+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Replacement and Home 12 Hours Later!!!  (Read 2840 times)

Creakyhips

• 38 with a resurfaced left hip, right to follow?
    • My experience having a BHR including surgical error
Hip Replacement and Home 12 Hours Later!!!
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:46 AM »
Hi all,

This amazes and scares me in equal measure!

I picked this little snippet up soon after coming out of hospital and for me the thought of being discharged, self administering painkillers and having an external care package just screams cheap, cheap, cheap - or the NHS capping costs. Has anyone experienced this, can you allay my concerns?

If nothing else have a peek, its amazing! 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7526436.stm

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip Replacement and Home 12 Hours Later!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:49:26 AM »
Hi James

I read about doctors developing a technique for a mis hip that was to be done as an outpatient!  I know some of the partial knees are being done as outpatients which mean they go home after surgery.  I don't know if I would want to do that, but the hosptials here in the US don't want to keep you either.  Due to the many infections that people are getting in the hospitals, maybe it is best we don't stay long.

I am glad I had a day and 1/2 in the hospital after surgery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ahershberger

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:40:13 AM »
WOW...
I don't think I would have gone through with the bhr surgery if I had to go home the same day. Don't get me wrong; I've had 2 c-sections (vertical incisions due to breach) and I stayed in the hospital 4 days with each.  However, just a few years ago I had a tummy tuck (scar repair) and came home the same day.  My BHR has been way easier mostly because I didn't have to deal with the drains and I was helped for 3 nights and 4 days. My facility was a stand-alone physician owned inpatient floor that only takes 6 inpatients (for patients without any other medical problem) at a time. I had nurses always asking to help me and get me whatever I needed.  Wow! It was great...now I know I can make it through my left hip in December.

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:56:51 PM »
What a shocker..Thanks for sharing that James. I had surgery 1pm on a Monday and was discharged Wednesday at 2pm. I was ready to go but 12 hrs seems too short to me. I enjoyed the wonderful care I received during my stay. The nurses even sent ME a thank you for letting THEM take care of me.

Ahershberger,
My son was born 4 mths premature and I had to have an emergency c-section. The c-section pain was 10 times worse then my hip resurfacing. Good Luck with your left hip!

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:18:31 PM by CITY2SOUTH »
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

dgm

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:10:28 AM »
well that made me feel like a real wimp!  I can't imagine going home to 4 kids 12 hours after surgery. As I recall, I was quite a slug 12 hours post op.

I'll second the c-section comments - I had two and they were far and away worse than hip surgery.  In fact, there was no comparison on the pain chart in my humble opinion.  I'd take hip surgery any day (even though I'm glad I got my kids out of the c-section deal)

Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

Creakyhips

• 38 with a resurfaced left hip, right to follow?
    • My experience having a BHR including surgical error
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:41:31 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately I haven't had nor am I likely to have a C-section but my wife has and from memory she was far worse off than than me! however if you check out my blog www.creakyhips.blogspot.com, my surgery was far from usual as they had to open me up to remove the alignment pin that was left behind.

As for coming home 12 hours later...no way thanks, i will suffer hospital food just that bit longer! 

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:06:35 PM »
Creakyhips- That blog is awesome....I'll save it so I can go back and read it thoroughly. Hospital food wasn't to bad but my hubby brought me Olive Garden anyway..Yum!
Thanks for sharing.
Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6/23/08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

fenceman

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »
I had mine on a Wednesday and they didn't release me until Saturday.  The Dr and Cleveland Clinic said this was typical.  I was very happy to go home.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz