+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cracked Tooth - 3 months post op  (Read 1791 times)

aedny

Cracked Tooth - 3 months post op
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:41:37 PM »
OK..all was going so well!  Cracked a tooth today, just hours after my 3 month post op follow up visit, where the only restriction mentioned was "no dental work for 6 months."  So now what??  Anyone have the experience?  Did your doc release you for the dental work?  It isn't hurting yet, but it's twinge-ing.  Any suggestions/anecdotes are welcome!

Anne

Vicky

Re: Cracked Tooth - 3 months post op
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:49:29 PM »
I am sure in emergency situations like this you have to see your dentist.  Take antibiotics prior, usually if you call your dentist to make an appointment, tell them you just had your hip replaced/resurfaced and that you need to make an appointment AND you need them to phone in a prescription for you for antibiotics.  You are to take them an hour prior to seeing the dentist.  I just had an appointment Monday and took antibiotics prior to going.  I keep a bottle in my fridge and will take them again for my deep cleaning scheduled for next Monday and again next Friday.  If it would make you feel better, call your ortho's office and tell them about your tooth.

Vicky

aedny

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
Thanks, Vicky.  How far out from your surgery are you?

Anne

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »
I am 2 years and 8 months out.  But the last thing you want to happen is for that tooth to get infected, so if I were you, I would definitely make an appointment with your dentist and make sure you take antibiotics prior to going in.

Vicky

aedny

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 03:26:18 PM »
Well, good news has surfaced (no pun intended).  Hip doc's office called and they said I'm good to go as long as I do the antibiotics first.  Phew...that's a load off!  Thanks for the quick response, Vicky!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »
Hi Anne

Good luck with the cracked tooth.  I don't think there is any way to live with a cracked tooth very easily.  I have had that happen to me.

I am glad the doctor put your mind at ease.  You will probably end up with a crown.  That doesn't do much to the tooth other than reshaping it. I am guessing if it were pulled, it would be more of a problem and a lot more blood involved that could release bacteria into the blood stream.

We will all keep you in our thoughts and wish you the best of luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat