+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How hard is mountainbiking on our hips?  (Read 2752 times)

horse doc

How hard is mountainbiking on our hips?
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:51:30 AM »
I'm thinking of doing some offroad biking.  I'm an offroad motorcyclist and I'm making trails on my farm for that and the horses. My trails are almost too tight for my motorcycle so I dusted off a 25 year old mountain bike and had some fun.

I wouldn't mind getting in better shape by cycling but not at the expense of my hips.  I don't need another hobby especially if its known to wear out hips faster than necessary.   

Quig

Re: How hard is mountainbiking on our hips?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:09:30 AM »
Hey horse doc!

I'm nearing 2 years out from Bilateral resurfacing and ride quite a lot. I used to just mountain bike but after my surgeries I bought a road bike and have started to ride it quite a bit. In the summer I do 40+ mile rides twice a week before work and typically ride the mountain bike(s) on the weekend. I also rode a lot before my surgeries. I specifically asked Dr. Gross if I should back off or if cycling was acceptable post surgery. He told me cycling is generally quite easy on the hips and to not worry about it. He told me to take it slow in the beginning but once I was recovered, to have all the fun I could handle. And I have.

Though I road bike quite a bit due to convenience, mountain biking is definitely my favorite. I've been totally hooked for years. It's a ton of fun and fantastic exercise but beware, once the bug bites you the bike and gear purchases can get a little crazy. Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:27:18 AM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Joe_CA

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 02:28:15 PM »
Go for it Horse Doc!

Of all the activities you can do post-surgery, biking is one of the least impactful on your hips (IMHO) compared to more forceful activities like running long-distance, basketball, martial arts etc.. I was mountain biking somewhat regularly before my surgeries, and it was one of the first things I did after surgery (I used to take easy rides on the trails 3,4 months after my bilateral surgeries without pain or trouble). The only thing you should worry about are the rare hard falls that can occur (so I continue to be cautious going fast downhill).

Have fun, mountain biking is a great way to stay in shape. You may want to upgrade your bike if you don't have front (or full) suspension to have even more fun and reduce the jarring from bumps on the trails.

-Joe
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

horse doc

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 07:49:24 PM »
Good to hear your experiences.  I recognized right away that a better bike would be required so I wanted to ask before I exposed myself further.  $$

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »
Enjoy your time riding in the mountains and don’t worry about your new hip. I have two new hips and have had no issues whatsoever riding in the mountains of Colorado. The first time I took a bad fall I was pretty shaken and raced home just in case I needed medical attention. Pretty silly. Since then I have taken many bad falls and have had no issues at all with my new hips. I should probably cut down on the falls though.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Gino_Tortellini

• "Keep your tire spinnin!" - Me
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
My positive experience Mountain Biking is that all the muscles around the hip area have improved in strength and size, thus providing more protection around the hip area. I do still have some concerns, falling and fracturing the Greater Trochanter area and the fact that cycling does not provide enough impact to promote bone density.
To mitigate the falling part I first started out wearing the POC VPD Hip Pads. Now that I'm a seasoned rider/racer I am full lycra with no padding. I fall less now and have accepted the risk (same as normal hip).
I've learned that cycling does not provide the impact that walking/jogging provides to promote bone density. Bottom line you gotta get those steps in to keep the bone strength and this is hard for me when I'm so engulfed in the cycling habit. Must walk dog more.
Pedal Hard!
Dr. Gross / Biomet Recap Uncemented / Bi Lat / Dec 3 & 5, 2012 / @48 1/2 yrs due Cam FAI

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat