+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Resurfacing with Dr. Cook in KS  (Read 2465 times)

ahershberger

Resurfacing with Dr. Cook in KS
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:04:41 PM »
I am home today from getting a right BHR in the Kansas City Orthopedic Institute inpatient center on Monday.  It went really well; Dr. Scott Cook said that after he got in there, there were more bone spurs than what the xray showed.  He used the second to the smallest BHR and my incision is about 6 inches; I have the smallest incision he's done and my number is somewhere in the 170s for him. I had a little trouble with pain (getting it in control) and had to get a few morphine shots in addition to what was being put in my iv.  But by day 3, I was off the iv and went to pills. I used a walker the first day but have been on crutches since.  My nurse and therapist will start coming to the house tomorrow. Overall, I feel pretty good except for the excessive itching.  I am now looking forward to the left one getting resurfaced in December. My stats: 5'4", 103 lbs., OA in both hips with severe pain in last 6-8 months from working out (but not an avid runner although I get asked that all of the time!) and just being physically active.
THANKS TO PAT FOR HER ENCOURAGEMENT AND FOR THIS WEBSITE THAT HELPED TO CONFIRM MY DECISION.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:49:09 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: I am now in the Hippie Club! One down, one to go...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:05:31 PM »
Congratulations on being an offical Surface Hippy!

I had a lot of itching in my incision.  In fact, over 2 years post op, I still have some itching.  I guess I always thought itching meant healing, so I thought it was good.

After a few weeks, you can rub some vitamin E oil on your incision.  You just don't want to do it right away. It is always best to ask your doctor when you can do that.

I hope you continue to do well.  Keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »
Ahershberger,

The itching might also be a side effect for the morphine. I about tore my skin off. it will wear off in a few days then the insomina will kick in..lol..It'all worth it!
Good Luck recovering!
Lisa
uncemented/biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 10:01:14 PM »
Congrats on your first BHR!  Be patient during your recovery and do what your doctor, nurses and physical therapist say and things will be great.  Did I say be patient?  Oh yeah, I did.  There will be times when it seems like you're not making the progress you think you should be.  Then you'll have a day when you feel like you've gotten over a hurdle and made tremendous progress.  There are a bunch of us here to cheer you on.  Let us know how you progress.  Best wishes!  BTW, I'll be playing my second round of golf on two new hips tomorrow.

Jim
Engh/LBHR 12/07, RBHR 4/08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat