+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Outpatient vs inpatient  (Read 1910 times)

claudia

Outpatient vs inpatient
« on: November 30, 2017, 08:06:33 PM »
Wow, things have sure changed in 3 years! Back when my original surgery was scheduled United said no way to outpatient surgery and I have factor V leiden so insurance somehow thought staying in hospital was good if you hypercoagulate. Now, Dr Gross says no problem with outpatient surgery
Just curious how it all goes down on the day of surgery and days afterward? We live about 5 hours away.
Im not a spring chick any more! Just afraid I wonT  ounce back very quick.
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

blinky

Re: Outpatient vs inpatient
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
I did NOT have out patient, but a good friend did. She said the biggest surprise for her and her husband, who came to be her sherpa, was how tired and helpless she was that first day or two. Her leg was like a dead log, not like part of her body. She is pretty independent and didn't expect to need much help that first day, but she needed help getting herself centered to get up on her feet. So go in prepared for that log legged feeling.

She quickly felt better. She flew to Japan not too long after, maybe four months later.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »
It wasn't available for me 7 years ago, but when I get my next one done, I'll do outpatient (mostly because I know what to expect).

I agree the first few days are pretty rough.  I found the hardest thing to do was get in bed, as you cannot raise the operated leg at all.  At first I had my wife lift the leg and swing it into the bed as I swiveled.  Later, I figured out how to put my good leg under the operated leg, and use it to lift the leg into bed.

You will need help for the first several days for sure.  Two weeks out you'll be in good shape.  Still limited, but much more independent.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Glenn Urban

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:55:13 PM »
Hi Claudia-

I had both my hips done last year, both as an outpatient.  Early morning surgery, out by late afternoon.  As it was explained to me, the longer you are in a hospital, the better chance of infection. Sounded good to me to do outpatient. I did it without family, as I flew to Seattle to see Dr. Pritchett, and my wife was unable to attend, and didn't need to, as I found a gal from Craigslist who takes care of older people and others who need assistance in their home...my wife figured this was as good as her being there, and due to family matters at home, she conceded that this was the best option for me.  The home care gal picked me up after surgery, and that was the first time we had met. She had to be there while they showed me the ropes on using the crutches to get in and out of a car, a shower stall, using a fake commode...she was a trooper...and she was on the clock, so she didn't mind.  When I was prepped the first time for surgery, and the nurse heard my plan, she told me "No way"..then she went yelling for Dr. Pritchett, and I could hear the conversation- "Did you say it was alright for him to have a complete stranger pick him up after surgery and take him to his hotel room?", and Doc said, "Yep"...case closed.

Both surgeries were fairly straightforward. The agreement was I had to stay in a nearby hotel for 3 nights and the Doc would come visit if I had any complications. I am reading some stories here now where people are going home after one night at a nearby hotel, etc.

Much better to be away from the hospital imo. I would do it all over again if I had to. Outpatient worked very well for me. Very happy I do not have a 3rd hip however, no matter how great it all went down. :)

claudia

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:32:19 PM »
Wow, good to know in just a few years things have changed regarding hip resurfacing.  I'm staying in a hotel (Marriott) after the surgery and a few days after that before husband drives me home.  Thanks everyone.
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal