+-

Author Topic: Expectations vs Reality - 2 weeks out  (Read 1886 times)

claudia

Expectations vs Reality - 2 weeks out
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »
Well, not trying to be negative but I'm pretty bummed with my progression.  Either I am the exception,   my expectations were not correct or something is wrong.
I guess after reading all the wonderful testimonials of how the pre-operative hip pain is nearly gone post operative, I'm wondering what the heck happened to me?  Today is 2 weeks post surgery and I have seen zero progression in my pain level.  I am miserable at night, I am on only 10% weight bearing and in pain most of the day. I stopped taking narcotics at least a week ago because they make me sick even with the anti nausea drugs.  I feel trapped by crutches, cannot go anywhere or do anything because of the pain. 
I have to laugh at the fact that I was told I could drive in 4 days.  I can barely lift my leg out of bed.  My foot and leg still want to hang outward, laterally, and the pain in my butt is of course worse then ever.  My husband keeps wanting me to call the surgeon but really, what is he going to do?  I'm 450 miles away and pretty much have been told that "everyone heals at their own pace".  Since I don't seem to be "healing" at all I am beginning to wonder whether I will end up having to have some sort of revision and just a full hip replacement?  Pretty depressed at no improvements.  Has anyone had this issue?
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

blinky

Re: Expectations vs Reality - 2 weeks out
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »
I didn't but wanted to acknowledge that I read your story and am sorry you are having a crappy time. I am glad you posted and hope you will keep posting.

Advice? Nothing you haven't heard. Ice, elevate, take the pain meds you can tolerate, including Tylenol. Eat. Get out of the house. Focus on small victories and pleasures, like making your own coffee in the morning. Don't be afraid to call the doc's office. Maybe they have seen a case like yours.

Good luck.

catfriend

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
Hmmmm. You might have had realistic expectations initially, but the issues with your bone scan and being on this slow recovery and only 10% weight bearing may have changed what the reality would be. Walking pain free within a day and driving after 4 days were over optimistic, though. OTOH to have no reduction in pain at all after two weeks doesn't sound right, either. While I experienced pain (controlled through meds) post surgery, by two weeks out I would only take the occasional Tramadol when this one particular spot would act up. It seems to me that by this time you should have seen some, if not substantial, reduction in pain. You have seen none, and maybe it is worse in your butt. The question is: why are you still in so much pain? Was there something unusual in the surgery that would cause this? Allergy to the dressing? Possible infection (are you feverish? hot spot around the wound?)? I suggest calling your surgeon's office. Yes, he may be 450 miles away, and yes, different people heal at different rates, but at this point I think asking why you're not making any progress at all is reasonable. Maybe there is something particular to your case that is causing this, I don't know. Hopefully it can at least be controlled without making you sick. Good luck, and feel better.

Quig

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:44:43 PM »
Hi Clauidia, I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through...

I think there's a lot that goes into how we all react to this process, and I'm going to try to hopefully calm you down and cheer you up. First, as you're no doubt well aware, this surgery is a big deal and recovery takes serious time. There's a whole lot of cutting and grinding and drilling and pounding and then they put you back together and send you home to heal. I know you're a bit down right now but you're very, very early in this process. It sounds like your Dexa scan wasn't ideal and Dr. G (I think I recall you went to Dr. Gross?) put you on a very conservative recovery program. Being tied to crutches or a walker or both out of necessity and caution I'm sure is not fun at all but I'm sure there's good reason for it. As far as pain, yeah... it's going to be a problem for a while. I remember marveling at my bone-on-bone pain being gone but damn, everything else was sure uncomfortable. It will get better... Hang in there!

I'm going to go on a bit of an unsolicited editorial here so bear with me... All of us go into these surgeries at different ages and fitness levels and with different pain thresholds and with different bone densities and different recovery rates and certainly varying expectations for recovery. There are some of us (I'm guilty of this) who got on here and gave updates mainly when positive because we were so happy with our progress. While I recovered well and quickly and usually had a smile on my face, don't take that to mean it was easy. There was PLENTY of pain and weakness and unsteadiness and worry and fear for a hundred different reasons. Every time I felt a sharp gripe or had a lasting ache or felt like something 'popped' I was convinced I'd messed everything up and was in big trouble. Sleeping was not easy. Getting in and out of bed was awful. The toilet? Oh, jeez... I won't even go there. But I didn't mention that stuff much in my posts. I cheered about the victories and focused on those instead. The recovery is every bit as much an emotional, psychological roller coaster as it is a physical one. However, it seems that the vast majority of us on here DID recover to a point we're more than pleased with and I think you will too... it's just going to take time. I know it's hard, but please try to relax. It's sooooo early. Your body is hard at work and I know it's tough. I really like Blinky's advice of savoring the small victories. Even the very smallest of them... Try not to get down and keep coming back for reassurance, we all are here to help.

Also, don't hesitate to call the surgeon or his staff. If it's Dr. Gross, I know he has an amazing crew that are there to help you.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:54:43 PM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

surratt

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »
I will say from reading some stories on here I also had an unrealistic expectation of what week 1 and 2 would be like.  Me personally i couldnt notice the arthritic pain was gone until the actual surgery pain diminished.  It just hurt so much to move period for the first couple of weeks that I would never rant and rave about any improvements in pain as I read people here do.  I would constantly ask the same questions as you "what is wrong with my why dont i feel like some of these people describe?"

But I settled into my recovery and it started happening fast.  It helped me to go watch the actual surgery videos to realize the trauma that occurs to those muscles during surgery, its a massive surgery to your body and it wont work right for awhile.  But here I am 3.5 months after a bilateral and even though i have more work to do healing im happy as a clam the arthritic pain.

Be patient and settle in for the ride is my best advice
Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Gross
12/13/17
12/15/17

Maureen

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »
Claudia - I am so sorry to hear how hard this has been for you!   I love what Quig wrote - most of us have posted the positive sides of recovery and not focused as much on the harder parts. And every person's recovery is going to be different.  You sharing your experiences is providing validation that this IS hard and it is OK to struggle.
For me, pain wasn't the biggest issue.  Yes, it was there: my leg and butt had significant swelling and it felt like someone took a baseball bat to my quads/glutes and I still can't really move the leg laterally without stabbing pain and of course the incision hurt.   But for me the pain was different than the grinding joint pain that I had pre-surgery and somehow much more tolerable.  Also, I did find week two to be the hardest - I just generally felt horrible - like I had the flu.  Night sweats,bad migraines, low fever,  horrible sleep, constant fatigue, and I had a full blown reaction to the adhesive from the bandage (and surgical tape that I used afterwards) that resulted in a full body rash (which is still visible but finally starting to heal!) 
 Also, I just starting driving a few days ago.   I was only on the narcotics for a few days and was told I could drive after that but there was NO WAY.   I simply didn't feel "with it" enough to be operating a car and I couldn't master the left leg braking (since it was my right hip).
As others have said, you are very very early on and have a more complicated recovery so be gentle with yourself and your expectation AND please call the doctor if you continue to have no improvement in pain.  I am hopeful that you will start seeing an improvement SOON.  I am on week 3 and see a big difference in my general health/well being - finally finally starting to sleep again which helps dramatically! 
Sending healing and giant hugs to you! <3 
Please keep us posted...
Maureen
Dr. Gross Right HR 3/12/18 [size=78%]   [/size]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:33:55 AM by Maureen »

claudia

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »
Thank you ever so much for everyone who replied.  I was having so much trepidation and wondering whether I made the right decision.  I appreciate your personal testimonies and can now see that I am not alone in all the recovery issues I seem to be having.  I think the psychological toll, for me, is as bad as the physical.  Being stuck on crutches doesn't really allow me to access any "improvements".    I suppose after 6 weeks I will be able to tell a bit more.  Reading your stories has made me feel sooo much better.  I can see my struggles are not unique.  Thank you so much for replying.
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

ras

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 02:44:29 AM »
I am 3 weeks Post op and wondering if I made the right decision as well.My issue pre-op was terrible pain in my groin area.I am an avid basketball player 55 yeard old was told groin pain would be gone after surgery,well week 3 here I am same exact groin pain along with surgical recovery pain.Im praying groin pspain leaves me and I made the right decision to have this surgery with dr su...

MattJersey

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
Ras, three weeks is nothing. Patience is a virtue. I would wager my life savings (all 50 cents :) ) that doctor Su wouldn't have operated if you were not a suitable candidate. As others have noted on this thread and your own, patience is necessary and a dedication to following the exercise protocol prescribed for you. Anything other than that would be ill advised.

Try to avoid worrying as it won't help. Focus on diligently doing what the doctor advised, and if you are still struggling or inclined to worry, call his office and talk.

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

ras

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
Thank you for your encouraging words.I am trying to stay positive just dposp to 22 buddies who had similar groin pain and got immediate relief.I know paintanc is a virtue... check back in soon. thanks RAS

karlos.bell

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 05:08:22 AM »
 :) Patience guys. Mine took 1 year to go right side. My left leg experienced the biggest hit. After 3 years now I am finally getting strength back into the left leg. I took maybe 8 weeks before I could lift my right leg-- Grion pain but however doc said wait 3 months before doing this. Resurfacing is worth the wait.

Take it from me it takes time. All the best...... K

2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

ras

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 01:32:54 AM »
k- did you mean to say you had groin pain for 3 year's after hip resurfacing surgery?
Thanks RAS

ras

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 04:48:47 PM »
1 month anniversary today.Soo disappointed my groin pain feels exactly like it did pre surgery.I am meeting Dr Su next week.I will post his reply to my issue..i remain cautiously optimistic ..RAS

karlos.bell

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 03:26:16 PM »
 :) about 1 year. right side. Try getting an Xray done to check alignment
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

ras

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »
Met with PA yesterday said groin pain wss common at 1 month mark and assured me it would disapait over time.
Once again I remain cautiously optimistic said my alignment perfect.Very strange seeing that part on x-ray knowing that is in MY body now.

Like Billy Joel says"I'm keeping the faith"

Audious for now.. RAS

karlos.bell

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 03:36:33 AM »
 :) Good stuff. Takes time Ras. Believe me I went through it....... 8) The muscles - tendons - ligaments have to restrengthen from the loss of function. It is this loss that when you regain strength  the pain will go. Try the other method first and ice and then heat to regenerate better blood flow. It is very hard due the hip is very deep. Cheers K
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2007-Injury wakeboarding

ras

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 11:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence my PA said the alignment was perfect and growing pain should hopefully dissipate in time. I I sure hope so it will be 6 weeks this Thursday and still same groin pain although Ialthough I am walking finally without a cane. So I do see some light at the end of the tunnel andand it not hey train. Thanks to all the hippies  on this site.Audioud for know..RAS

ArthriticHip

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
Hey Ras - Thought I would pass along my recovery experience as I can relate to some of what you're going through. I'm a little ahead of you, I just passed the 8 week mark since my hip resurfacing surgery with Dr Books of the Cleveland Clinic. I was on a 75% weight bearing restriction through 6 weeks. Up to that point my recovery had gone very well. At the 6 week mark my hip was feeling good aside from some occasional soreness, and I was getting along really well on my crutches. My x-ray looked good so I was given the OK to lose the crutches. I must say, it was more difficult than I had hoped to begin putting 100% of my weight on the leg. I was walking with a pretty good limp. I was determined to walk my way through the soreness, but my muscles and ligaments weren't having anything to do with it. I had a nerve in my buttocks (sciatic nerve?) start flaring up, and it felt like it was catching on my implant as I walked. It sent a shooting pain down the side of my leg. After about a week, I hadn't seen much improvement and I started to grow concerned about whether or not this nerve/ligament situation would start to resolve. I know 7 weeks is EXTREMELY early in the recovery process, but it's concerning if you don't feel like you're seeing progress. I decided to just take a break. I stopped trying to push through the pain, and just let my leg rest, and iced several times through the day. After a few days of this, I noticed a drastic improvement.  Each of the past 4 days has been better then the last. Today I'm walking with no limp, and no pain. The last few days it's finally felt like all of this was worth it. I hope you'll see the same improvement in your recovery. 
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

Recent Posts

Re: 8 Years Left / 15 Years Right -- checking in by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM

Re: Nadine Soffer 20 Year Update Hip Resurfacing Dr Schmalzreid 2001 by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:03:38 PM

Re: Deciding what to do... by 23109VC
November 23, 2021, 12:02:15 PM

Re: My Resurfacing Journey by LarryBud
November 22, 2021, 08:42:31 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal