+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Revision to THR, what is best THR device for active people?  (Read 2227 times)

johnd_emd

Revision to THR, what is best THR device for active people?
« on: January 11, 2018, 11:50:02 AM »
I have to get a revision from my BHR to a total hip, due to elevated metal in blood stream.  Wonder what THR device would best suit me and my active life style?  Any advice out there?  I retired from racing the bike at an elite/pro level at 54 and now just shoot competitively and am Nationally ranked.  I also teach Phy. Ed. and stay active with my classes, walking 20-30 miles a week, plus lift weights now to keep some level of fitness.  So, would like to find a device that hopefully will be stable enough to stay active, and will give me decent long term wear.
Dr. Rector
Feb. 1
Rt Hip Resurfacing
Birmingham

petemeads

Re: Revision to THR, what is best THR device for active people?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »
Hi. I have a BHR which is still OK at 3 years and a Zimmer ceramic/ceramic THR which is coming up to 9 months old. This was fitted when my femoral head broke off during my second BHR attempt. I was jogging again at 6 weeks and have run 20+ 5km races since, biked up to 70 miles, bouldered up to V3/4 and walked in the hills up to 18 miles at a time. Fairly active.
I think double ceramic will never wear out, and the fragility of ceramic has been addressed in the latest materials, but most active people seem to be getting ceramic/cross-linked polythene hips and happily running on them too. Have a look at the Hiprunner website and maybe ask the same question. My surgeon is happy for me to continue with all the things my BHR allows me to do, maybe find a similar helpful surgeon....

Good Luck!
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Mcopt

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:35:05 AM »

Hi general opinion seems to be ceramic on ceramic, the other consideration is the surgical method I was going for resurfacing bur had a change of plan due to metal issues (my own thoughts I am sure for most people this won't be a problem).
I am now going ceramic on ceramic thr via SuperPath the claimed advantages of this method is a more stable prosthesis due to less soft tissue insult and no dislocation of joint during surgery, you might need to check however that this method is possible for a resurfacing revision , the initial recovery is also claimed to be quicker and easier. Good luck with your decision.

fenceman

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 01:26:21 PM »
I also had high metal levels after 9 years on a BHR.  Found out my cup was not properly place due to my pelvis being tilted.  It was not discovered at original surgery since the Dr. did not take as many different angled x-rays as they do now.  Everything looked fine from the front and the side.

At my doctors recommendation I had a new cup installed 7 weeks ago. It was a special device that could be screwed into place so it would not move.  I will have a blood test done at 6 months to see how if the metal levels are coming down.   Will keep you posted.

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat