+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Does any of this sound worrying?  (Read 3165 times)

Shotohips

Does any of this sound worrying?
« on: February 26, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »
Hi All,

I had surgery with Dr. De Smet 8 months ago on my left side and 2 months ago on my right side. I am a 36 year old American who lives in Chamonix, FR. My left hip operation went really well. Other then a whole lot of clunking and popping, I progressed really fast. I was able to rock climb 2 months out, paraglide 3 months out, and ski in the backcountry 5 months out.

2 months ago, I decide to operate on my right side because it was nagging. It was nowhere near as bad as my left, but speaking to my family and Dr. De Smet, we decide to go for it just so I can have this whole next year without interruptions and I would be able to enjoy the entire paragliding season. However, since surgery on my right side I have had the following:

Skin sensitivity where any light scratching or irritation of the skin will make it react for 10 minutes and then it will die down. I am taking cetirizine (zyrtec) daily and the symptoms are very manageable. Dr. Dr Smet is adamant it is not the prosthetic. Has anyone had experience with something like this? I should also note, 1 week before  hip surgery, I had another general to remove a kidney stone and I was very stressed. I have read stress can do funny things.

The second thing, the most concerning, is my left hip. Ever since surgery on my right side, it hasn't been well. There has been constant dull achy pain and the popping/clunking sensations have increased to where when I move in bed I feel a pop or clunk. Before surgery on my right side, I had no pain in my left hip. It wasn't 100 percent obviously because it was only 6 months out, but I had forgotten about it since my 5 month mark. 3 days ago, doing a single leg squat on my left hip, I heard a very loud grinding/squeaking noise for the first time. I can not say it caused more pain because the hip has been constantly nagging for the last couple of months. Since the loud noise, I feel slight grinding sensation with every step I take. It almost feels squishy, however doesn't hurt any more then before.

Couple of notes on my left hip: Pain is usually on the outside near the tronchar right below the incision. Also, there is noticeable muscle mass difference between my left and right. My right leg is my dominant leg and my right glute is definitely more pronounced (hence I have been working extra hard on the left side).

Sorry for this long winded message, but I am nervous. Besides these two resurfacing surgeries, I have had 2  arthroscopic surgeries in the last 2 years. I have now had 4 hip surgeries in the last 2.5 years and the thought of complications can get overwhelming at times!

I almost forgot, my right hip feels really well for 2 months and feels like it is healing faster then my left did.

Can my concerns with my left hip be from weight compensation? Is the excessive clunking and popping normal? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rahi
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:04:06 AM by Shotohips »
Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Right Conserve+, 12/12/17
Dr. De Smet

Shotohips

Re: Does any of this sound worrying?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »
Couple of updates. The grinding sensations died down for a couple of days, but happened again early this morning. Took my dog to the vet at 3AM & squatted down to pick him up & felt the grinding. After, with every heel contact, I felt the squishy/grinding-like sensation. This time there was no audible noise. No sharp pain, only discomfort 10min later when I sat in the car to drive home: front hip flexor on the left side.

I have the feeling that there is liquid in my upper left leg around the hip – slightly swollen in the front - and there is slight discoloration, like a bruise, below the L gluteus maximus.

I emailed Dr. De Smet 4 days ago and no response yet. Knowing him, he will direct 2 weeks no activities and anti-inflammatories. I will do this starting today!
Doubt after 2 failed surgeries is strong and tests patience. I have lost range of motion in left hip since surgery on right side 2 months ago. Where bending over to pick something up or a lunge wasn't a problem, now it is. It feels like it is putting pressure on the cup in the left hip. Right hip is fine for 2 months, doing really well actually!

I'll stay hydrated and take it easy. However, anyone else have similar experiences? Is swelling a “normal” issue 8 months after a resurfacing on a supporting leg?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:01:56 AM by Shotohips »
Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

blinky

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
I am no doctor and think you should rely on what DeSmet says over what I say but here is my non expert advice:

Do start taking Advil, icing, and resting. If it this is just a temporary thing, a little bursitis or over use, that will help it.

I am more than two years out and I do still have some swelling on one side when I overdo it. It is subtle. I can't see it, but I can feel it. It goes away after a day of not doing whatever it was that made me swell. The point at which it occurs gets further and further out. (Just anecdotal, but I offer my running history. I ran five miles at 9-10 months out and felt it. I felt beat up, a little swollen, and it was hard to do. Then I did it again at 13 months and I was fine. I did it again at 18 months, faster and over hilly terrain, and felt fine. Now I can run that far once or twice a week and feel fine. If I run further, say 13 miles, then I experience the same weakness/swelling I did back a year ago. Those darn external rotators that were detached during surgery are getting stronger all the time, but they aren't 100% yet. I have to listen to my body, slow down, and let them catch up.)

You have been pretty active and your hips are still pretty new. I would counsel slowing things down.

Shotohips

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:05:24 PM »
Blinky, thank you. I know I am hypersensitive, but I after all the surgeries in a short amount of time, sometimes it is difficult from stopping the mind run.

I plan on doing exactly as you advise. Listen to my body and slow down.

If I did not have this sudden skin sensitivity after my most recent op, I would not be freaking out as much. I will post some pics of it next I it flares up.

In the meantime, time to be more mindful and work on relaxing.

Thank you again.

Rahi

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »
Blinky, thank you. I know I am hypersensitive, but I after all the surgeries in a short amount of time, sometimes it is difficult from stopping the mind run.

I plan on doing exactly as you advise. Listen to my body and slow down.

If I did not have this sudden skin sensitivity after my most recent op, I would not be freaking out as much. I will post some pics of it next I it flares up.

In the meantime, time to be more mindful and work on relaxing.

Thank you again.

Rahi

Hi, obviously stay on Dr. DeSmet to make sure all is fine. Clunking is usual as we go. 

One thing that happens (happened to me) is that your body needs to come to a balance. Your left side is beyond the right in progress, but now you are putting extra stress on it because of the right's sudden capability. 

Our bodies became twisted and muscles overcompensated in some instances, undercompensated or became very weak in others because the architecture of our bodies change to accommodate the painful arthritis.

Now that your basic architecture has been fixed back to normal, your muscles are still in need to get back to their previous configuration. This takes time and may cause pain as muscles which became atrophied have demands put on them again.

The main thing is to huddle with your medical staff and rule out any issues, but we are twisted by the arthritis and suddenly structurally freed, our poor bodies need time to relax and return to normalcy. Eight months is probably not enough, so be patient but eliminate any possible issues by talkig to Dr. DeSmet.

Another possible contribution is scar tissue from the surgery, which may be releasing just now. Good luck and I hope it clears up - sounds like you're progressing, be patient and it will come.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Shotohips

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »
Thank you for the nice message, Hernan. I am hoping the pain is weight compensation and the skin stuff is just stress related and will pass soon.

I'm anxious to see what Dr. De Smet says. I'll post when he does.

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

Ljpviper

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
Shotohips,

I am facing something similar. I was great for like 8 months out of hip resurfacing with Dr.Gross then hit a road block. I also, have the same squishy feeling, and I feel like I my strength went backwards. I definitely lost glute strength. I have really tight and weak hip flexors.

I also had arthroscopy on both hips as well. My right hip was the more problematic one(the one I had resurfaced). I am troubleshooting with Dr.Gross still. I feel its the psoas that just gets chronic tendonitis and does not heal. It weakens your entire hip.

Keep you posted.

Larry

blinky

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 03:03:37 PM »
Hernanu has a good point about you being crooked from having two sides with uneven strength. Your strong side isn't healed yet.

Hey, about the skin thing, have you ever had the issue before? Is there anything in your environment that has changed? New soap or detergent? Pollen in the air? Hotter or drier than normal? Your body is stressed, you might be more sensitive to these kinds of things. (And I'll offer an anecdote on that. About five months post op I broke out in hives on my arms after a day outside. Yeah, I did worry it was my hips. However, 1) it was an unseasonably hot day that came out of the blue and 2) when we first moved here, to this hot climate, I had trouble with hives. I'd get too hot and break out. That was ten years before I got new hips. I took some Benedryl and was fine, but I was careful to get used to the heat slowly after that. I seem to have acclimated now.)

MattJersey

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 03:20:40 PM »
I don't want to be alarmist, but I imagine if I were you I would be very worried. I wouldn't only wait on De Smet response, I would see m family doctor too. Skin reaction and build up of fluid could suggest lots of things but if it were an infection I would want to be on antibiotics right away ... Maybe your family doc can advise in that respect?
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Shotohips

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 03:42:19 PM »
Hi All,

Thank you for your responses. Regarding the SKIN SENSITIVITY, I have never had any issues before. How things developed were like this:

1 wk prior to surgery, I was under general anesthesia to remove a 9mm kidney stone. Prior to that, I was very stressed for many reasons. The removal of the stone was a success and Dr De Smet was in touch w me the entire process. Got an all-clear for surgery from the urologist & from the pre-op exam.

I cannot recall exactly, but I remember seeing a skin reaction on my arm right before surgery, but I am not 100% sure if this was right before, or right after surgery...I think right before.

After the surgery, the first time my bandage was changed, I had itchiness all over my body. I notified Dr De Smet & the nurse. There was no conclusion as it could be too many things.
On my last day, when the nurse changed the bandage, as soon as the bandage was changed, there was a reaction & the nurse said I was allergic to the bandage. Fast forward to my last bandage change, I broke out again where the bandage was, but I had itchiness all over my body.

At this point, I concluded it was the bandage, but to side with caution, I stopped all medication. I tested the bandage on my arm & broke out right away where it was.

What happened next was odd - no more bandage, but my skin became plain old sensitive - to today -, where if you scratched my skin, it would welt, or any touch like lying on my arm or the collar of my shirt would make my skin red & sensitive.

It is now much milder until I had another extremely stressful day.

Regarding the FLUID around the hip:

That has been very pronounced today after bending & lifting heavy dog last night, but looking back, I recall I have always had a slight fluid sack from a previous road bike accident way back. TBH I cannot distinguish what's what right now. I am just trying to be positive.

My next course of action is to one-by-one rule everything out. I am having a hard time; I have a lot of back-and-forth of being excessively worried & logical.

Best

Rahi

p.s. I wrote a second email to Dr De Smet & also offered to go to Ghent, since it is easily reachable for me.

Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

karlos.bell

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 02:25:01 AM »
 8) No worries Shoto Hips. Kidney stones does not sound good. 2 Books to read as you sound an intelligent person in which I did and helped me tremendously after surgeries as I also had heaps of.
Dr Loren Cordain The Paleo Diet. 1st. Dr Loren Cordain The Paleo Answe 2nd. Read them.
Ha I don't know how intelligent I am at times.....?

The squishy sound from my experience is too much fluid in the joint due to imbalances of muscles and the capsule not tight enough, Remember it is a prosthetic joint and it has been pulled apart so it takes some time to get it all going again, FAI also screws you over as what Hernanu said with muscle imbalance. It is a complicated joint. Yes wait for it to heal and the pain takes some time to go this can be tendons - ligaments re-functioning and tissue rebuilding so you have to take time. Exercise then 2 days off.
My left leg now is getting some strength back in it after 3 years and I am back at my exercises again to rebuild what FAI destroyed. It is hard work older rebuilding from FAI rather than other issues due to imbalances the muscles through your life. It took 2 years for the dull pain to go and yes I get the clunking and have had squeaking but this is all normal. The joint runs on fluid not the surface. Hey I can kick a ball now and sprint but some of my weakness is in the glut min and med. This needs to get better then others follow suit. Quads - Ham - Rotors - Even then once these get stronger your back has to do the same and so does your abs... Then the hips get stronger. Remember it is surgery you had not an injury. The joint should not fail and is built to last.

Probably the best at present 1 day exercise 2 days off then see how you go.
Sounds like you were lucky the first time where as I had both done and the worst hip was the best hip?
Vis-a Versa for the left side..
For the grinding take it back to the steps and do the motion slow. Try and get the muscles to help the joint.
I would not be worried at all from my experience except to say your through surgery congrats! and your onto recovery........
The longer you had FAI the worse muscle imbalance so the longer the recovery is all I can say from my experience.
Being 7 years on crutches did not help my case. But I can walk now  so man that is a massive improvement of life. Stick at it. But take it easy.
I hope this helps. Cheers K :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:39:08 AM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Shotohips

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 05:38:24 AM »
Happy Saturday everyone! I'm feeling really grateful this morning, and I thought of everyone in this community. Thank you for everything.

Hopefully, when all of this passes, I can host some of you in the Mont Blanc massif for any activity you would like, celebrating the adversities. Cheese tasting is an activity BTW
 :)

Please let me know if you are ever in the region.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 05:39:15 AM by Shotohips »
Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

Shotohips

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 06:11:03 AM »
Hi All,

Couple of updates.. Saw my GP, who also studied sports medicine, and his thoughts are the skin stuff has derived from another allergy (most likely the adhesive) and/or from stress. Highly doubts it is the implants. He referred me to allergist who has a 6 month wait period. I will look for someone else.

Got x-rays done. Radiologist says there is nothing abnormal and there is homogeneous bone growth are the implants. My untrained eye sees my left hip at 55 degrees and my right at 47. Worrying..

Feel free to input.

Dr. De Smet got back to me.. in his words, "x-rays are perfect". He is going to schedule to see me soon to do more tests (mri) since I have a paragliding event at the end of April. I must say, this man has been great to me.

Mentally, i'm not that well. I am learning a lot about myself as the fears can be overwhelming at times. I am working on it.

***Update***
MARS MRI scheduled this Wednesday and see Dr. De Smet on Thursday.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:36:39 AM by Shotohips »
Left Conserve+, 6/7/17
Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat