+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: POST OP BONE DENSITY CARE HELP!  (Read 1171 times)

tommyhip

POST OP BONE DENSITY CARE HELP!
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:43:06 AM »
Can anyone let me know what can be done post-op to improve or support bone density in ALL areas of the body including, of course the operative hip.. Is there a good "over the counter" calcium supplement which works AND is it important that the calcium be supplemented with any appropriate amount of Vitamin D or D3. My OS recommends 1500 mg calcium and 1,000 to 2,000 mg Vitamin D daily.  LASTLY, I guess that weight bearing exercises such as squats will also help bone density but I assume must only be done at some distant point post-op such as 6 months or more out. Thanks in advance for your help. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:29:20 AM by tommyhip »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: POST OP BONE DENSITY CARE HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
My surgeon, Dr. De Smet, tells people to walk, walk and walk.  Weight bearing activities like walking help improve bone density. 

Good Luck. Don't do anything like squats too soon.  Make sure you ask your surgeon when you can start activities like that. No point pushing too soon and causing problems.  You will have plenty of time to use the new hip.  Your body heals at it's own rate.  You can't push it because you get impatient. 

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karlos.bell

Re: POST OP BONE DENSITY CARE HELP!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:00:30 PM »
 8) Books by Loren Cordain (US Scientist) will help you for the rest of your life. :)
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat