+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing - BHR Past, Present and Future by Dr. Su 2017  (Read 3213 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Hip Resurfacing - BHR Past, Present and Future by Dr. Su 2017
« on: February 10, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »

Excellent video for people wondering if Hip Resurfacing is still a great option.  Dr. Su presents 20 years of BHR results and hip resurfacing stories.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karlos.bell

Re: Hip Resurfacing - BHR Past, Present and Future by Dr. Su 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:19:01 AM »
 :) Pat good Article but it is not 100% correct or more to say if Dr DeSmet was to present his evidence it would be different.

The US market may indicate what Dr Su is presenting but in some BHR cases studies DR DeSmet explained that the BHR actetabular component for small women on fitting caused fractures  where as the Conserve plus did not.

Conserve plus withdrawn from the US due to due to legal implications.
Many a Re Surfacer on here has a different device that is still going probably very strong.

A good sales pitch. BHR is not the only device.

Keep up the information please. ???
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:20:39 AM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Maureen

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:27 AM »
Thanks for posting - it is an excellent overview of the topic and current state.   However, it is NOT true that there is "only ONE" component and it is a disservice to make that blanket statement when that excludes most women.   I cringed when he showed the slide of the woman who had one hip resurfaced and said that she unfortunately was no longer a candidate for the other hip due to her size and her dysplasia (which is exactly my story). 
I wish that he had acknowledged that she COULD still be a candidate if she goes to Dr Gross who uses Biomet Uncemented with smaller sizes still available and has great success with woman with dysplasia.   And I think Dr Pritchett is another doc who uses a different component and offers the smaller sizes.  So I guess I wish that it had been mentioned that it IS still an option for me and others  :D
Maureen
Right HR - 3/12/18
Dr Gross
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:26:30 AM by Maureen »

Saf57

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:22:46 AM »
Well said, Maureen. I myself have a Corin device in one hip(with a BHR in the other) that I've had for 15+ yeas, which was installed by Dr. Gross. His published results with this device were outstanding. We have to remember that these surgeons, for better or worse, have relationships with the device manufacturers.

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »
It's as if Dr. Su were a spokesman for S & N. Truly disappointing the way he is so down on women for resurfacing, which is no doubt due to his fondness for the BHR. There ARE others for us women, including those of us with dysplasia. Also, Mr McMinn, whom he mentions repeatedly, is working on a non MOM device for women.

blinky

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:54:52 PM »
Does this mean he isn't resurfacing women anymore? I thought he still was.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:28:39 AM »
Dr. Su's last written statement to me was- yes he is doing hip resurfacing for women.  That statement, however, was just after Smith & Nephew withdrew the small BHR sizes.

http://surfacehippy.info/dr-su-responds-to-hip-resurfacing-for-women-small-men/

We have come full circle since 2005 when I needed a hip resurfacing.  Then there were only a handful of surgeons in the US doing hip resurfacing. So many people went overseas for their hip resurfacing.  It has now returned to that situation.  Dr. Gross and Dr. Pritchett still do hip resurfacing for women because they do not use the BHR.  Other than that, there is no choice for women and small men.  Women and small men have excellent outcomes when the very experienced surgeons are doing their hip resurfacings.  The less experienced surgeons did not have as successful outcomes and that resulted in many no longer doing hip resurfacing.  Also many women and small men had poor outcomes with the less experienced surgeons.  A very sad situation. 

Several new ceramic hip resurfacing devices are being developed overseas.  Hopefully, they will be successful and women and small men will have more choice in choosing a hip resurfacing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Maureen

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
Does this mean he isn't resurfacing women anymore? I thought he still was.

HI Blinky,
Unless a woman is large enough to use a bigger size BHR - he won't be able to do resurfacing on her... Not sure what the smallest size is that S & N still allows but think it might be 48?    I was a 42  :o
So I guess unless new components and/or doctors come on the market - Pritchett and Gross are the only US options for most women and smaller men...
I'm ok with Su continuing to use his favorite device - just wish he would have mentioned that there ARE other options for those of us who don't qualify for the BHR...
Warmly,
Maureen
Dr Gross right HR 3/12/18
PS walking without a cane today :-D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:37:33 PM by Maureen »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz