+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What equipment will I need to have at home after surgery?  (Read 1302 times)

claudia

What equipment will I need to have at home after surgery?
« on: February 10, 2018, 05:46:10 PM »
Well the time is getting closer for my surgery with Dr Gross on March 21. Got pre-surgical testing done last week, having some tooth issues taken care of, have the pet sitter lined up, visited the hematologist for meds post surgery, Dr gross's office is now prepping by getting insurance approvals and now I'm getting close to the finish line.  Just need to know, what items will I need to get for home.  Do I need one of those awful toilet risers?  what type to get.  What else do I need?  Crutches? Do I get them there?   
For those who used Dr Gross and stayed at the Marriott, how did you manage getting up and down the commode?  Getting excited and scared.  Thinking too much about what if something happens to me in surgery?  Is that normal?
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

John C

Re: What equipment will I need to have at home after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 07:18:28 PM »
Nancy at Dr Gross's office can guide you through any of these questions, and is great about it.
From my own experience and that of many others; yes you will need a toilet seat riser. You will definitely need crutches, and they will have them for you to purchase if you do not already have your own. My memory of the Marriott is that the toilets in their handicapped accessible rooms are slightly raised, at least I do not remember it being a problem. And yes, worrying about everything prior to surgery is very normal. I think it would be very abnormal not to. I had my first hip done by Dr Gross 10 years ago, and I am going back to have the second one done in April. I am not as worried as the first time because I know to some extent what to expect, but there is still nervousness about how it will go this time. I can say that once you are there and they start taking such good care of you, the nervousness starts to go away.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

fenceman

Re: What equipment will I need to have at home after surgery?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 02:32:03 PM »
I think the best piece of equipment is a good recliner.  I spent a lot of time in mine including sleeping when the bed became uncomfortable part way through the night.  Reusable ice packs, crutches (should give you at hospital), an extended shoe horn to help with slip on shoes, Tylenol PM to help during the night, leg lifting strap (also should give you at hospital), good water container with straw built in, plus any thing to make you more comfortable like small pillows and blankets.   I never used a raised toilet nor did my Dr. recommend one.
Bill

L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM