+-

Author Topic: Working While 10% Weight Bearing??  (Read 915 times)

Owl

Working While 10% Weight Bearing??
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:24:37 PM »
Has anyone here gone back to work while 10% weight bearing?  If so, how did you manage it?

I live alone and even getting dressed by myself is a big deal (I had surgery 16 days ago and have mostly been sitting around the house in my boxers).  I don't see how I'd drive and get a walker/crutches in and out of a car by myself.  My work is mainly a desk job but my workplace isn't the handicap friendliest place.

I'm thinking I really just need to just stay home until I have some significant weight bearing ability.  I have at least 4 more weeks at 10% then, hopefully, ramping up after that.

vonhouser

Re: Working While 10% Weight Bearing??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »
I'm just curious, why are you 10% weight bearing? And who did the surgery?
49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

Owl

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
I'm just curious, why are you 10% weight bearing? And who did the surgery?

Dr. Gross did my surgery.  I'm 10% weight bearing because of bone cysts in some areas that required bone grafts.  After 10% weight bearing for six weeks I have X-rays and PT ROM measurements taken locally (I live 900 miles away), send them to the Dr. for review then await further instructions for increased weight bearing.  He talked like the best case was increasing the weight bearing through week eight then on a cane for another four weeks after that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:57:00 PM by Owl »

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:43:31 PM »
I would just not rush it.  If you can afford to just stay put and rest it, do so.  Dr. Gross is the best (did mine in 2012), and I would follow his recommendation to a "T".  Also, you have the rest of your life to work out, pain-free.  Don't potentially mess it up by pushing too fast too soon.

In a year, you'll hardly remember the hip pain at all.  In six, you won't ever think about it.

Best of luck!

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

ArthriticHip

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »
I wouldn't risk going back to work. Just not worth it. Stay home and heal. You've gone through so much in getting this surgery, don't risk hurting your recovery by rushing back to work too soon. With only a 10% weight bearing recommendation from your surgeon it would only take a minor slip getting out of your car to potentially hurt yourself, not much margin for error.

Good luck.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

LMS

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 03:16:31 AM »
I echo what the others say, if you can, take as much time off as you can, don't rush & follow the doctor's advice.  I'm lucky in a way that my husband & I are self employed, so, though it took some juggling & lots of favours (first time especially because our boys were young), we managed.  When we were really stuck, I'd go show a student how to do a job (we run a design, sign & print shop) and go sit or lie back down.  It put a lot of stress on my husband but he understood that recovery was important.

But I understand the pressure of having to return to work.

Recent Posts

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:20:40 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:17:26 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 26, 2021, 01:21:55 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear