+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canes  (Read 1037 times)

claudia

Canes
« on: May 07, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »
Had no idea there were so many types of canes:  T-handle, Offset, curved handle.  Is one any better than the other post hip resurfacing?  Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

John C

Re: Canes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:45:42 PM »
I have found that the curved handles are the least stable, since when you rest any weight on them, the curved handle tends to want to roll under your hand. I have found that any flatter handle works best, and my favorite is slightly offset. I also really like the type that quickly separates into short sections that can be folded up into a total length of about a foot. These are very convenient to stash in a carry bag just in case you might need it later in a long day.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

claudia

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:11:17 PM »
Well, I ordered my new cane but not doing well with it.  Bought an offset style and either it's me or I am not ready for this but when I use it it wobbles all over the place.  I can't stop it from wobbling.  The height is set correctly, I'm using on the opposite side of surgery but it just doesn't seem to support any of my weight without wobbling.  It's darn right dangerous at this point so I'm back to using one crutch.  I walk really great with one crutch and I am now supposed to be on a cane but this just isn't going to work for me.   Any thoughts?  THanks
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

John C

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 02:20:16 PM »
Your description exactly matches my experience. As long as I know that I need the support, I plan on using the single crutch. When I am walking well enough to not need support most of the time, then I move to carrying a cane around as a back-up for when my hip fatigues and just needs some help to get to the next place that I can rest it. Another option would be an arm crutch which is sort of midway between a full length crutch and a cane. My own crutches are kind of a nice combo, in that I am able to take the top half of the crutch off just above the handle, and use the lower part as a cane with an offset handle. I can leave the top half on, or take it off and leave it in the house or car depending on how strong my hip is feeling and how long I expect to be on my feet. I am attaching a link to a crutch similar to what I use which provides three different options, though you probably would not want to spend more money on these things at this point:http://www.tuvie.com/foldable-crutches-for-better-mobility-and-comfort/
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Owl

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
I have the T-handle cane in both the standard and folding versions and find them to be quite stable and satisfactory .

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat