+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recent Surgery Questions  (Read 2300 times)

ras

Recent Surgery Questions
« on: March 24, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »
I had my hip resurfaced on Thursday March 15 with dr. Su at HSS   I have a number of questions.

I have some tingling at the edges of my fingertips my surgery was last Thursday still not able to sleep on my stomach. Very uncomfortable getting into and out of a chair quite painful. range of motion seems very very limited. Still running a low-grade fever of 99 the first night home from hospital was running a 103.5 with Tylenol in me.

I would appreciate someone sharing their experiences with me and giving me some advice. 

Thank You.

karlos.bell

Re: Recent Surgery Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 04:24:22 PM »
 :) Hi Ras. Takes some time. 10 days is real early to ask for too much......... Dr Su is a great specilist from what I have read so be confident....
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

ras

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 04:36:41 PM »
Thank you for the vote of confidence. My other big concern is the groin pain that I experienced pre-surgery for three years is still exactly the same post-surgery should I be concerned?

blinky

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »
I agree with Karlos. I am amazed you are even trying to sleep on your stomach. I was snoozing in the recliner ten days out, avoiding the bed altogether. I didn't have much pain, save for at the incision sites, but those were very tender. I didn't want to be bumped! I was just beginning to trust my legs to hold me. Swelling was my biggest issue, and sometimes I felt the swelling down in my feet.

Are you icing? Putting your feet up? Taking pain meds? How is your swelling? Could that be the source of the tingling? (I assume you mean your toes are tingling. If it is your fingertips, then IDK.)

When do you have your follow up?

ras

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 05:06:41 PM »
Yes I am continually icing. And yes I am taking my pain meds as needed. My biggest concern 10 days out is the groin pain that is the same pre and post Surgical. I understand it is only 10 days out but I'm hoping that surgery will be viewed as a success in 6 months

ras

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »
Follow up with dr. Su 4 to 6 weeks post-op

ArthriticHip

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 08:47:17 PM »
Hi Ras - I'm a few weeks ahead of you in my recovery. I'll be 4 weeks post op on Monday. Only being 10 days out you have SO much recovery and healing that's going to take place. I also had a mild fever the first few days I was home from surgery. This concerned me so I called my surgeon's office and they said this was very normal. It eventually subsided and never returned. I slept on my back for 3 weeks without even attempting a different position. This made for some horrible night's sleep, but I just didn't feel comfortable trying a different position, even though my surgeon (Dr Brooks of Cleveland Clinic) doesn't have any range of motion restrictions post-op.  I've just this week started rolling onto my side, which has been helpful in getting a better night's sleep. One thing I've noticed is that from day to day there are plenty of different types of aches and pains in different places that seem to show up, and then go away. I've tried to measure my progress in terms of weeks, instead of days. If you spend some time on this forum you'll see many report that they are still seeing improvements a year after their surgery. Everyone's recovery is different, but for many the first 2-3 weeks is pretty difficult. I felt extremely fragile for the 1st two weeks. At 4 weeks my leg/hip is starting to feel somewhat normal again. I try to focus on the long term and stay positive knowing that in 2, 3, 6 months from now my hip will feel completely different (better) than it does right now.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

ras

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:23:43 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration I sure hope in 6 months we both say we made a great decision!

ras

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 09:57:38 PM »
I just had 2 buddies in the last two years who had their hip resurfaced with dr. Sue had complained of groin pain they said it was gone almost immediately. My concern is it's now 10 days and the groin pain feels exactly the way it did before the surgery. I hopeI hope I'm notnot one of those resurfacing non success stories. I am trying to stay positive and realize it's only been a little over a week. thanks

MattJersey

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 06:33:59 AM »
I am pretty sure you will feel completely different, 600% better in six months. 10 days really isn't much. Undoubtedly the groin pain is the fact that you have been sliced open and sewn back together.

I remember worrying about every little twinge and thinking I've screwed it up by walking too far etc etc. But they're pretty resilient. I would suggest taking it very slow, do the exercises very carefully and on schedule. Don't over do things but equally don't under do them: rebuilding strength is key to having a stable and flexible hip.

Expect pains and niggles for six weeks at least, at which point your outlook will be very different and you will look back on your concerns today wondering why you got so concerned (it's a pretty serious op and our entire future is connected to its success, that's why!)

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

ras

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »
Thanks i will repost at the 4 week interval again thank you for your words of encouragement...

ras

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just checking in at what point should i be worried about persistent groin pain? I am 10 days Post op but groin pain is the same exact pain as pre op?
Thanks RAS

Quig

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 10:31:20 PM »
Hey Ras,

I hate to say it, but at 10 days you're just starting to tip-toe into recovery territory. It's gonna hurt. For a while.

I would suggest that the pain you're experiencing now is NOT the pain you were experiencing before... because, the thing that was causing pain before (bone on bone OA) is GONE. Yes, it hurts... and it's going to hurt for some time to come. You have serious healing to do... both bone healing and soft tissue healing (which takes some serious time...).

Relax. You're really, really, REALLY early into the process. You're going to be fine and going to be so happy you had this done just like the vast majority of the rest of us. Don't overthink it. Just relax and let your body heal.

Good luck.
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

ras

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »
Thank you for those kind inspiring words.I will report back in very soon...Cheers

byebye

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 04:47:09 PM »
I am at about 9 weeks tomorrow.  At 10 days I had lots of pain and swelling- and groin area muscles very weak.   I think it took me until about 3 weeks before I had a feeling of im getting better each day!  Hang in there, as others have said very very early. 

ras

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »
17 days Post op walking with can doing aabou 1 half mile a day last 3 days.still alot of surgical pain and groin muslle still feels like it did prr op.

Hope things improve . stay tuned..

ras

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 05:09:22 PM »
3 weeks Post op feeling pretty good walking with a cane.Still upset about feeling groin pain as I was preopp for past2 years.. I remain positive and hoping for a good outcome...

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear