+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 weeks Post Op  (Read 2159 times)

Maureen

2 weeks Post Op
« on: March 26, 2018, 06:12:03 PM »
I'm 2 weeks post op and feeling better every day.   I've been fortunate that I didn't have very much pain after the procedure (took my last narcotic two days after surgery) and I am able to mostly walk without a cane now.   However,  I did feel pretty lousy starting at about day 5 or 6 with flu-like symptoms and migraines every day and have been very tired and also wasn't able to sleep very well.   Reading the boards, it seems like that is just my body's  reaction to the trauma of the surgery?    I am starting to feel a little better now so hopefully it will continue to improve... 
But I have one non-serious but annoying complication - did anyone else have an allergic reaction to the adhesive from the bandage?   The itching is about to drive me crazy. :o
Maureen
Right HR 3/12/18 - Dr Gross

claudia

Re: 2 weeks Post Op
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 06:46:03 PM »
Maureen, consider yourself lucky! I had the WORST post surgery pain ever and couldn't keep down the narcotics even with Zofran.  9 days later I am off the pain meds but on the slow program so crutches for 6 weeks.  It was not a cakewalk for me by any means.  Did not expect my recovery to be so much more intensive than most.  I can relate to the headaches that hit me about day 4 and almost every night woke me up ( in addition to the pain in the hip).  They have finally subsided.  Perhaps something attributed to the drugs?  I have great difficulty sleeping.  I'm not one who likes sleeping on my back and I can only stay on my side for a short time before I get a lot of pain in my hip.
I can't tell but do you still have a bandage on the incision or is that the redness from the itching?
Perhaps it's a reaction from the Bacitram ointment? 

Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

Maureen

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 03:37:41 PM »
Claudia,  I am so very sorry that you have had so much pain!   But I am glad to hear that things are improving 9 days out.     I am three weeks out and  here is the list of things that were better and worse than expected for me:

Better:  Very little hip pain, no pain meds after day 3, no cane for the last 6 days, walked over a mile (slowly) a few days ago and already feel so much more fluid (in addition to the bone on bone arthritis pain, I had a severe femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) which meant I  had a horrible ROM and couldn't move very well before). Swelling has finally subsided and my leg is mostly normal size.   Incision is healing very nicely. 

Worse:  The constipation at days 2-5 was awful!   And then I felt like CRAP for a few weeks starting at day 5-6.  Headaches, night sweats, super fatigued.  And my sleep was very impacted -  I didn't sleep solidly until a few nights ago.  And of course the adhesive allergy which started with the surgical covering (if you look at the picture - the red area is the perfect outline of the surgical bandage adhesive - the center where the incision and Bactriban was applied is not red).   To confirm, the surgical tape I used after to hold gauze in place after the original bandage was removed, raised huge welts as well (so the front of my hip/thigh area looks almost like its been burned) and then I got a full body rash which is just today finally beginning to fade.  Ugh.  And while my hip feels wonderful walking  - my lower back not so much - very sore!   I want to just pull my knees up to my chest and stretch in the worst way (but that would of course break the 90 degree rule).   Anyone have good back stretches ;-)  ?    Finally sitting for any length of time is still uncomfortable and in the first few weeks was really wishing that I had a good recliner...    Assuming that will get better as well.   

Please keep us posted on your healing - sending prayers and healing vibes !!
Maureen

claudia

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 01:30:06 PM »
Maureen, I'm glad the sleep issue isn't just me.  Echhh. Horrible.  I'm ok sitting but when I lie down I'm miserable.  I turn on my non-operative side until I hurt about 20 minutes later.  I feel if I could get more sleep I'd heal faster but so far, the sleeping issue seems to be getting worse.  It's almost like restless leg syndrome. I feel like my nerves are all on edge and my toes are cramping.  I'm sure it's related to all the healing going on - skin, muscles, tendons.  I just want to toss the crutches and start walking but still have 4 weeks to go.  I've avoided sleeping all propped up but it seems that is when i am in the least amount of pain.  Will try that tonight or also, I've read on the board that zero gravity chairs help.  My only issue is getting in and out of the chair. 
Speedy recoveries to us both!
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM