+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Over 35 BMI Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Pritchett  (Read 3201 times)

jarden32

Over 35 BMI Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Pritchett
« on: February 02, 2018, 09:34:52 PM »
   I've been overweight all my life. At 35 years old I could no longer keep up with my young children while running. It was very hard and painful to get a full stride and it burned badly. I went to my group health Dr (Tacoma wa area) and was told I had minor arthritis and to take Ibuprofen.
   As time went on, I could no longer pick things off the ground. If I stood still for very long the burn would pretty much end my day. I travel around the world for work, walking distance and doing my lightly physical job became very difficult. Pain medication was reserved for sleeping, I pretty much was forced to plan my work around how long I could stand today.
   Group health (Obamacare) only offered total hip replacements for me by 38 years old. Resurface was not covered nor recommended, I was advised to live with it until at least 50 as my size (6' 300 pounds)  would ruin any hip replacement device used. I have an adjustable gastric band installed and after 15 years still maintained 130 pound weight loss.
By 42 I couldn't hold out any longer. I had better insurance (through my spouse's work) and the resurface was covered. I found Dr. Pritchett, after an initial X-ray his response was "which one do you want replaced first?" We discussed the likely damage to the implant due to the excess weight. I had my band tightened and got below the recommended 35% BMI and had my first resurface on January 31 2017.
   The entire experience was wonderful, my surgery was later in the day so I stayed overnight. Within 2 weeks I was doing some light tasks at work and traveled to China and Japan 6 weeks after surgery with no issues. I repair port cranes and large container forklifts.
   My 2nd hip was resurfaced on August 28th 2017. Surgery again was wonderful, (both spinal) and I went home same day. Was walking pretty well at the end of the 1st week with a cane. I started to get a sharp pain in the front of my hip. I rested for the weekend but It didn't get better. Went back to Dr. Pritchett and found out I had a stress fracture. After 3 weeks basically sitting and letting it heal everything was good. PT went fast and again back to work (this time 5 weeks after the initial resurface) I ended up in London shortly after and Iceland (In the ice). Again walking probably 15 miles literally no pain or problems.
   Still at basically 35% always working to lose more I couldn't be happier with the Dr, Hospital (Swedish Seattle) or the process. The harder I've worked, the better it feels. I can bend and work in ways I haven't been able to in over 8 years.
   I'm so thankful I was able to do it and grateful Dr. Pritchett was willing to help even though I am at the top end of industry limits. I had lost so much business and life in general that I now have back and look forward to getting back to all I've missed these years.

Glenn Urban

Re: Over 35 BMI Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Pritchett
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:48:05 PM »
Jarden....Great story of what you went through, and congratulations! Read your story to my wife, as I too had Pritchett do both hips, and she also is very happy for you. Good luck..you and I are on similar paths...I had Pritchett do my left hip in April, and my right on August 22. Good to hear how successful your recovery has been... Please keep updating us on your progress.

Glenn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:05:28 AM »
Jarden

Congratulations on your hip resurfacings and the wonderful determination you had to change your life.

I wish you the very best.  Thank You for sharing your story.  I know many people will read it and find inspiration from it.

Looking forward to reading about your progress

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
That is such a great story!I wish you the best of luck going forward.

Your account of a femoral neck fracture that healed is both inspiring and cautionary. It is so true that we feel good early on and can take on too much and hurt ourselves. When I was first investigating HR, I ran it by my MD brother and his response was "risk of femoral neck fracture; have the THR". He is a pathologist not an orthopedist, so I took his criticism as a starting point, not an ending point.

jarden32

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 09:20:40 PM »
Just over 5 years, no issues. Still struggle with weight but both implants have been perfect, I couldn't be happier.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat