+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: After surgery management if alone  (Read 1316 times)

claudia

After surgery management if alone
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »
I just have a few questions.
How long before one can drive after the surgery?
Does anyone know if insurance provides resources, like a home health nurse after surgery?
Unfortunately, It appears I am having to go through this alone.   No children and friends all working, unable to travel with me, etc.  Still not sure how I will handle this but have to figure it out.
It is a 4 1/2 hour drive to SC from where I live.  I think I will literally have to pay someone to travel with me and then drive back.  Any suggestions for resources I might tap?
Thanks

Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

Glenn Urban

Re: After surgery management if alone
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »
Hi Claudia-

I too had to go far away, and on my own, for hip resurfacing.  I ended up getting someone off of craigslist, who was a home caregiver, and hired her for X amount of hours per day.  I had both hips done, so the second time around, I had a little more information and did it a little different.

First off, I was outpatient both times, but part of the agreement with the doctor is that I stay in a hotel nearby for three days in case of complications.  You may be looking at an overnight stay, I do not know. Either way, you need someone who will pick you up and take you to a hotel if you are outpatient, and if you are thinking of going home in your own car, that will not work, as you could be on pain meds for at least a week. Not knowing enough about your situation, assuming that you get home, you can make it without anyone helping, but you should have someone on call in case of a problem.  If you have more specific questions, please ask away.  Meals were not an issue for me in my hotel for a few days...I stocked up the fridge with items that I though would be useful, like items that help you get the good bugs back in your stomach as the anti-biotics kill off everything in the digestive system...the good bacteria...then a bunch of other items I normally like...if you are like me, your appetite will be "off" as the pain meds kind of mess with your appetite..at least they did with mine.  Be ready with crutches and for some people, a walker.  The first time around I learned a lot, and the second time around I did not use my caregiver except for the ride from the hospital, and then three days later, for a ride from the hotel to the airport.  My wife picked me up at the airport.  If it is your left hip and your recover like I did, you can be driving in a week.Depends on how you do with pain meds and if you taper off before driving. My right hip, I thought it would be at least three weeks...it was about ten days I think. You need a pillow to sit on no matter who you are, to avoid the 90 degree thing while sitting in the car.

Hope you do well. I would find someone nearby on Craigslist who helps the elderly, etc in their homes...if you really need someone there every day at your house, you can have them come in for two hours in the morning, and two hours at night to help you with meals, etc. I would not hire someone to come with you but I don't know the exact situation. You could uber there and back and save the cost of someone's salary, but that uber ride would be pricey.

Maybe rent a car for a day and pay the drop off charge for the drive to the surgery site, then uber home.  I think the car rental will be cheaper than an uber ride but you can figure that out pretty quick of course.

Hope any of this helps.  Good luck with your surgery!

catfriend

Re: After surgery management if alone
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:48:48 PM »
PM sent

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat