+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Has anyone gone to surgery for a resurfacing and come our of surgery with a THR?  (Read 2549 times)

claudia

As I stated in a previous post, I was planned for surgery with Dr. Gross 3 years ago but a blood clot caused my surgery cancellation and I just procrastinated in pain for 3 years. So I am once again starting from the beginning to find our if I am still a candidate.  My concern is that the joint has gotten significantly worse in the 3 years to the point where I just simply can't hardly walk and I have a significant limp.  I'm worried if Dr. Gross get's in there during surgery and decides a resurface is not the way to go, I may end up with a THR.  SO has this happened to anyone?  Are there thr devices that are for active adults?  Short stem?
Thanks! 
[size=78%] [/size]
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

petemeads

Hi Claudia, have a look over at hiprunner.com and read my posts here and there - yes, modern THR devices can cope with activities like running, climbing and skiing. Hiprunner has over 900 members at the moment...
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Saf57

I can't answer the question directly, since that didn't happen in either of my surgeries, one with Dr. Gross. But it certainly has happened(infrequently), so there may be others who can chime in. In any event, the fact that you can hardly walk, and are limping, would not in and of itself suggest that you are a poor candidate, since many of us were in this state prior to surgery. Moreover, a great, experienced surgeon like Dr. Gross, will be in a position to tell you prior to surgery whether he feels you are a good candidate to be resurfaced, primarily by examining the x rays. While there may be a few cases, even with the top surgeons, where, intra-surgery, they had to go to a THR, I believe those instances are extremely rare in cases where the surgeon expressed pre surgery confidence that the patient was a good candidate for resurfacing.

Mike D

Hi  Claudia,
It happened to me but I was told from Mr Treacy that I was 70/30 against being able to have  HR.
I had a slipped femoral epiphysis aged 14 leading to my hip being pinned for a year and my femoral head was out of alignment.
I went to Ronan Treacy because I knew he would give me a HR if it was a possibility so when I woke up with a THR , I knew I had the right surgery for me- if he couldn't give me a resurfacing, nobody could.
It took a while to finally accept it and I got great help and advice on here. It was a great comfort logging in and reading about other people in similar situations.
Dr Gross, as you know, is one of the great hip surgeons and he'll do what is right for you- hopefully HR.
Don't dread a THR, it's a great option for anyone who isn't a HR candidate.
I've been pain free and have reclaimed my life after my THR.
It may not have been what I really wanted but knowing there was no other option has made is easy to accept and I'm completely happy with how it all worked out.
Good luck and I look forward to reading your story,
Mike.

Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

claudia

Thank you for everyone's response! 

Joe_CA

Hi Claudia,

I too was very concerned about this when I was going through the process of researching hip-resurfacing and finding a surgeon. I lived with crappy hips for many years longer than I had to because I feared the end-result of getting a THR and the associated restrictions (i.e. no fun sports anymore due to the chances of dislocation etc.).

The possibility of waking up from surgery with a THR frightened me to death. When Dr. Gross called me initially, this question was the very first one I asked him. "I understand some surgeons have to resort to performing a standard hip replacement due to complications. What are the chances I will wake up with a THR?". His answer was pretty funny. "Those guys are amateurs." :-). I believe he followed that up with the fact that he never had to change to a THR (or if he did it was extremely rare).

The best thing you can do is if you still plan on using Dr. Gross (which is a great choice) get an updated set of x-rays and send them to him. You can then talk with him about your concerns. It's likely that you will still be a hip resurfacing candidate.

Good luck.

Joe

Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

claudia

OK, then.  Thanks Joe. Just got off the phone with Dr. Gross and spoke with him prior to reading your post here.  I asked the same thing and he did indeed say it was rare.  This is the third attempt for me to get this done - the first, I got a blood clot prior to when my surgery was scheduled, the second I just plain chickened out so now that I seriously can barely walk, I really have to do something.  I'm pleased that now United Healthcare allows for this to be done on an outpatient basis.  3 years ago, they said no.
Nancy will call tomorrow and it looks like he is booked until March.  That's hard for to deal with.  Once I decide to do something, if I don't do it right away, I'll chicken out like I did 3 years ago.  The longer I have to "think" about it, the more anxiety I will have.  I'll be a basket case by March.  Fortuantely I'm flexible with my schedule so I am hoping maybe I can get on a cancellation list if someone postpones earlier.  So here we go again... 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Good Luck Claudia.

Stay the course.  If you wait too long you could lose the window of opportunity for a hip resurfacing.  Also why live in pain?

There are also many active people with THRs.  The goal is to get out of pain and back to an active life. Stop worrying and starting looking forward to a great spring without pain!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

claudia

Thanks Pat. You're right as I am probably at the max age to have it done so  no turning back....

packman

Hi Claudia
Dr Gross and his team are worth the wait - you will find many references on this site that will provide a glowing testimonial
Book it - if Dr Gross is approving you as a candidate then you will have a few weeks of minor discomfort followed by the relief of rebuilding strength and confidence
Many of us had the same pre-op anxiety as you. Afterwards you will think you were so silly in waiting
I don't second guess the decision whatsoever
After 6 months to a year I didn't even think about having an implant in me and it felt incredibly natural (other than lighting up airport security like a Xmas tree)
I'm having an excellent recovery at 9 weeks on my second (the other hip)
Best wishes
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Quig

Hey Claudia,

I'll chime in and cheer you on too. It sounds like you're way overdue and you're going to be sooooooooo pleased to get the surgery done. You'll be so happy with Dr. Gross and the team he has put together and will absolutely wonder why you waited so long. Stay the course, get it DONE!

Best of luck!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

blinky

You have waited long enough, Claudia. Time to get this done.

Can you train for the next four months? Drop any extra weight, work on strengthening your upper body? If you can barely walk, you won't be running, but you can do some specific strengthening exercises I bet. Divert your attention by learning something new that isn't physical, like a language or by joining a book club?

Joe_CA

Claudia,

It's understandable that to be worried about this surgery. But please continue to read the stories here. Just what the others are saying, you'll likely end up thinking to yourself: "What was I so worried about? I feel so much better now, why did I wait so long?"

Even in the rare circumstances where you have some complications, most are able to eventually fully recover and are pleased with their results - especially when you choose an experienced surgeon. You will be using one of the best resurfacing surgeons in the world, and one who publishes fantastic results.

Hopefully you can get an appointment earlier than March, but that time will fly by regardless. I had to wait 7 months for my bilateral surgery with Dr. Gross last year. I was so impatient I could barely stand it. Then, as the final month approached, my insurance balked. I seriously thought I was going to have to wait another 6-12 months, lol! Even then I was still keeping a positive attitude, because I knew I would eventually have a solution to my pain and hobbling, and one where I could keep playing sports. (My story turned out great, I was able to keep my initial appointment with Dr. Gross).

I'm confident you're going to be so happy with your decision, so as hard as it is, please don't second-guess yourself.

Keep us updated and post here when you're in need of answers, or are doubting your decision.

-Joe
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat