

NEW IMPLANT !!!
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
Does anyone have an insight into the new H-1 ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing implant that is currently in trial in England by Professor Cobb (MSK Lab)?  It sounds interesting as there is no cobalt/chromium bearing surface, but of course ceramics have their own issues such as squeaking and being brittle. Also note that the implant does not use any cement on the femoral side.  Thanks.

petemeads

Re: NEW IMPLANT !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:41:28 PM »
Hi tommyhip, we have a recent member called fastboy64 who has received one of the first to be fitted by Professor Cobb, check out his posts. Also, I think Professor Cobb has become a user on this site recently so he might pick up your query personally. It sounds good to me, I'm just sorry to have missed out (ceramic THR fitted in May). New ceramic is not so brittle...
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:32:49 AM »
The New H1 Ceramic Implant is only being used in trials with UK patients.  The trails will go on for a long time before it will be approved for use else where.  So it is not something that will be available any time soon.  I hope the trials go well because we need more devices that allow women to have hip resurfacings.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Hippyu

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 08:30:40 AM »
The New H1 Ceramic Implant is only being used in trials with UK patients.  The trails will go on for a long time before it will be approved for use else where.  So it is not something that will be available any time soon.  I hope the trials go well because we need more devices that allow women to have hip resurfacings.

Pat

Has anyone got a update on this? COC seems promising,

LDub

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 11:33:51 PM »
Hi Hippyu

I am currently making plans to travel to Belgium for a CoC resurfacing with Dr. De Smet who is using the ReCerf CoC prosthetic. (As soon as this whole pandemic thing blows over ;). The ReCerf, like the H1, is in trials. However they are different prosthetics. At present Dr. De Smet  has done 70+ resurfacing with it. See his ad on the right hand margin of this site for his contact info.

I've covered this in earlier posts on this site, (https://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=6771.msg61458#msg61458) but after a pretty exhaustive look through the literature I have decided I'd go CoC. If you'd like some paper references I'd be happy to send them to you. Or search pubmed or scihub.

That said, there is nothing wrong with MoM with a good surgeon. My wife is a bilateral and has MoM on both sides. She has been very active since her surgeries (now 12+ years) and has no issues whatsoever.

I also know of a hippy member who had bilateral ReCerf CoC resurfacing with Dr. De Smet last January. Their handle eludes me at the moment but they were pleased with the outcome the last time we communicated. I'm using gender neutral language to protect their privacy :). I can put you in touch with them if you (and they) wish.

I'm not sure where you are located, but the other options for Resurf ceramic on ceramic hip resurfacing you might consider are Paul Beaule (Ottawa) and Bill Walter (Australia). They are part of the same trial I believe. The trial has been underway since 2018.

I you are interested in CoC resurfacing I suggest you start by contacting Dr. DeSmet and see if you qualify. He is very responsive to emails.

Cheers,
LDub
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:45:45 PM by LDub »
24/09/2021  RBHR (ReCerf CoC) Koen De Smet Age 60

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat